Somewhere in Columbia the Rebels Are Feeling Pretty Stupid

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brilliant rescue attempt is successful. What could've ended disastrously if any of the police/rescue team didn't play their role correctly ended up just marvelously.
Rescue video shows duped rebels, elated hostages
(full story here) http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080705/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/colombia_hostages
By IAN JAMES, Associated Press Writer Sat Jul 5, 6:04 AM ET
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombian military intelligence agents posing as aid workers and a media crew flew to the jungle aboard a white helicopter, staging a mock humanitarian mission that rebels were told would ferry their hostages to another camp for talks on a prisoner swap.
The would-be envoys had honed their accents in acting lessons: Italian, Arab, Caribbean Spanish, and Australian English — "identical to Crocodile Dundee," Colombian Defense Minister Juan Manuel Santos said Friday as he explained how the military duped the rebels into turning over 15 hostages.
Santos said military intelligence agents had infiltrated the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, so that guerrillas believed the hostages were being moved on the orders of top rebel leader Alfonso Cano for negotiations on a prisoner exchange. To play their roles, some soldiers wore Che Guevara T-shirts.
Video filmed during the rescue shows the hostages filing grim-faced toward the helicopter in a grassy clearing fringed with a coca field, then embracing and weeping with joy after they are aloft and realize they are free.
Without a shot fired or even that dramatic hollywoodized tense moment this video shows that even real life is a lot better.
A great job of infiltration and subterfuge on law enforcement resulted in rescuing people who have been hostages for YEARS and making dangerous rebels (who are funded by drug money) look pretty stupid. Maybe aren't stupid but they were hoodwinked this time.

My thoughts are bit torn between shouting Hurrah! for the success of this mission and concern for future hostages and any attempted rescues. Done once I highly doubt that they'll be able to do this again. It could make future negotiations and rescue attempts very difficult. Real life news crews could be in danger of suspicion and so on. This is not to lay blame or critiquing the methods of the LEA's in Columbia just that it gives thought to hundreds of other kidnapped victims throughout that country and future hostages. The war there isn't over and it is a war zone just done quietly enough that the rest of the world declined to take critical note.

Still a great effort and I bow to them all.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A beautifully executed rescue. I could have ended in disaster for the rescuers and the hostages but luckily it did not. I commend those that pulled it off and am happy the hostages are free.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a Mom I look at the pictures of Ingrid Betancourt and it brings a tear to my eye. I can only imagine the joy she must feel being able to embrace her children once again. My thoughts wonder to how she must have felt missing a good portion of their childhood not being able to hold them, comfort them and laugh with them. How her children must have felt during those six long years not knowing the fate of their mother, not having her to turn to when lifes lessons brought them down, not having her to hug and say I love you.

I send my thanks to those brave people who put their lives on the line to rescue all of the hostages. Many families are once again united.

:asian: