Southpaw? - How to be as effective/annoying as possible when you are a southpaw?

Towel Snapper

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find there are certain advantages to being a southpaw (right handed southpaw in my case) that orthodox fighters have extreme trouble with. It would be good to know as many of these advantages as possible so we can exacerbate them and make life hell for our competitors. Any tips with this in mind would be appreciated!

Ill start us off.

The experience advantage is a great cheating advantage imo, all the time they face other orthodox fighters all the time you face orthodox fighters when they have to face a southpaw you have all the experience of fighting orthodox fighters they have none of the experience of fighting southpaws, you usually win. I like to make this worse by adopting an unorthodox southpaw strategy, so they may have a rudimentary idea on how to beat a southpaw by circling to their left to set up their straight right, this is the most common way taught to orthodox fighters to deal with southpaws, but I make it even worse for them by circling to my left, (so now they have even less experience because theve probably never faced a left(my) circling south paw) and walking them into my rear leg round kicks ala cro cop, and changing the punching dynamic ala pacman. This will confuse the crap out of most guys and have them following you around like a zombie unwittingly setting themselves up for decapitation.

I also find constantly sweeping them with my right leg to their left leg, and generally out kicking them form very long range with my more co-ordinated upfront right leg vs their up front unco-ordinated left leg, to be something that no one has ever countered me on. I mean its so much easier to learn a multitude of kicks from the front leg if its your right leg so they get completely out gunned and have to close the distance or get beat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most fighters I know can switch stances easily enough, boxers tend not to so much. So the best tip is.... learn to switch stances and fight southpaw as well orthodox.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i fight both ways :)
i'm an orthodox fighter naturally but learnt to fight from a southpaw standpoint cos it gives me greater versatility if for example i end up with my right leg forward after a kick then i can lead with a right hand and vice versa :)

i find that by being able to fight off both sides makes me more difficult as an opponent :) try it when you're sparring and you'll have people confused :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming from a karate background originally I was taught to be able to both stances and to use all techniques with either arm and either leg. We would mostly all fight in the way described by Donna, and yes it was full contact, KOs and all, before anyone asks.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what makes you think that orthodox fighters don't change up their tactics vs a southpaw. Only low level trained fighters maintain only one way. We train vs a multitude of fight styles and tactics. It is good that you are thinking in the manner you do but do not assume others are not as well.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
me fighting both ways happened by accident cos i landed with my right foot forward and then just threw a jab and then did a switch right kick which put me back in my "normal" position again :)

i just got that used to be able to punch and kick off both sides that i thinks that it's normal and that everyone should be able to do it --- in self defence there are no sides go off so it helps with that too :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what makes you think that orthodox fighters don't change up their tactics vs a southpaw. Only low level trained fighters maintain only one way. We train vs a multitude of fight styles and tactics. It is good that you are thinking in the manner you do but do not assume others are not as well.

Well said, often I've found beginners when they learn something think that others don't know it. Not just in martial arts I'll add, in case anyone thinks I'm getting at martial artists!

Latest Discussions