Curriculum progression

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lots of great stuff here, and I don’t have anything to add from a technique standpoint. Being a school teacher, I’ve learned that if you’re looking to put together a curriculum you should start at the top and work your way down. Then after that look at the bottom and check to see if it’s all where you want it and if it flows.

Start at 1st dan. What skills do you think are essential for a 1st dan to have? Define what is essential, what is not exactly essential but still important, and so on. Basically, prioritize. After you’ve got that, then look one step below. What do they need to have for that rank, and what do they need to move up. And so on until you get to the day 1 level.

It’s not different than looking at it from a high school perspective. What skills does a graduate need? Once you define and prioritize, you can say this is what an 11th grader should be doing, a 10th grader, etc. After that, you start at kindergarten and make sure they’re getting everything they need and keep moving up in grades.

Schools were all about this a few years ago. They realized kids were graduating without the necessary skills. When looking at the entire curriculum they also realized that what they expected from each grade didn’t exactly flow with the other grades and the curricula were basically written for each grade individually rather than part of an entire education.

It’s called curriculum mapping. Google it if you’re interested.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of great stuff here, and I don’t have anything to add from a technique standpoint. Being a school teacher, I’ve learned that if you’re looking to put together a curriculum you should start at the top and work your way down. Then after that look at the bottom and check to see if it’s all where you want it and if it flows.

Start at 1st dan. What skills do you think are essential for a 1st dan to have? Define what is essential, what is not exactly essential but still important, and so on. Basically, prioritize. After you’ve got that, then look one step below. What do they need to have for that rank, and what do they need to move up. And so on until you get to the day 1 level.

It’s not different than looking at it from a high school perspective. What skills does a graduate need? Once you define and prioritize, you can say this is what an 11th grader should be doing, a 10th grader, etc. After that, you start at kindergarten and make sure they’re getting everything they need and keep moving up in grades.

Schools were all about this a few years ago. They realized kids were graduating without the necessary skills. When looking at the entire curriculum they also realized that what they expected from each grade didn’t exactly flow with the other grades and the curricula were basically written for each grade individually rather than part of an entire education.

It’s called curriculum mapping. Google it if you’re interested.
I wasn't aware of that approach, though it's nearly identical to a method I've used to help people set goals (outside MA) when the end-point was far away and the path hard to figure. I'm adding curriculum mapping to my research list. Thanks.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that approach, though it's nearly identical to a method I've used to help people set goals (outside MA) when the end-point was far away and the path hard to figure. I'm adding curriculum mapping to my research list. Thanks.

Its also been a point of many writing courses i have taken. Start with Epilogue or final chapter... outline your way back. Keep the pacing taut and flowing. Cut the fluff. Less is more.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its also been a point of many writing courses i have taken. Start with Epilogue or final chapter... outline your way back. Keep the pacing taut and flowing. Cut the fluff. Less is more.
That is the way the majority of control programs are written as well. You start with a result or output(s) then define the conditions in which the output is turned. Then configure the exceptions and safeties. More elaborate or large reporting programs have several subsets along with this.

Latest Discussions