Some interesting stuff , for Wing Chun people anyway.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is all good stuff Mr mook. Proper relaxation coupled with intent is something I've been trying to teach a private student lately. He's trained with a few different sifus in Malaysia and he knows a lot of techniques but as soon as we touch hands and I let my mind "rest" on him, he can't do anything. It's frustrating for him, as it was for me but he's slowly getting it. I told him I wouldn't teach him for a month and that he should go home and just practice SLT with relaxing and intent as focus.
I've got a new private student starting today at 5pm and I'm not letting him learn anything until he can stand properly. I'm going to try something new with him; have him start with some zhang zhuang basic postures and deep breathing exercises to teach him to use his mind to relax and then some basic structure tests. After that he's going to practice chung choi in the basic stance and that's it for a 2 hour lesson. He'll probably think I'm rippnig him off and quit but sod it eh?lol

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all good stuff Mr mook. Proper relaxation coupled with intent is something I've been trying to teach a private student lately. He's trained with a few different sifus in Malaysia and he knows a lot of techniques but as soon as we touch hands and I let my mind "rest" on him, he can't do anything. It's frustrating for him, as it was for me but he's slowly getting it. I told him I wouldn't teach him for a month and that he should go home and just practice SLT with relaxing and intent as focus.
I've got a new private student starting today at 5pm and I'm not letting him learn anything until he can stand properly. I'm going to try something new with him; have him start with some zhang zhuang basic postures and deep breathing exercises to teach him to use his mind to relax and then some basic structure tests. After that he's going to practice chung choi in the basic stance and that's it for a 2 hour lesson. He'll probably think I'm rippnig him off and quit but sod it eh?lol

He might quit , these days they expect to be learning the wooden dummy by the second lesson don't they?

But back to the video , I really think it is the thought process going on behind the technique that is more important than the actual techniques themselves.
I remember seeing footage of our Sigung saying that the techniques can be slightly off center and will still work well if the "mind" is right.
The movements don't have to be totally technically correct if the mind is generating the force.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I completely agree mate. I think our true centre is our body in compete neutrality, completely relaxed on the correct posture. the ange of your arms is not that important when your body is like this as your mind will make all the tiny ajustments in order to disapate/ guide the force etc.
It's the same with lat sau jik jeung, for me the forward intent is always there in my mind even if I'm not giving away a physical pressure that my partner can feel. then, when they make a mistake- whack! my hand finds it way. Any excess tension, especially in the mind, and it doesn't work very well.
I remember years ago when I was trying to learn to relax properly, I was having real problems with my neck and shoulders and then I was told to smile. I did so and everything just dropped down a few cm, nice and relaxed.

Latest Discussions