Help

rexthunder

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am new to this thing here so bear with me. I have been in the martial arts for about 4 years and I am looking for a change of pace. I have been interested in Ninjutsu since I was a lad and have decided to take this avenue in the M.A world. My question is this, after doing a great deal of research I have come across a lot of names, including Dr. Masaki Hatsumi, Robert Bussey, Rick Tew, Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, etc. Which, if any of these people are credible sources? I know that Dr. Hatsumi teaches Bujinkan and there is a dojo nearby, is Bujinkan a credible style, or is it just another cheap knockoff from the Ninjutsu craze?

Thanks for your help!
Jake

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Masaki Hatsumi, Robert Bussey, Rick Tew, Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, etc. Which, if any of these people are credible sources?

Jake, Call me crazy, you may genuinly be asking, but from that list, your question sounds an awful lot like the opening shot to try and start another flame war.

OP
R

rexthunder

White Belt
Reaction score
I assure you I am genuinly asking, since my post I have read some of the other threads in relation to Ashida Kim, Mr. Dux and Mr. Tew, so I apologize for that as I seem to have answered my own question in regards to these fellows, however I am still genuinly curious about the curriculum of the Bujinkan style. In my searches on this site and others I have yet to find any student testimonial which would help me to understand the style better. More specifically, does the style branch off of Ninjutsu/Ninpo and only teach a specific portion of the original style. For instance, the way that some of the more modern Japanese arts (Judo, Aikido) stemmed from JiuJutsu, correct me if I am wrong. So I guess what I am truly looking for is something that sticks as close as possible to the original style of Ninjutsu/Ninpo that is taught here in the States, as my living situation doesn't permit me to leave the country. Again, I apologize for my failure to read the threads from the past on the above mentioned gentlemen, but the remainder of my inquiry is still genuinely expressed.

Sorry about the confusion:confused:
Jake

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jake... Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu as taught by Masaaki Hatsumi. Masaaki Hatsumi is the authority on the subject. Seek out a good Bujinkan school.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
however I am still genuinly curious about the curriculum of the Bujinkan style.

You will be hard pressed to find an "official" curriculum. Look at what the nine traditions cover and then you will know what it all about.

In my searches on this site and others I have yet to find any student testimonial which would help me to understand the style better.

Jake, your best bet is to visit the local Bujinkan School and train a class or two. The art must be felt. When it is felt, then one gets a full understanding. Without it, the understanding just isn't there. Looks can be very deceiving.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is what I was going to say, but just couldn't put it into words. It is the "feel"." If you broke it down and just looked at the movements without knowing what is really happening, it would look really dorky. This isn't the art where you could go to a park and go through a few movements and have people stand by and think, "Oh look he's practicing a MA." The looks would be more like "What home did that one excape from?" You have to go to the closest Bujinkan school and TRY it. Never seen a curriculum really, but it covers, Strikes, kicks, ground work, grappeling, weapons, etc....

OP
R

rexthunder

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, I will call the dojo and make and appointment. I appreciate the response.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, I will call the dojo and make and appointment. I appreciate the response.

Jake, there may be more than one in your area. Check out the www.winjutsu.com site and look in the yellow pages for your state, assuming you are in the USA.

If there are more than one school, try them all. Even though there isn't a curriculum, you should get the same training (in principle, not necessarily in teaching style or topics covered that class) from one good school to another good school. The caveat is, the further from the source (Hatsumi in this case) the more potential there is for the training to go astray.

Good luck with your training!

Latest Discussions