Spinning heel kick vs spinning hook kick

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference that I know of is that with the spinning hook kick, you tightly rechamber at point of impact, wheras in the spinning heel kick you do not, although you might rechamber post impact.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Problem is there are no universally accepted definitions across systems. In the Chang Hon system the reverse Hook kick is almost done like a Back Piercing kick but as if the target is about 15 degrees from where the back kick would be and after the kick is extended to that spot the knee is rapidly bent.. whereas the reverse turning kick has the leg straight much earlier, almost from the inception of the kick.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Problem is there are no universally accepted definitions across systems. In the Chang Hon system the reverse Hook kick is almost done like a Back Piercing kick but as if the target is about 15 degrees from where the back kick would be and after the kick is extended to that spot the knee is rapidly bent.. whereas the reverse turning kick has the leg straight much earlier, almost from the inception of the kick.

The reverse turning kick is not the traditional spinning heal kick precisely because the leg is always straight. So that's why to avoid confusion, it's better to label it as a separate kick IMO

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference that I know of is that with the spinning hook kick, you tightly rechamber at point of impact, wheras in the spinning heel kick you do not, although you might rechamber post impact.
As Earl Weiss said, it varies across systems but here is what we teach.
"Hook" is a literal term used in describing the trajectory of the foot. It is a kick used when closer in and the chamber is tight and high at the Beginning of the kick. Most often it is thrown Over the opponents shoulder from their back side. Thinking of the hooking motion, the foot arcs outward, striking with the heel. The foot is used to displace the person, striking the head near the close ear or back of the head, able to move them forward, and toward you if desired. There is always follow-though on a hook kick so that you return the kicking leg back to a rear leg position; at least to a front leg position if you get off balance.
A spinning heel I am assuming is what is often called a Wheel kick. There are a few variations used in competition sparring. The most common is thrown from the rear leg with little to no bend in the knee, quickly rising to the target level, traveling horizontal through the target, then returning to the floor. Much more of a torsional kick than the heel kick.
Probably the most used technique in Olympic level TKD right now. If you are good at them they are as fast or faster than a lead leg kick. Very, very powerful kicks but most often thrown full out with little control so they can be a dangerous kick for non-seasoned people when sparring.
Traditionally, they are taught as a more circular kick but it you watch most high level fighters today that take more of a trapezoidal trajectory.
Both kicks strike with the heel with the knee perpendicular to the floor.

I hope this helps.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As Earl Weiss said, it varies across systems but here is what we teach.
"Hook" is a literal term used in describing the trajectory of the foot. It is a kick used when closer in and the chamber is tight and high at the Beginning of the kick. Most often it is thrown Over the opponents shoulder from their back side. Thinking of the hooking motion, the foot arcs outward, striking with the heel. The foot is used to displace the person, striking the head near the close ear or back of the head, able to move them forward, and toward you if desired. There is always follow-though on a hook kick so that you return the kicking leg back to a rear leg position; at least to a front leg position if you get off balance.
A spinning heel I am assuming is what is often called a Wheel kick. There are a few variations used in competition sparring. The most common is thrown from the rear leg with little to no bend in the knee, quickly rising to the target level, traveling horizontal through the target, then returning to the floor. Much more of a torsional kick than the heel kick.
Probably the most used technique in Olympic level TKD right now. If you are good at them they are as fast or faster than a lead leg kick. Very, very powerful kicks but most often thrown full out with little control so they can be a dangerous kick for non-seasoned people when sparring.
Traditionally, they are taught as a more circular kick but it you watch most high level fighters today that take more of a trapezoidal trajectory.
Both kicks strike with the heel with the knee perpendicular to the floor.

I hope this helps.

No, by spinning heel kick I'm referring to a chambered spin kick. Unlike the wheel kick

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What part of the foot are you striking with?

The heel. So as far as I know it is exactly the same as the spinning hook kick, with a turn and chamber apart from the (lack of) hooking motion of the foot during impact.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The heel. So as far as I know it is exactly the same as the spinning hook kick, with a turn and chamber apart from the (lack of) hooking motion of the foot during impact.
Again, it varies across systems but in simplest terms that could be said. There is a good bit of mechanical differences between the kicks that just have to be learned through proper training and physical practice.
I am certainly good enough at writing to succinctly detail the differences. But the do exist beyond what you describe.
Even within a given kick the how/when/why will be different at advanced levels.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again, it varies across systems but in simplest terms that could be said. There is a good bit of mechanical differences between the kicks that just have to be learned through proper training and physical practice.
I am certainly good enough at writing to succinctly detail the differences. But the do exist beyond what you describe.
Even within a given kick the how/when/why will be different at advanced levels.

Just to be clear. The kick does not exist in any pattern. At least not ITF

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to be clear. The kick does not exist in any pattern. At least not ITF
Sir, not sure which you refer to buy both the reverse hook and reverse turning kicks are in the ITF / Chang Hon pattern system.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, by spinning heel kick I'm referring to a chambered spin kick. Unlike the wheel kick

With a spin there is basically no difference. It is basically interchangeable depending on where you are trying to land.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, not sure which you refer to buy both the reverse hook and reverse turning kicks are in the ITF / Chang Hon pattern system.

I'm saying the spinning heal kick is neither but rather a mix of the two

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With a spin there is basically no difference. It is basically interchangeable depending on where you are trying to land.

Agreed. Although I would amend that with depending on "when you land"

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm saying the spinning heal kick is neither but rather a mix of the two
Suffice it to say I have no idea what your distinction is between what you call a "Spinning Heel Kick" and the Chang Hon "Reverse Turning kick". You may in fact have something that distinguishes it. I just have no idea what it is.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Suffice it to say I have no idea what your distinction is between what you call a "Spinning Heel Kick" and the Chang Hon "Reverse Turning kick". You may in fact have something that distinguishes it. I just have no idea what it is.

Spinning heel kick has a chamber, reverse turning kick does not.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
The spinning hook kick is an updated version of the spinning heel kick that generates more power but is harder to execute, I believe. I could be wrong however, so please do correct me if I am.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The spinning hook kick is an updated version of the spinning heel kick that generates more power but is harder to execute, I believe. I could be wrong however, so please do correct me if I am.

Why do you say it's harder to execute? You mean the hooking timing? Yeah agree..

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I should add: spinning heel kick can be throw straight legged making it identical with an ITF reverse turning kick.
But It can also, unlike the reverse turning kick, also be chambered.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, I guess that depends on whether it's appearance in the 1972 Text is considered "Updated" since it did not appear in the 1965 text when the reverse turning kick is listed.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should add: spinning heel kick can be throw straight legged making it identical with an ITF reverse turning kick.
But It can also, unlike the reverse turning kick, also be chambered.
Now you are talking about completely different kicks. I do not understand what you are saying.

Latest Discussions