Sparring movement exercises?

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the advice! Just that there's a particular description of movements I don't get...

Back to basics.
I like the basic big square. Go back to working on the front foot drops back scoot back foot and return. Then do it forward. The back foot both font and back. Then do diagnol.
Now add a parten and have them lunge at you. If you did the first excersises for few weeks muscle memory should move you properly off the line.
If you are there the add the door move. Slide front back moving perpindicular and letting attacker come in and add returning round house. Plebty to build on.

???

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about the drift.

JKS9199 brings up a good point about sparring. Before you start the match already have in your mind what you are going to open with. This lets you set the tone for the match. This will help you gain control of the center of the ring.

Example:
1. Lead switch
2. L Jab
3. R Cross followed by L ridgehand
4. Double Kick (L front snap followed by L Round)

That is one of my favorite openers. It does these things:
1. Immediately switches leads.
2. Is predominantly Left-handed even though I am a Right-handed person.
3. Throws 5 strikes immediately.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think 6' 4" and 140-150 lbs barely qualifies as a skeleton!

I am 5'5" and skinny at 125 lbs....

Anyhow,

I had some stuff typed out, then I managed to erase it...

Practice combinations, like front leg kicks, front arm, back arm, back leg, or front leg, back leg, punches...

have a game plan when you step in the ring. Things speed up in time. But make sure when you practice you practice all moves you have learned, it opens up the possiblities later on when you don't have to plan for 15 minutes to throw a spin kick!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the past I have often shared your frustrations with sparring. I am not TKD btw, however I will share with you two tips that have helped me out immensely this year with sparring:

1. Look at the chest. Not the eyes or the legs, the chest. The shoulder alignment/shifts will tell you where the strike is coming froim next. Their eyes will deceive you, and if you stare at their legs looking for kicks you are begging to get punched in the head. Remember -- chest.

2. Do Not Anticipate. Let yourself be "in the moment" and just react to what is happening in the now. This means relaxing, and I know that's hard, but it's an important part of sparring to stay loose and not tense up. Learn to let the movements come without trying to predict them.

As an aside, are you being paired up in matches with opponents much more experienced than you? I'd look for more equal matches for the purpose of learning, especially as a beginner. I hope your instructor is overseeing you well and not just throwing you out there to sink or swim with the sharks. yes it is possible to learn that way, but very slow and frustrating for most. I'd talk to the instructor about it. If you can afford even a few private lessons, that would be an excellent idea.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol note it's WTF-style sparring for me.
One exercise that has helped me is actually one that I adapted from Kendo. The kirikaeshi.

In kendo, it begins with the partners in sonkyo (a squatting kneel with the shinai in ready position). They arise and stand in issoko-itto-no-maai (distance at which one could strike the other by taking one step) with shinai in ready position.

The attacker begins by striking the partner's men (top of head) with the shinai, locking up, pushing, and then proceeds to make alternating cuts to the sides of the men; left, right, etc., four forward, five back, with the partner blocking. It ends with a left strike to the men. The four forward and five back is repeated. After the second back and forth, they resume distane and ready position. The partners then resume position, issoko-itto-no-maai and repeat the attacker delivers another strike to the men and passes. Each strike must be accompanied by a loud shout of 'Men!', or in a Korean school, 'Muhri!'

The adaptation for taekwondo (no name).

Begin at a distance where one can deliver a kick to the other if they take a step forward.

The attacker delivers an axe kick to the head (strainght up, straight down to the center), then locks up with partner.
Deliver a two punches to the torso, partner moves back one step.
Then four roundhouse kicks to the head going forward, alternating from left to right, the partner blocking with outside blocks, alternating right, left, then five to the head going back, again alternating.
The back and forth is done twice, ending with the partners resuming a distance where one can strike the other if one step is taken, deliver an axe kick to the head, and then pass.

It is a good footwork exercise, developes speed at alternating kicks, and of course, developes speedy high kicks. For the partner, it develops strong blocks.

Keep in mind that in kendo, the kirikaeshi is performed with correct technique, and so it should be in my adaptation. That means proper hip twist and striking with the instep, not the side of the foot. The idea is to use 100% correct technique and footwork and as you become more proficient in the exercise, you can do so faster.

The kirikaeshi is generally done with bogu (hogu), but it can be performed without it, the partner blocking the first and last shomen with the shinai. Likewise, in the taekwondo adaptation, the first and last axe kick would be blocked.

This is not an exercise that I have tried out on my students as of yet (that happens this Saturday, hehe), but both my son and I practice it outside of class. Being of equal height, it is equally beneficial for both of us regarding developing high kicks.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry about the drift.

JKS9199 brings up a good point about sparring. Before you start the match already have in your mind what you are going to open with. This lets you set the tone for the match. This will help you gain control of the center of the ring.

