Some kung fu and karate do not do well fighting a boxer or skilled street fighter?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Early kickboxing.

Pretty self explanatory.

No further training was needed then

Karate guys held their owm against boxers MT, etc.

Even in MMA, karate guys have outstruck other styles, its fairly common.

Because its MMA they had learn more grappling, to stop grappling at least, but yeah.

The only time the "style v style" argument has merit Is grapplin v striking. But their 2 completely different methods, so thats apples to oranges...

When your talking the same methods, (striking v striking, grappling v grappling) its a wildcard.

Depends entirely on the people
I don't why that guy tried to fight but looking at video again he was not even trying to fight back.

I have seen street fights with no martial arts training fight better than this.The guy never hit back it like he froze up.

What type of karate is that? A karate style that is mostly 90% kicks.

|
DROSE427 & MOONHILL99, CAN YOU TAKE A LOOK @ THIS FOR ME....
LET'S GET THIS THREAD ROLLING....
|
|
One of the all time massive karate FAILS of all time..... Classic for the MT > Karate believers.....

EDIT: Can someone please post the gif version.... thx.

>> MoonHill's Quote was directed @ my post as Quoted Above. MMA pro's please chime in....

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's probably because those kung fu/karate people don't have much sparring experience and aren't used to fighting. Karate isn't short ranged is it? It has quite a few kicks.
Kung fu vs Boxing

I didn't know that boxers kicked... :rolleyes:

A bit more indicative of reality.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with karate blocks that I've seen is they can be slow and difficult to execute against a combination attack. They also seem like they'd be hard to pull off against an opponent that is in a tight range like a boxer that moves in tight and throws hooks. Of course kyukoshin seems to use a tight cover much like a boxers, so it's reasonable to assume other versions of karate have a similiar approach.

It isnt just kyukushin, thats how all styles block in free sparring

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
LET'S GET THIS THREAD ROLLING....
|
|
One of the all time massive karate FAILS of all time..... Classic for the MT > Karate believers.....

EDIT: Can someone please post the gif version.... thx.

ShotoNoob a better one would be.

All three did really badly with a ‪boxer.‬

‪boxing vs karate‬

‪Karate v Boxing‬

‪karate‬ vs skilled street fighter fighting

None of ‪Karate did good.Not sure what type of ‪Karate or style is that and if that was the reason they did so bad.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The OP's comment about fighting ranges is an interesting one and this certainly can apply to the style.

I think that is why some of karate or kung fu do not do well fighting a boxer, Muay Thai or skilled street fighter or in MMA. The fighting range is very different.

To do this you should work at transitioning to your most favourable range from a variety of positions and scenarios -

But can this work or would get hit before you got into your
favorable range because a boxer, Muay Thai or skilled street fighter will fight at other range you not use to or you have little to no training on that fighting range.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The OP's comment about fighting ranges is an interesting one and this certainly can apply to the style.

I think that is why some of karate or kung fu do not do well fighting a boxer, Muay Thai or skilled street fighter or in MMA. The fighting range is very different.

To do this you should work at transitioning to your most favourable range from a variety of positions and scenarios -

But can this work or would get hit before you got into your
favorable range because a boxer, Muay Thai or skilled street fighter will fight at other range you not use to or you have little to no training on that fighting range.

Well the second videi has nothing to do with karate...

But, again, in the purest form kickboxing shows quite the contrary.

Many,many,many, karate guys have taken on MT and Boxers successfully.

Andy Hug, Benny the Jet, Superfoots, etc.

Benny the Jet took on a couple Muay Thai guys. 2 notable matches, he lost one by decision after 9 rounds (i believe 9)and the other was declared no contest because after a point deduction on the thai fighter started a riot....

Even in UFC, the sqme affwct has happened. You posted a video of machidas karate not doing as well, but you can find 10 more of him outstriking many fighters with it.

Same with GSP.

Karate specifically fights close and far range striking. As does TSD and TKD.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Early kickboxing.

Pretty self explanatory.

No further training was needed then

Karate guys held their owm against boxers MT, etc.

