New to WC: Introduction & Questions

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello and nice to meet everyone,

Please forgive me if this is post isn't extremely organized because I am a bit nervous but also excited so I have a lot to say.

I have been reading these forums for at least a month now and I find really good information here. I was inspired to research Wing Chun because I saw the movie Ip Man. Through reading the posts on here, I found that it is a good art because the concepts are simple to pickup but hard to perfect - sounds like a good fit for me because I'd rather learn the basics and try to perfect them rather than learn 1,000 techniques for each specific situation.

A few years back i wanted to learn TKD because there was a dojo by my house but I researched it and realized it would be hard to apply with my body and it seems like it is more for show than for self defense. I don't think it is right to learn something just because it is close to my house either.

There are quite a few reason why I want to learn/practice Wing Chun. I am a lanky built person (5'10 155lbs) and although I'm in good cardiovascular shape, my strength is lacking. Wing Chun doesn't figure strength into the equation and I like that very much. If someone were to ever sneak up on me in a parking lot I would be at a big disadvantage because of how my body is built. I don't want to use Wing Chun to be aggressive but I would like to feel safe and more confident in a confrontation.

Right now, I spend most of time before/after work playing video games and doing that isn't going to help me better myself. It will be nice to have a skill that I could build and have real world applications with and also make some friends who share my passion. I really really (emphasis on really lol) have no self-confidence and I think learning Wing Chun would help me feel better about myself. I've read a lot of stories where Wing Chun has helped people overcome their problems (I am not expecting a magic wand but I know this will help a lot). My lack of confidence makes me worry a lot about defending myself but I don't want a gun or any weapons to protect me.

My friends pick me whenever I bring a girl around. They try to embarass me in front of her and when I try to make them leave me alone they just laugh. I don't want to beat them up but just make one of them realize that I'm not a target anymore and then they'll think twice about picking on me, even if they are only joking. They are really great friends though and the other point I wanted to make regarding friends is that when someone who is not a friend tries to have a confrontation with me, my friends always protect me then the person waits until my friends are not around to really make me feel bad (physically or emotionally) - I don't want to always have to rely on my friends to defend me!

When I was watching Ip Man and he was hitting the wooden dummy I thought that was the coolest thing ever. He wasn't trying to bust a sandbag open or break bricks like some martial arts tend to obsess over. It just seemed like he was in a zone making motions and almost being relaxed rather than angry with fists clenched and yelling during attacks. I'm not worried about the dummy though because I know that doesn't come until much later in training! The movie Ip Man led me to research videos on youtube of Ip Ching, which led me to Samuel Kwok, and then videos of the students in Kwok's school applying their knowledge to real world scenarios. I was suprised when I watched the videos of practical applications for Wing Chun and this girl, probably with a similar skinny build like me, was taking down an opponent much bigger/stronger and during one scenario she got him with really fast chain punches - it blew my mind! I thought those fast chain punches were something that could only be found in a movie and used for show, like when Donnie Yen played Ip Man.

Sorry making a long introduction maybe I should save my excitement for another time and get down to business. This is where I need advice of as many of the professionals on this board as possible. I found a Wing Chun dojo/school about 30 minutes away from my house. I am thinking about making a visit there on one of my days off work to hopefully observe a class. Before I call them and make an arrangement for a visit, I am curious about a few things:

---
Lineage of the Master: (http://www.wing-chun.nu/cwc_lineage.htm)
---
- I know who Yip Man is and I did some research on Leung Sheung. I am hoping someone has experience with a Master who trained under Leung Sheung -- specifically Kenneth Chung if possible -- to let me know if they are satisfied with that lineage or did you not like it and try a different lineage? I am not sure how well known is Kenneth Chung and I really couldn't find any information on Carl Dechlara.

- I may not understand lineage correctly so I'm hoping to be corrected if wrong, which I probably am, in the following assumption: Does being further down the lineage mean the person is less skilled with every step down? The reason I ask is as I got further down the chain, after Yip Man, doing research it seemed like less and less information was available about each person.

---
Cost of Wing Chun
---
- Is there a set price or suggested price for training classes? There is only one school in the area but I'd rather not train if it will be extremely expensive compared to the average school.

---
Warning Signs of Bad Master
---
- I do not mean to be disrespectful because if someone received permission from their Master to open a dojo (I think that is how it works) then they must be good. However, since I know nothing about Wing Chun cirriculum, I'm wondering if there is a correct sequence to learn the basics.

