Questions and more questions

rjhb

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there.
I begun training on bujinkan about a year ago. Unfortunitely I cant go more than 2 x a month to dojo, so even if Im reading books about the art (and Im reading a lot), some questions come to mind and I dont have the oportunity to ask them all at dojo without being a pain in the neck...

- Which of the nine schools have sword techniques?
- is it real that some of the nine schools are taught only after the shodan?

Also, I could say im somehow confused about the curriculum (maybe beacause Im used to other styles with very strict forms/kata/curriculum) but for that I´ll use the search function...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I begun training on bujinkan about a year ago. Unfortunitely I cant go more than 2 x a month to dojo, so even if Im reading books about the art (and Im reading a lot), some questions come to mind and I dont have the oportunity to ask them all at dojo without being a pain in the neck...

- is it real that some of the nine schools are taught only after the shodan?

Also, I could say im somehow confused about the curriculum (maybe beacause Im used to other styles with very strict forms/kata/curriculum) but for that I´ll use the search function...
The way I understand it (and, please, any Bujinkan folk feel free to correct me!), the various arts contained within the 9 traditions aren't being taught particularly separately. Instead, they're all contained in the modern teaching of Budu Taijutsu at the Bujinkan. At different times, there may be more emphasis on some of them (for example, this year the theme is Togakure Ryu) -- but all are contained in the current teaching approach.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of them.

Not according to any rule, depends on whom you're training with.

Much agreed on both points. :)

The way I understand it (and, please, any Bujinkan folk feel free to correct me!), the various arts contained within the 9 traditions aren't being taught particularly separately. Instead, they're all contained in the modern teaching of Budu Taijutsu at the Bujinkan. At different times, there may be more emphasis on some of them (for example, this year the theme is Togakure Ryu) -- but all are contained in the current teaching approach.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That is my understanding as well.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think there are any schools being taught only after shodan. The Gyokushin and Kumogakure ryu's, at least from my knowledge and research (which is limited!) are not being taught much. I don't know who is actively being taught them at this point. Wiki says that some shihan have been taught some stuff, but wiki is not the end-all be-all :)

OP
R

rjhb

White Belt
Reaction score
hey... cant say how thankful i am!
That helped a lot

OP
R

rjhb

White Belt
Reaction score
I got so many nice answers here I cant help posting more questions...
Hope Im not being stuborn to you...

- Crosstraining while on Bujinkan: forbidden? I must have authorization first?
how about the "other" Kan´s: could i go to seminars and such?
How about TSD?..

While on other Martial Arts, if I just felt the need to be on another dojo, Id be there...
On Bujinkan some people say one can crosstrain, some say one should not and some even say one cannot... Any oficial statement?

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
On Bujinkan some people say one can crosstrain, some say one should not and some even say one cannot... Any oficial statement?

There is no "official Bujinkan" policy regarding cross-training in other martial arts, though it is entirely possible that a specific dojo might have its own policy promoting, discouraging, or prohibiting such training.

As for training in "other Kans" (and I'd consider TSD as being in that category), if you're in the Bujinkan it's a definite no-no.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree...but in my opinion there's a lifetime worth of training within the Bujinkan itself and I'm not sure if you were wanting to crosstrain in another Xkan or different martial art itself. But I know I keep more than busy just with the Bujinkan training and I couldn't possibly see myself trying to start in another martial art. But it has been done so I guess that would have to be personal preference as long as your instructor is aware and doesn't mind....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are reasons why some systems discourage exploring other sub-systems as it pertains to approach, philosophy and quality, especially in the earlier ranks. Confusion can ensue and it generally causes more problems than it solves or does more potential damage than possible good.

The best thing about viewing and exploring other systems is, of course, the opening of your eyes and the further, deeper understanding of what you do in your main style. You can gain a real appreciation for what works, what doesn't and why. But I personally feel that this has to be an individual thing. Some people will be able to have a detached discernment and can needle things out earlier than other people. Then again, there are some that just never get it.

I think it's really important - in the interests of personal growth, longevity and deeper understanding - to explore other arts, even if it means just by observation, when ready to do so. You'll have to work this out with your instructor. I can see where an instructor would be able to discern more of a student's progress than a student can, so ... you also really need to have a *good* teacher.

Good luck.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is no "official Bujinkan" policy regarding cross-training in other martial arts, though it is entirely possible that a specific dojo might have its own policy promoting, discouraging, or prohibiting such training.

As for training in "other Kans" (and I'd consider TSD as being in that category), if you're in the Bujinkan it's a definite no-no.

I was told by a Bujinkan 3rd dan instructor, and I quote, "no one who has trained with the Genbukan can train with the Bujinkan because there is bad blood between them."-end quote...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told by a Bujinkan 3rd dan instructor, and I quote, "no one who has trained with the Genbukan can train with the Bujinkan because there is bad blood between them."-end quote...

That's a bit of a shady area. I've only dealt with it from the standpoint of a Genbukan instructor who'd originally been in the Bujinkan who approached me last year wanting to know if he could rejoin the Bujinkan, and asking me to speak on his behalf. Hatsumi sensei's response was a flat and unequivocal "no".

For someone who had never been in the Bujinkan, had trained only briefly in the Genbukan, or who only reached a low level, the answer might be different -- I just don't know.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a bit of a shady area. I've only dealt with it from the standpoint of a Genbukan instructor who'd originally been in the Bujinkan who approached me last year wanting to know if he could rejoin the Bujinkan, and asking me to speak on his behalf. Hatsumi sensei's response was a flat and unequivocal "no".

For someone who had never been in the Bujinkan, had trained only briefly in the Genbukan, or who only reached a low level, the answer might be different -- I just don't know.

Hey Dale,

I think it is good information for you to have that out there so people can understand what their choices can do to them.
icon6.gif

We all make choices in life so make good ones.
icon14.gif

OP
R

rjhb

White Belt
Reaction score
Im glad my questions are serving others aswell.
Thanks, Dale and everybody who replied!

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjhb

All of them.

Doesn´t Manaka-San stated, in the e-budo forum, that Koto Ryu is only Taijutsu?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

As I understand it, the Koto Ryu Densho only contains the Koppojutsu techniques... however, that doesn't mean that that is all there is. According to some stories I have come across, the Koto Ryu has a particular, unique form of Kenjutsu. Some of it's aspects include the use of a particular kamae called Mangetsu no Kamae, which is essentially similar to Hoko no Kamae, holding the sword in one hand, and using the blade to reflect sunlight into the opponents eyes, or using the groove in the blade (if there is one) to collect rainwater, and flick it into the opponents eyes. It also uses the tactic of a left-handed grip (meaning your left hand is near the tsuba, not the kashira) in order to lead your opponent to believe that you are an amateur when it comes to swordsmanship. One last tactic I have heard of is the cutting of the achilles tendons, mainly said to have been used against soldiers attempting to climb ladders to get into a castle...

Other schools are associated with weapons not openly covered in the scrolls (bo in Gyokko, yari, naginata, ono, otsuchi etc in Shinden Fudo, no scroll techniques for kusari gama or kyoketsu shoge in any system...), but these weapons are all taught. If you truly understand a school, you should be able to apply it's principles to anything you pick up, or without anything at all. And sword was such a common weapon among the warrior class (particularly during times of relative peace), that for it to not be included is a little odd to me.

Latest Discussions