Speaking To The Head Honcho

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah it would have to be a weird dynamic if you couldn't talk to the head guy of the school you are attending.

I can't think of a good reason why that would occur.
No one is allowed to address the grand master directly, and to even look him squarely in the eye is forbidden.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't really get martial art clubs that aren't like that. It's obvious that not everyone knows everything, and we're all supposed to have learned humility from MA, so why not ask someone else if you don't know something? Especially if you're at a club that has someone who specializes in whatever it is?
My friend, the emphasized clause above is so funny to me. Like belly laugh funny, considering some of the folks on this forum. I can think off the top of my head of at least a couple of traditional martial arts experts on this forum who are among the least humble, most arrogant people I've ever seen or heard about. Let's be realistic about this.

I do agree with the sentiment, though, that folks should be able to ask questions of whomever knows the answer, whether it's the owner/head honcho or another student. If that's not the case, the culture in that school is (in my opinion) broken.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do you think the answers and feedback are going to be any different the 17th time you ask the question?
Couldn't you just re-read the thread and get the same result?
What's your goal here? It seems like, as a Senior Moderator, you wouldn't be actively discouraging discussion on this discussion forum, even if it's the 1000th time the question has been asked and answered. If there's interest in the discussion and it's within the rules of the forum, why are you calling out the user? Seems counterproductive. You could just not respond at all, right?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The whole chain of command/hierarchy is silly.

First that is the relationship you are in. You haven't joined a military unit and given people command over you. And it's a different relationship than a store/consumer relationship.

It's an instructor/student relationship....and an instructor/student relationship that doesn't allow the student to talk to the instructor is silly.
Totally agree with what you say above. I want to add that while it's definitely an instructor/student relationship, it's also a provider/consumer relationship. Point being that it's not even as simple as one person being the teacher and the other is the student, though that's certainly part of it. But the student is paying for a service and the teacher is providing it. So, in some ways, the student is accountable to the teacher, but in some ways the teacher is accountable to his/her paying customer.

It drives me crazy when folks act like they're doing paying customers a favor by allowing them to learn their art. That's one manifestation of the crazy arrogance I referenced in an earlier response to @Monkey Turned Wolf above.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My friend, the emphasized clause above is so funny to me. Like belly laugh funny, considering some of the folks on this forum. I can think off the top of my head of at least a couple of traditional martial arts experts on this forum who are among the least humble, most arrogant people I've ever seen or heard about. Let's be realistic about this.

I do agree with the sentiment, though, that folks should be able to ask questions of whomever knows the answer, whether it's the owner/head honcho or another student. If that's not the case, the culture in that school is (in my opinion) broken.
That's why those two little supposed to words are in there ;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think the answers and feedback are going to be any different the 17th time you ask the question?
Couldn't you just re-read the thread and get the same result?
Because I haven't gotten any answers or feedback, at least I haven't gotten answers from people I've wanted to get them from such as Rusty B.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because I haven't gotten any answers or feedback, at least I haven't gotten answers from people I've wanted to get them from such as Rusty B.
Perhaps you might want to direct an inquiry to him, or even send him a private message?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking as a long time Honcho, I’d rather new or prospective students speak with me personally. I want the student to know what it is we do and how we do it, and I want to answer any and all questions they may have.

I want to show them the dojo, maybe introduce them to a student or two, or an instructor or two. I want to go over the rules and protocols.

But what I really want to do is to get a read on them. To me, this is especially important with kids. I like to get an idea if the child really wants to train, or if it’s the parents idea. I want to understand if they’re shy, hyper, have been bullied etc. And I want is to get a read on the parent(s)

It’s a whole lot easier to help people that walk into a dojo when you learn something about them.
So you run your own dojo now? If so congratulations.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you run your own dojo now? If so congratulations.

No, no, I do not. And I have no desire to ever do so again. Couldn't do that our here, anyway. Go broke too fast.

Sorry for any confusion. But thank you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Totally agree with what you say above. I want to add that while it's definitely an instructor/student relationship, it's also a provider/consumer relationship. Point being that it's not even as simple as one person being the teacher and the other is the student, though that's certainly part of it. But the student is paying for a service and the teacher is providing it. So, in some ways, the student is accountable to the teacher, but in some ways the teacher is accountable to his/her paying customer.

It drives me crazy when folks act like they're doing paying customers a favor by allowing them to learn their art. That's one manifestation of the crazy arrogance I referenced in an earlier response to @Monkey Turned Wolf above.
First you say it is a provider/consumer relationship then go on to mention that the student is paying for a service. I don't feel you understand the difference between a consumable product and a service. They really could not be more different.

You are 100% correct on the indentured student comment. Not sure it was ever apropos but it surely isn't today. That said, feel connected, owing, and obligated to a great instructor is something I hope everyone gets the experience of.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking as a long time Honcho, I’d rather new or prospective students speak with me personally. I want the student to know what it is we do and how we do it, and I want to answer any and all questions they may have.

I want to show them the dojo, maybe introduce them to a student or two, or an instructor or two. I want to go over the rules and protocols.

But what I really want to do is to get a read on them. To me, this is especially important with kids. I like to get an idea if the child really wants to train, or if it’s the parents idea. I want to understand if they’re shy, hyper, have been bullied etc. And I want is to get a read on the parent(s)

It’s a whole lot easier to help people that walk into a dojo when you learn something about them.
Nail on the head.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
First you say it is a provider/consumer relationship then go on to mention that the student is paying for a service. I don't feel you understand the difference between a consumable product and a service. They really could not be more different.

You are 100% correct on the indentured student comment. Not sure it was ever apropos but it surely isn't today. That said, feel connected, owing, and obligated to a great instructor is something I hope everyone gets the experience of.
I'm sure you're right. I just don't know the difference between a consumable and a service. Of course.

Latest Discussions