---
Manners during a visit
---
- I will be really excited to call and ask to come visit but I don't know if there are certain rules or etiquette that I should follow when making a visit. What would make you look favorably at a visitor of a dojo that you own, or train at?

Again, I am very sorry for the lengthy post and I am sure I left some things out but I feel like learning Wing Chun will give me more confidence in myself, which will make me feel more independent. I will go search the forums again making sure that these questions haven't been asked a million times but the reason I really wanted to make a post is to be very personal so maybe the responses could be different than normal advice, if there is a such thing, based on my situation.

Thanks very much and I look forward to continue to read all the information this community has to offer and try to keep my posts to a minimum! I haven't scheduled a visit yet but I figured I would try to get some of my fears out of the way before I make myself look like an idiot during a visit or phone conversation with the Master. I feel like I would be a very good student because, although I may not have a previous background or natural talent for martial arts, I really enjoy learning and researching knowing that I will better myself as a result.

Last edited:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Martial Talk. That was a very long intro wasnt it. Was very happy to read it though and I could tell how excited you were through your writing. Im very glad youre excited though and you have every right to be.

Wing Chun as well as any MA will give you confidence. I started after a relationship I was in ended and the confidence I gained was amazing. Your friends will probably ask you to show them stuff etc instead of pick on you and there is a mixed view on what people do in these situations. I myself happily show my friends but I didnt when I just started I waited about 9 months until I actually knew Wing Chun. Well a basic ammount lol.

Im 6foot and over about 16 stone so dont worry about size any one can do WC and there are advantages and disadvantages for everyone.

Lower down the lineage doesnt mean they are less skilled at all. They can be just as highly skilled or even higher skilled than there sifu depending on how well the person learns. Some people pick it up better than others. The lineage tree is just really there as a guide so you know who learnt from who and the similarities you and another school may have. In all honesty dont worry about it.

I have heard of Kenneth Chung. I cant vouch for him but I am sure there are people here who know more about him so will answer that for you.

Again with the cost dont worry about it. Go to class take a few lessons and then you ask yourself is it worth what youre paying.

For the manners just be polite. Its how people should act anyway so be yourself be a polite persona and seem interested which you can tell you really are.

I really urge you to go for it as you will defo enjoy it and the goals you have in place like confidence, making friends etc are very reachable and wont take long at all. Ive been doing it over a year now and I still love it and am still as excited as you are right now. I will warn you there will be patches when you may get a little bored or feel like youre not getting any where but work hard and you will get past these little low points and back on path. It happens when you learn anything really not just MA.

When is the first class you can go to and where is it?

Once youve been come back here and start a new thread telling us how you think it went and if you are going to stick to it. It may feel alien to you from the start but thats normal and everntually you will be chain punching at the same speed as donnie yen in Ip Man as it is possible and not just a movie effect.

Dean.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice first post, and nice response, I second what the fine gentleman before me stated. I shall reiterate and add some junk if I may.
My self confidence has definitely grown in the last 2 years since I started wing tzun. (how my lineage spells it) That wasn't my initial aim, just a by-product. I've always been a bit cocky, but now I'm a bit more relaxed and at peace. I'm a small fella myself, 5"11 and 155 pounds. Anyways, Kung fu is in MY BLOOD! I had to do it, my whole life I've felt drawn to it, and where I landed is just where I wanted to be. Initially figuring a lot of the basics out and what not is frustrating, I have natural ability physically, and so I thought I would jump in and be a master in a shorter amount of time than most. Afraid not! if you go back to when I started posting here, you can see.. I practiced HOURS daily to reach a level of competence with the basics. of course my lineages footwork is a bit more difficult, in my opinion, probably not the best thing eh? anyways, I shudder to think where I would be without my wing tzun practice. Follow your heart, and best of luck.

OP
N

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I think I might've scared people off with such a long post. I appreciate the feedback and your stories as well :). The dojo is in Canton, OH. I'm not sure when I will be able to attend a class or make a visit but I will give an update when the time comes. Thanks again for the responses!

OP
N

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean to bump this thread but I haven't figure out how to edit my posts yet. I wanted to let everyone know that I found some information about Carl Dechiara's background and also short videos of his teachings on youtube. From the looks of the way his different classes are dressed, it looks like I can wear comfortable clothes and not worry about dressing up too much for my initial visit.

