some questions, please help

Nosce te ipsum

White Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone, im new in this forum so this is my first post.
ive been always very interested in martial arts, though ive never studied one for more than 6 months in a row for checking which fits the most to me etc. and now im very interested in ninjutsu, a lot, the problem is that i havent found a good place to study it, i live in México city now but i dont plan to stay to live here, and furthermore i plan to take a sabatic year to dedicate it only to martial arts, so could you guys help me telling the location of a good ninjutsu dojo? it doesnt have to be in México of course, but maybe U.S.A, Canada or something close.

other thing would be if someone could tell me the differences between the nine ryu or schools, because i dont have a clue and i think its a must since i like the topic and it could help me decide which to study.

also, where is Masaaki Hatsumi´s dojo? and how important are in ninjutsu all the rolling, climbing and jumping techniques? does teachers emphasize them a lot in their trainings?

thanks a lot in advance

kindly David

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe there are a listing of Bujinkan dojos on www.winjutsu.com.

I do not know how many, or if any teach "Ninjutsu" but they do call what they teach Budo Taijutsu.

Maybe someone who trains in a Bujinkan school can elaborate more for you on what Ninjutsu training consists of, and where you can find it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
other thing would be if someone could tell me the differences between the nine ryu or schools, because i dont have a clue and i think its a must since i like the topic and it could help me decide which to study.
Take some time looking in the ninjutsu forum here. You will find a wealth of information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan is a great place to start too. Near the bottom are links to the nine seperate schools and right below that are some great general bujinkan links.

also, where is Masaaki Hatsumi´s dojo? and how important are in ninjutsu all the rolling, climbing and jumping techniques? does teachers emphasize them a lot in their trainings?
I've not done a ton of climbing, and just a bit of jumping stuff. However, rolling and break-falling is fairly important from what I've seen. Prevents you from being hurt when practicing and can also provide some nifty evasions :)

on the the location of a school, there are alot of great schools out there. Could you narrow the locations down a bit? Ideally, you could go spend a year in Japan, but that might not be possible for you :) There are a handful of shinan (10+dan) in the US, and almost any one of them would make a great teacher :)

OP
N

Nosce te ipsum

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks a lot for the link of wikipedia, its been very helpful. Regarding the Japan topic, I think that the cultural change would be more difficult, i guess it more expensive to live there and i would have to learn Japanese so yes its not much a possibility but definitely its the best option, although what kind of students does Masaaki Hatsumi accepts? cause that may change things a little bit, i also know that the best places to learn kenjutsu are there, and i want to learn kenjutsu as much as ninjutsu.
and well the definition of the place where i would go its not that important because i would adapt to the place where the good schools are.

again thanks a lot

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
although what kind of students does Masaaki Hatsumi accepts? cause that may change things a little bit,

If you can stand upright and were born with a pair of opposing thumbs, you're pretty much set.

i also know that the best places to learn kenjutsu are there, and i want to learn kenjutsu as much as ninjutsu.

If anything I think you should concentrate on taijutsu at first.

OP
N

Nosce te ipsum

White Belt
Reaction score
If anything I think you should concentrate on taijutsu at first.

considering that i would live there would there no be enough time to take both? or why do you think that it would be better one at the time? because i dont think that you train all day long with Masaaki Hatsumi, although that would be very cool. anyway could you explain your previous statement please?
thx in advance

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering that i would live there would there no be enough time to take both? or why do you think that it would be better one at the time? because i dont think that you train all day long with Masaaki Hatsumi, although that would be very cool. anyway could you explain your previous statement please?
thx in advance
Because, within the systems taught by Hatsumi, the weapons and the empty hand are very, very integrated, and they flow one from the other and back again.

Learn his taijutsu and you'll learn the sword... Try to learn the sword without the taijutsu, and you'll be spinning your wheels.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
considering that i would live there would there no be enough time to take both?

Nobody is going to be teaching you any ninjutsu for quite a while. Besides, ninjutsu as such is nothing that can be physically practiced, it's more of a science concerning the gathering and usage of information.

If you want to study kenjutsu first and foremost, the Bujinkan is not the best option. What Hatsumi teaches is taijutsu with weapons.

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rolling is very important in bujinkan training. Should be one of the first things you learn and extremely fundamental. Climbing and jumping not so much. Those are skills you can choose to work on or not.

As far as learning ninjutsu, that all depends on how you define it. It doesn't take long in the forums to see that many people define it differently. If you define it by taijutsu, the bujinkan is right on the money. If you define it by espionage and information gathering, again not so much in the bujinkan. If you define it by stealth walking, wall-running, escape and evasion, then it will be a while before you learn it in the bujinkan depending on the instructor. I could go on and on since ninjutsu means something a little different to everyone.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
"It is the art of withstanding and enduring. Its purpose is to endure until a goal is achieved." - Manaka Unsui

Latest Discussions