Some Questionable Homework Questions

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks-230717586--abc-news.html

Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn't believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.
"It kind of blew me away," Braxton said. "Do you see what I see? Do you really see what I see? He's not answering this question."
The question read, "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Yeah, I couldn't believe what I was reading either.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Kinda hard math for grade threes.....
:)

Yeah, really bad taste, even if they were being taught about slavery in Social Studies, there are better math examples to use.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh my.

Though I have to admit, I am LOL.

Seriously, this is really dumb.

I doubt that a few math problems make a kid racist.
The parents could have taken the opportunity to educate their kids, instead if teaching them to not do the math problems, no matter how ridiculous the words expressing the problems are.

And the school, well, i would love to see the text books they are using. I can't imagine any in print with baloney like that in them.

Naturally there is no real context to any of this.

Latest Discussions