Sparring help please

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where does the red stripe fit in in ITF?

A lot of people are afraid of contact, especially when they've been hurt before. The only advice I can offer is to build up slowly, maybe start with 1-step sparring and gradually build up to free sparring.

I don't have experience in hard contact sparring, though an (un)lucky shot can send you to the mat at any time (Witnessed that at a rank testing, one girl moved into a hook shot of some sort, went down like a sack of potatoes...had a concussion, too. Her partner was one of the more controlled guys in the school and an absolute doll, so not somebody out pommeling girls)
I tend to get mad when hit in the head. But as I said, never got pommeled.

I'd take it back to basic:
One steps, three steps (In gear, make it as close to sparring as you can)
work yourself up to sparring drills, like a set sequence of attacks met with set blocks, all controlled, sped up as confidence grows. Then move on to counter drills.
Then light contact drills.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have experience in hard contact sparring, though an (un)lucky shot can send you to the mat at any time (Witnessed that at a rank testing, one girl moved into a hook shot of some sort, went down like a sack of potatoes...had a concussion, too. Her partner was one of the more controlled guys in the school and an absolute doll, so not somebody out pommeling girls)
I tend to get mad when hit in the head. But as I said, never got pommeled.

I'd take it back to basic:
One steps, three steps (In gear, make it as close to sparring as you can)
work yourself up to sparring drills, like a set sequence of attacks met with set blocks, all controlled, sped up as confidence grows. Then move on to counter drills.
Then light contact drills.

WTF spars full contact so I've had my bell rung more than a few times. I have never been knocked out, but I figure once I get my teaching and coaching certifications out of the way and start competing again it'll only be a matter of time.

That's essentially my lesson plan tomorrow night, btw, and I think I'm gonna have my students spar tomorrow night. We have these two brothers who are dynamite on the Judo mat when they fight, and I haven't matched them up yet. Going to have to fix that! :D

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last monday night my instructor was using me to help demo some kicking drills to the class. I got lazy for a split second and he kicked me hard in the face (accidentally). I had a black eye for a week. He reckons it was 20 years since that last happened in a class. I guess it doesnt just happen sparring:)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last monday night my instructor was using me to help demo some kicking drills to the class. I got lazy for a split second and he kicked me hard in the face (accidentally). I had a black eye for a week. He reckons it was 20 years since that last happened in a class. I guess it doesnt just happen sparring:)

lol, not a black eye, but we had some casualties doing one steps...gotta pay attention...jus because you are not supposed t get tagged doesn't mean you are safe.

(oh and I forgot to add: lots of yelling...you can do kihaps during sparring, if you can do it without spitting your mouth piece out ;))

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol, not a black eye, but we had some casualties doing one steps...gotta pay attention...jus because you are not supposed t get tagged doesn't mean you are safe.

(oh and I forgot to add: lots of yelling...you can do kihaps during sparring, if you can do it without spitting your mouth piece out ;))
It made me realise just how quick 7th dans are. It was literally about half the time it takes to blink for his back leg to smash me in the face. It also gives me a new perspective on when people say "head kicks wont work on the street". The guy is 52 years old, he wasnt warmed up, he was kicking while talking to the class, he currently has a leg injury and yet with very little effort at all he left me with a black eye. It was a timely reminder not to lose concentration, even for a second.

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
I know a black belt who quit TKD all together after the first time he got knocked out so congrats for going back despite your fear! :)

I believe in that horse saying mentioned above whole heartedly (I used to do a lot of show jumping and every time i got thrown I'd be determined to get back on immediately and make the horse jump higher than before, even when injured!).. And I believe that same saying can easily be applied to TKD, you just need to find the determination in you and belief that you are capable of doing better than when you were injured. Use that as your motivation to improve and when you notice an improvement in your capability your fear should hopefully leave you. :) Goodluck.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Ji Do Kwan we had medio combate (half sparring) where we spar ligthly not full contact, contact was allowed but controled maybe you can do the same thing for a while and then progresively augment the contact ratio till achieve full contact again, and please be wise buy the helmet with the acrilic face mask believe me it's gona help.

I was hurted many times, a well k.o., broken theet,broken nose,etc,etc, and belive the worst thing to me it's not the blow itself but the pride identation of been caught with a solid kick and go down to the floor.

Manny

Latest Discussions