Example:
1. Lead switch
2. L Jab
3. R Cross followed by L ridgehand
4. Double Kick (L front snap followed by L Round)

That is one of my favorite openers. It does these things:
1. Immediately switches leads.
2. Is predominantly Left-handed even though I am a Right-handed person.
3. Throws 5 strikes immediately.
If only you could score with hand techniques beside straight punches to the torso in the WTF!

Daniel

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a drill we're using with our sparring team to work on angular footwork and throwing combinations with follow through (following the kick in rather than kciking then moving straight back).

We use the variosu kick shuields, blockers, hand targets to create an obstacle course in the dojang. we set up "boxes" in variosu configurations that force people moving through to move in an agnular fashion. It snakes aropund the gym and in three or four places we put a wavemaster or heavy bag.

We start the kids moving along with 2 feet in each box. (they have to put both feet in each box..step-step...) when they get to a kicking target they have to throw a designated combination. Typically this is a cut kick (front leg side kick) followed into a jam (Briefly) then a sidestp roundhouse kick in passing. This can be subsituted with a double roundhouse (mid/high). Sometimes we'll also add in places where they have to jmp an obstacle or where they have to sprint, or do pushups or whatever.

The team loves this workout and it really helps develop quick feet.

It's a versatile drill.

Peace,
Erik

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
As an aside, are you being paired up in matches with opponents much more experienced than you? I'd look for more equal matches for the purpose of learning, especially as a beginner. I hope your instructor is overseeing you well and not just throwing you out there to sink or swim with the sharks. yes it is possible to learn that way, but very slow and frustrating for most. I'd talk to the instructor about it. If you can afford even a few private lessons, that would be an excellent idea.

Eh, I'm a 3rd geup [YES 3RD GEUP AND MY SPARRING IS STILL #@%@%$#] and usually get paired up against a 1st Poom/Dan[no other heavyweights in class.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lol note it's WTF-style sparring for me.

If only you could score with hand techniques beside straight punches to the torso in the WTF!

What scores in WTF as far as punches? Can you punch to the head/chest?

Even if the punches can't score, can you use them as a distraction to get your opponent to react and move their hands?

I ask because I truly don't know.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What scores in WTF as far as punches? Can you punch to the head/chest?

Even if the punches can't score, can you use them as a distraction to get your opponent to react and move their hands?

I ask because I truly don't know.
Straight punches to the torso are the only legal offensive hand techniques and while they can score, they seldom do. Punching is almost a waste of time.

I've heard conflicting things regarding backfists; I've heard that it is a legal technique, but that it doesn't count, and I've heard that it does, but straight punches I know for fact.

Kicks score and head kicks score more (used to be two points, but I think that its three now).

So far as I know faking punches to the head isn't expressly illegal, but if it looks like a failed attempt at an actual punch, you'll probably get a warning. A skilled WTF competitor will manage distance in such a way that faking punches is a waste of time anyway.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punches will score if it stops the movement of your opponet, so if you send a shocking blow to them it will score.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Eh, I'm a 3rd geup [YES 3RD GEUP AND MY SPARRING IS STILL #@%@%$#] and usually get paired up against a 1st Poom/Dan[no other heavyweights in class.

I had that when I could spar too, even when I was a white belt. There was nobody at my weight class (200 Lbs) so I had to spar teenage black belts. They found it very useful as they didn't get to spar against a tank very often. I found it fun because they were not scared to attack me. Overall it actually worked out quite well for both of us.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Punches will score if it stops the movement of your opponet, so if you send a shocking blow to them it will score.
By the rules, yes. Last tournament I was in, I landed over twenty five punches that not only stopped my opponent's movement, but visibly moved him the other direction. He landed at least fifteen that stopped my movement and at least five that moved me the other way. In addition to a lot of kicks from both of us, the final score was six to four, my favor. I've heard stories from others that the judges simply don't score punches at all, regardless.

Daniel

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
By the rules, yes. Last tournament I was in, I landed over twenty five punches that not only stopped my opponent's movement, but visibly moved him the other direction. He landed at least fifteen that stopped my movement and at least five that moved me the other way. In addition to a lot of kicks from both of us, the final score was six to four, my favor. I've heard stories from others that the judges simply don't score punches at all, regardless.

Daniel

Same here. I've been in WTF competitions where I've punched (with force!) and none of them have been scored/counted. The majority of judges seem to 'ignore' what's happening with the hands and just count scoring leg techniques.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same here. I've been in WTF competitions where I've punched (with force!) and none of them have been scored/counted. The majority of judges seem to 'ignore' what's happening with the hands and just count scoring leg techniques.
Lets also not forget that leg techs are limited to kicks. Knees are not allowed either. I'm not sure if leg parries and leg blocks are.

Daniel

Latest Discussions