Actually my understanding was that the 8 kick minimum per round rule was introduced in the PKA circuit because boxers nobody had ever heard about were showing up and winning tournaments.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually my understanding was that the 8 kick minimum per round rule was introduced in the PKA circuit because boxers nobody had ever heard about were showing up and winning tournaments.

Ive heard this once before but it was from a boxer

I know in some weightclasses it was the same guys winning events, superfoot for PKA, Joe Lewis had it for a long time, Benny the jet was undefeated for really long streaks (although i think he was later in ghe life of PKA) so while it could have happened in some weight classes, idk if it was commonly happening.

Regardless, we still see big karate guys knocking out boxers in MMA if they keep the match standing.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

‪boxing vs karate‬

‪Karate v Boxing‬

None of ‪Karate did good.Not sure what type of ‪Karate or style is that and if that was the reason they did so bad.
|
Yeah, I see what you mean.....

BTW: That wasn't my question....

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with karate blocks that I've seen is they can be slow and difficult to execute against a combination attack. They also seem like they'd be hard to pull off against an opponent that is in a tight range like a boxer that moves in tight and throws hooks.
|
What did you do to formulate this position? Sounds like run-of-mill MMA speak...
Of course kyukoshin seems to use a tight cover much like a boxers, so it's reasonable to assume other versions of karate have a similiar approach.
It isnt just kyukushin, thats how all styles block in free sparring
|
You mean how all SPORT karate styles TYPICALLY block in free sparring...

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
|
What did you do to formulate this position? Sounds like run-of-mill MMA speak...

|
You mean how all SPORT karate styles TYPICALLY block in free sparring...

No how traditional Styles block in free sparring too....... Both Japanese and Okinawan....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No how traditional Styles block in free sparring too....... Both Japanese and Okinawan....
|
Oh, I see where you are coming from. I'll have to find an example....
|
BTW: How about the vid I posted (2:20pm) & asked you about. No 1 liners Please....

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
|
Oh, I see where you are coming from. I'll have to find an example....
|
BTW: How about the vid I posted (2:20pm) & asked you about. No 1 liners Please....

I did respond....One video of Machida not making it work is irrelevant when he has 20 other fights where he does...

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the second videi has nothing to do with karate...

But, again, in the purest form kickboxing shows quite the contrary.

Many,many,many, karate guys have taken on MT and Boxers successfully.

Andy Hug, Benny the Jet, Superfoots, etc.

Benny the Jet took on a couple Muay Thai guys. 2 notable matches, he lost one by decision after 9 rounds (i believe 9)and the other was declared no contest because after a point deduction on the thai fighter started a riot....

Even in UFC, the sqme affwct has happened. You posted a video of machidas karate not doing as well, but you can find 10 more of him outstriking many fighters with it.

Same with GSP.

Karate specifically fights close and far range striking. As does TSD and TKD.
Hey, Hanzou has called me out on my belief in karate.
Well there's also the fact that every pure traditional karate fighter has done nothing but embarrass themselves on the MMA/NHB circuit....
I
Hope you can lend a hand here....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did respond....One video of Machida not making it work is irrelevant when he has 20 other fights where he does...
|
I can't find your reply specific to my vid post. Maybe you commented for another post? Please point out your reply.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score

‪boxing vs karate‬

‪Karate v Boxing‬

Well the first one is white belt with a shirt that says taekwonddo and what's up with their kicks? They look so soft while the boxers punching hard...

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the first one is white belt with a shirt that says taekwonddo and what's up with their kicks? They look so soft while the boxers punching hard...

Some schools dont spar hard, others do.

It really doesnt have anything to do with governing bodies and associations, its the instructors call.

Some schools who have overhead and other expenses will change contact level to be more appeal to parents bringing their kids in.

We've had parents look at their 8 year olds and say suck it up.
My instructors have also made parents made by having the kids keep sparring over a gutshot.

But, my schools not for profit. Losing students wont hurt us like it would schools that need the revenue.

He

He could have picked it up somewhere.... He was getting beat close range anyway, why are u nitpicking

He tends to do that with anything that isnt BJJ or MT, to each their own.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
|
Kinda like point sparring against full contact. Makes for a good demo.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My opinion, I disagree because it depends on whos fighting. a good karate or kung fu practitioner can well handle their self yes even against "street fighter"

Latest Discussions