I did some more research on Leung Sheung's style of Wing Chun and found it will be the best lineage for me because it is known as the form of WC that is softest and depends on strength the least.

I am even more excited about this teacher now more than ever. My only criticism is that, from the short videos student in classes took of training, the dojo (is that the right word?) looks kind of gloomy and I always pictured training places to be well lit and brighter like how health clubs are designed.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
- I know who Yip Man is and I did some research on Leung Sheung. I am hoping someone has experience with a Master who trained under Leung Sheung -- specifically Kenneth Chung if possible -- to let me know if they are satisfied with that lineage or did you not like it and try a different lineage? I am not sure how well known is Kenneth Chung and I really couldn't find any information on Carl Dechlara.

I read up on Kenneth Chung, it sounds like he is very reputable. I can't find any information about Carl Dechlara though.

The City of Cupertino, California, proclaimed August 23, 2003 to be Kenneth Chung Day in acknowledgement of Kenneth Chung's teachings and contributions in the Area. He now teaches Stanford University Wing Chun.

Is there a set price or suggested price for training classes? There is only one school in the area but I'd rather not train if it will be extremely expensive compared to the average school.

My friend takes Jeet Kune Do at 60 bucks so around 40-60 should be a good price.

- I do not mean to be disrespectful because if someone received permission from their Master to open a dojo (I think that is how it works) then they must be good. However, since I know nothing about Wing Chun cirriculum, I'm wondering if there is a correct sequence to learn the basics.

Don't worry about the sequence of the basics. A teacher will provide your foundation however, the important question is, how well is your teacher teaching? How well does he grasp the concepts? Does he go in depth when he is instructing you? I would recommend meeting with the teacher and checking things out. See if you can go for some trial classes and/or pay for individual classes for about a month.

I feel like learning Wing Chun will give me more confidence in myself, which will make me feel more independent.

This is very true. However many (including me) make the mistake of getting cocky after a certain level of training. It's not until you put it into practice, make lots of mistakes can you actually be cocky lol

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think quite a few people from different lineages will have deferring opinions about which form of WC/WT/VT requires the least amount of strength or is the softest. None the less, it's awesome your taking a keen interest in what you have available, and I'm sure it will suite you very well indeed.
Best of luck, keep us updated after you start attending classes!

OP
N

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My friend takes Jeet Kune Do at 60 bucks so around 40-60 should be a good price.

Is that per class/week/month? If you could clarify that would be great. Depending upon the timeframe that could get expensive. 60/mo. wouldn't be bad if that's the case though.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is that per class/week/month? If you could clarify that would be great. Depending upon the timeframe that could get expensive. 60/mo. wouldn't be bad if that's the case though.

It's monthly. 60 a week or even bi-weekly would be insane LOL
I did some more research on Leung Sheung's style of Wing Chun and found it will be the best lineage for me because it is known as the form of WC that is softest and depends on strength the least.
Other people might argue with me on this but Wing Chun is not just 'soft', it is both hard and soft. You apply both at certain times in need.

All good Wing Chun uses the body structure to deliver power. That's not to say that you don't need any strength training however. The body structure has muscles that support it, and training those will enhance your performance.

the dojo (is that the right word?)
Dojo is Japanese. The correct word is Kwoon.

edit: I saw some of his videos and it sounds like he is a pretty good teacher. He understood the concept of the circle with the Bong Sau which impressed me.

Last edited:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean to bump this thread but I haven't figure out how to edit my posts yet.

You can only edit the post for a short period of time when youve just created the post. Other wise you just have to reply to the thread.

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First... Welcome to the forum.

Hello and nice to meet everyone,

Please forgive me if this is post isn't extremely organized because I am a bit nervous but also excited so I have a lot to say.

thats fine. lol. Wing chun is a great art. It is very fulfilling especially when u study it in a nurturing environment.

Reading your post, i see and you say that you lack confidence. Studying wing chun and becoming good at it, through hard practice (just like my WC brethren have mentioned above) will make you become good. You will become good not because you are studying Wing Chun but because you have gained proficiency in something. So if you do decide to pick up wing chun, you must dedicate yourself and practice hard.

good luck man. If you have any questions, I'm certain everyone here will be happy to help you.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lack of self confidence in yourself is a upseting thing and one thing any MA well help you over came. Practice practice practice and it will just hit you one day that you kinda know what you are doing,you have many great people on this site to answer your questions so use them.

Latest Discussions