Sometimes Your Home Country Doesn't Seem So Bad

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NK is a mess. I've read where Kim drinks expensive champagne like it was soda pop, while his people are lucky to have water. Just pathetic.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The article is pretty accurate, although it still doesn't show the full picture of what goes on over in that hell hole.

The North Koreans are on subsistence diets, meaning that they get barely enough calories to stay alive. Famine and malnutrition are common, and the quality of life is poor.

The only ones who get a decent standard of living, are those who are in the military.

The people there are brainwashed, as many of them were indoctrinated to worship their "great leader," Kim Il Sung, as a god. If anything, it was the elder Kim who put many policies in place prior to his death, to ensure that the miserable Communist method of governing would stay in place.

Anyone who speaks out against the Kim regime, or against the "godly" name of Kim Il Sung, essentially gets shuttled off to a modern day concentration camp, eventually to die there from neglect, abuse, starvation, or even execution.

In the end, Kim Jong Il, the current leader, ended up being nothing more than a foppish playboy, who spends most of his time drunk and high, enjoying various delicacies, while his people stave, and his trustees go around ruling the nation with an iron fist.

In my opinion, I really doubt that Kim Jong Il holds any of the real power, and that it's the Kim Il Sung-appointed trustees who wield the true power there. I suspect that after Kim Jon Il passes away (and that can't come soon enough), the 27 year old son who is expected to be the "figurehead" is going to be even more of a sock puppet for this board of trustees.

Unless the people revolt, and utterly tear down this Stalinistic regime, I highly doubt things are going to change.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a shame because those who wish to rise up and revolt are far outnumber by those sheep who don't seem to mind the suffering and death. I'm sure even locked in with no look at the outside world they must know there has to be a better way. Makes me wish I could sneak in a copy of the constitution.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a shame because those who wish to rise up and revolt are far outnumber by those sheep who don't seem to mind the suffering and death.

Do you think that even one of those people are particularly content with their lot? Or that any one of the starving masses would shed a tear if every member of the government met a gristly death?

Leading a successful revolt doesn't just happen. It requires widespread coordination and communication, effective leadership, supplies and weapons, and many other factors. All of these factors are inhibited by the actions of the police state. Any one person that decides to revolt must face the probability that they will be shipped off to the camps very quickly before they can accomplish much of anything. Even if they do manage to start a widespread revolt in a region, they must face the probability that without countrywide coordination, they will be quickly crushed by the military.

It just isn't as simple as pointing to the Koreans and saying they are content or sheep or are too cowardly to fight. Why do you think revolts against dictatorial governments are so rare? And even more rarely successful.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
The people there are brainwashed, as many of them were indoctrinated to worship their "great leader," Kim Il Sung, as a god. If anything, it was the elder Kim who put many policies in place prior to his death, to ensure that the miserable Communist method of governing would stay in place.

Anyone who speaks out against the Kim regime, or against the "godly" name of Kim Il Sung, essentially gets shuttled off to a modern day concentration camp, eventually to die there from neglect, abuse, starvation, or even execution.

I think that the second paragraph undercuts the first one here. It's hard to estimate the level of "brainwashing" that has occurred when the populace is scared of speaking freely. While the system remains intact, it's impossible to know who is a true believer and who is just trying not to get sent to the camps.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If there is to be a change there it will come from within the military, a coup or a civil war are both seriously possible. I'm sure that there are those in the military who resent power transfering to a third generation Kim, who has done nothing and proven no ability/skill to do anything.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
is still wondering why the u.s. hasn't just asassinated kim

It could have something to do with the fact that Kim Jong Il is famously paranoid and takes extreme security precautions, and is surrounded by massive security forces in the middle of the most isolated and locked down country on the planet.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
is still wondering why the u.s. hasn't just asassinated kim

All of the above, plus the fact that China and South Korea don't relish the idea of >20 million reeaaally hungry people showing up on their doorstep.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too make matters even more complicated, China has historically not wanted a government in North Korea that is interested in better relations with South Korea or eventual reunification unless it is under communist rule. They don't want a pro-west country on thier border. So they give North Korea just enough support to keep it from imploding, but not enough for it to become independant or successful. The west is okay with this, because a seriously unstable North Korea could result in Kim Jong Il acting out militarily. They also don't want North Korea strong for obvious reasons. Its walking a razor's edge, but both China and the west has been doing it for over half a century. So far the biggest losers are North Korea's population.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is to be a change there it will come from within the military, a coup or a civil war are both seriously possible. I'm sure that there are those in the military who resent power transfering to a third generation Kim, who has done nothing and proven no ability/skill to do anything.

Ken, I think this is the Best bet for a change in Leadership in NK. I don't know it will do the population much good but perhaps it will. The Army after all is made up of the people. Perhaps, with the dictator for life gone a certain amount the resouces that were used to maintian his families' life style will trickle down to the populace. I would hope the new regime has a veiw of a stronger nation, which would include a healthier and happier population. Too optimistic? What can I say, I still vote NDP. :angel:

Lori

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Too optimistic? What can I say, I still vote NDP. :angel:
Lori

Gimme six months in Winterpeg, and you'd be voting CPC my dear...:) I'm still very shocked you didn't do the 25 hour drive to our BBQ!!! Shocked I tell you!!!

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gimme six months in Winterpeg, and you'd be voting CPC my dear...:) I'm still very shocked you didn't do the 25 hour drive to our BBQ!!! Shocked I tell you!!!

Bleh if she knew a lot of what stephen harper does she wouldnt wanna vote for him either. :)

In fact probably does. Thats why she votes ndp =]

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ken, now what did you do that was soooo bad that your Party would ship you off to Winterpeg??? Even murder, as long as it's an opposing party member, will just get you smited by some crazy CBC person dressed up as a Zena, Warrior Princess. You'd have to have some sort of financial doings with the Satan himself, Brian Mulrooney, to get exhiled to the great waste land that is Winterpeg ( or anywhere in Alberta)

I found out about the BBQ too late to make the drive. I am just sick that I missed it. Just sad beyond words. :waah:

Lori