Sparring and My Difficulty Against Kicks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I noted that midway through the Bruce vid, her was Sparing g and just moving backwards to avoid kickS, no blockss, so if it's good enough for him
Not sure what your point is. Bruce lee used both blocking and evasive techniques. There is actually video of him sparring and getting kicked by his opponent.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other hand, I never saw Bill Wallace (one of the best kickers ever. Full stop.) use a jumping kick either,
I've used a jumping kick before in a real fight. I will never do it again unless I can catch them off guard when they aren't looking. In short a "sucker kick." That kick only works when the person doesn't have a chance to give with the kick, which is what naturally happens when we see something comes towards us.

My thoughts on this type of kick is. To only use it when you can kick someone similar to this.

"Flying kicks" just aren't for me. If anyone else has proof of one working when the opponent is facing the kicker, then I would like to see it. I would be interested how it was successful.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How I prefer to defend kicks:

Low round kick: Check with shin
Medium round kick: side step away from kick and catch it against my side or front kick to chest
High round kick: duck under it or cover head and step in or front kick to chest

Low front kick: lead leg bong gerk
Medium front kick: pivot change stance backwards and catch kick or tan gerk
High front kick: slip outside and catch over my shoulder (very risky)

Low side kick: lead leg bong gerk
Medium side kick: shuffle back and catch kick
High side kick: side step

Spinning back kick: rush in, but beware a spinning back fist or elbow strike, tighten your abs because you will still get clipped, but now you have their back

Those are the main ones anyways.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a jumping kick before in a real fight. I will never do it again unless I can catch them off guard when they aren't looking. In short a "sucker kick." That kick only works when the person doesn't have a chance to give with the kick, which is what naturally happens when we see something comes towards us.

My thoughts on this type of kick is. To only use it when you can kick someone similar to this.

"Flying kicks" just aren't for me. If anyone else has proof of one working when the opponent is facing the kicker, then I would like to see it. I would be interested how it was successful.
I recall seeing a video of an altercation between two guys. One grabs a bat (I think) and comes after the other one. The target does some type of jump/turn kick and snaps the bat off above the guy's hand. He changes his mind. I'll try to find it this weekend.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Bruce lee used both blocking and evasive techniques. There is actually video of him sparring and getting kicked by his opponent.
My point is you posted a vid to show how ineffective moving out of range of a kick is, and the same video Shows Bruce avoiding kicks Only by moving out of range, no blocking at all

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point is you posted a vid to show how ineffective moving out of range of a kick is, and the same video Shows Bruce avoiding kicks Only by moving out of range, no blocking at all

There was blocking and redirection as well as evasion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My point is you posted a vid to show how ineffective moving out of range of a kick is,
You are a pain sometimes. I posted a video showing how some kicks are designed to cover distance and chase an opponent who is moving backwards in an effort to stay out of the way.

I have never said that moving backwards is ineffective. My point in showing the video is to highlight that evading a kick may not always be an option. As you could see in that same bruce lee video, his training partner evaded the first side kick but would have easy been caught by the second side kick. There are a lot of Martial Arts kicks that are made to be deceptive and people who know how to use them, use them well. People who don't know how to kick are less likely to do a side kick in a street fight.

If someone kicks you in a street fight, then most likely they know how to kick. People who don't know how to kick usually won't kick in a street fight. So the chances that you'll come across a kicker who doesn't know how to land a kick on his opponent is slim.

For example, in the video below. Only one person is kicking. He kicks multiple times. The reason he is kicking because he knows how to kick. When a person doesn't know how to kick, it is awkward and useless in a fight, and doing so will get that person in trouble. when a person knows how to kick then they will without hesitation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How I prefer to defend kicks:

Low round kick: Move back, forward or into the kick.
Medium round kick: whatever comes from my brain. In the past it has been the following. Take the kick, move into the kick, move forward, block, grab.
High round kick: Get kicked, block, I would probably duck too but only by instinct. I usually try to maintain a height where all of my opponent's round house will bee at the medium level.
Low front kick: lead leg bong gerk
Medium front kick: Move, catch, walk into, strike, block, evade, move forward into the kick and allow the kick to land (my favorite, but takes a strong stomach muscles, timing, and the ability to sent energy (not chi but movement) through the abdomen. Get any of that wrong and you end up with a hurt belly, redirect
High front kick: slip outside and catch over my shoulder (very risky)
Low side kick: probably move. I don't get much of these to practice against.
Medium side kick: catch, evade, strike and punish, redirect. grab., block,
High side kick: Don't know.
Spinning back kick: move in and take the standing leg if they are still using it. Move back and at angle if I'm too far to advance. This is one of the few kicks I don't try to block because I never know what's coming out of the spin.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never said that moving backwards is ineffective.

I would. At least in the sense that it's a dangerous thing to do. Once you are on your heels if the other guy decides to press you could be in real trouble. Not just from kicks, either, you are also more vulnerable to takedowns and punches, and in no position to threaten with anything.

I personally love it when a sparring partner goes straight back instead of angling out, free shots!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would. At least in the sense that it's a dangerous thing to do. Once you are on your heels if the other guy decides to press you could be in real trouble. Not just from kicks, either, you are also more vulnerable to takedowns and punches, and in no position to threaten with anything.

I personally love it when a sparring partner goes straight back instead of angling out, free shots!
Why would you be on your heels? You can go backwards on your toes,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would. At least in the sense that it's a dangerous thing to do. Once you are on your heels if the other guy decides to press you could be in real trouble.
This would be what i called back pedaling. This type of backward movement is always dangerous.regardless of that person's skill level. Textbook example of the risk.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would you be on your heels? You can go backwards on your toes,
"On your heels" is an expression, because the footwork looks like someone who is moving on their heels.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"On your heels" is an expression, because the footwork looks like someone who is moving on their heels.
It only looks like they are on their heel IF they are on their heels, Otherwise it looks like they are on their toes, because they ARE on their toes

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am so bad at visualizing the defenses in my head that I had to write everything out on index cards. LOL This was complete with little stick figures showing my opponent and I in one stance or another.

Reactions: pdg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It only looks like they are on their heel IF they are on their heels, Otherwise it looks like they are on their toes, because they ARE on their toes
That's why it's an expression, because the MOVEMENT looks like someone MOVING back on their heels.

That's why the expression isn't "Once you get them back on their toes."

Jobo where are you from and what is your native language?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why it's an expression, because the MOVEMENT looks like someone MOVING back on their heels.

That's why the expression isn't "Once you get them back on their toes."

Jobo where are you from and what is your native language?
But it doesnt, it looks like someone moving back on their toes,
Going back flat footed, would be rightLy called on your heels, but that not what I'm suggesting, Because you heels do not touch the ground,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But it doesnt, it looks like someone moving back on their toes,
Going back flat footed, would be rightLy called on your heels, but that not what I'm suggesting, Because you heels do not touch the ground,
Do you know what an expression is? or figure of speech?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions