Some conclusions about the 2011 World Taekwondo Championship

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have spoken with my friends about the latest World Taekwondo Championship and we all agreed that the new rules are making competitions fairer and more exciting.

Personally, I really like the use of electric vests and video replays, I have also spoken with many fighters and pretty much everyone agreed that this was the right move for the World Taekwondo federation.

Of course there are still problems with the technology but I think that can be solved in the near future.

Fights are more fun to watch. There is much more head kicking and fighters are really doing some amazing combinations. Servet Tazegul from Turkey was (in my oppinion) the best fighter and the most exciting to watch. Also for the first time ever Korea didn't win the men's overall category. Iran was number one country and I wouldn't be surprised if they will continue to dominate.

European countries Turkey, Spain and France were also strong. Scandinavian countries didn't succeed at all.

I also noticed that countries like Croatia, Morocco and Thailand had strong teams! It would be fun to find out how they organized their training. They are definitely doing something right!

Korea was clearly a disappointment but I wasn't all that surprised. I felt like all the Korean fighters looked very much like each other and were missing a certain enjoyment and creativity.

I am pretty certain that they will change their coaching staff.

The Taekwondo competition is looking good and I am really excited about the future!

Yours,

Markku

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I notice how our very own english Sarah Stevenson didnt get a mention ;)

I hope the tech is fully sorted for the Olympics next year, as i've applied for tickets now i really want to see a good fair fight. Hopefully it'll signal the death-knell of branch trimming.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I notice how our very own english Sarah Stevenson didnt get a mention ;)

I saw my mistake :) UK was really good and I wasn't really surprised, Sarah Stevenson was brilliant and I think Jade Jones is the future world champion.

/Markku

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have spoken with my friends about the latest World Taekwondo Championship and we all agreed that the new rules are making competitions fairer and more exciting.

Personally, I really like the use of electric vests and video replays, I have also spoken with many fighters and pretty much everyone agreed that this was the right move for the World Taekwondo federation.

Of course there are still problems with the technology but I think that can be solved in the near future.

Fights are more fun to watch. There is much more head kicking and fighters are really doing some amazing combinations. Servet Tazegul from Turkey was (in my oppinion) the best fighter and the most exciting to watch. Also for the first time ever Korea didn't win the men's overall category. Iran was number one country and I wouldn't be surprised if they will continue to dominate.

European countries Turkey, Spain and France were also strong. Scandinavian countries didn't succeed at all.

I also noticed that countries like Croatia, Morocco and Thailand had strong teams! It would be fun to find out how they organized their training. They are definitely doing something right!

Korea was clearly a disappointment but I wasn't all that surprised. I felt like all the Korean fighters looked very much like each other and were missing a certain enjoyment and creativity.

I am pretty certain that they will change their coaching staff.

The Taekwondo competition is looking good and I am really excited about the future!

Yours,

Markku

At long last this will break the mold of the elite few depending on politics and boring technique to win!!!!!! So what if TKD looses the Olympics the art will survive based on Core Masters who teach the whole art and the community not the watered down comercialized Mc Do Jo that has evolved. For those who want to complain that the electronics don't work well you don't need it when the other guy is knocked down you don't need it when the other competitor cannot continue or is no longer awake. Mas Oyama refused to be part of this because he did not believe in the future of commercial sport fighting. Screw the blind techinque and the falling down techinque stand up and fight toe to toe last person standing not just who can dish it out but who can take it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
At long last this will break the mold of the elite few depending on politics and boring technique to win!!!!!!

It's only boring if you don't understand what went into setting up the boring technique that scores. That's why watching highlight videos doesn't do any good. You have to see the set up for the score in order to understand how the technique landed.

So what if TKD looses the Olympics

If Taekwondo loses its Olympic status, then present and future competitors will have the goal that they have been shooting for taken away, especially in other countries where an Olympic gold medal can mean lifelong financial security for the competitor as well as their family, not to mention the honor and pride that goes along with being an Olympic medalist or even an Olympian in a country that may not have any other competitors at the Games. These competitors from Iran or Turkey or China fight because it means a better life for them if they win and they are fighting for that better life. Hadi is a national hero in Iran and the world, an inspiration, something that he wouldn't be if Taekwondo weren't in the Olympics.

the art will survive based on Core Masters who teach the whole art and the community not the watered down comercialized Mc Do Jo that has evolved.

The commercialized Mcdojang will "survive" whether or not Taekwondo is in the Olympic Games. In fact, the commercialized Mcdojang has nothing to do with the Olympic movement, since those are generally not the ones who are producing Olympic caliber athletes. And I would like to also think that teaching the "whole art" also means understanding and teaching "boring techniques", as well as all the things that go along with setting up that boring technique to score.

For those who want to complain that the electronics don't work well you don't need it when the other guy is knocked down you don't need it when the other competitor cannot continue or is no longer awake.

Actually you do need electronic scoring even when the "other guy is knocked down". Many back kicks that land squarely and solidly on the lajust hogu don't score.

Mas Oyama refused to be part of this because he did not believe in the future of commercial sport fighting.

Oyama Sensei did not wish to be a part of Taekwondo because he had his own thing going, which he ran, and therefore he would have lost more than he gained by becoming a part of Taekwondo. It had nothing to do with "commercial sport fighting", since he was one of the biggest advocates of tournaments out there. His tournament still continues after he passed away. And you know who told me that? Your instructor GM Choi. He said Oyama Sensei had absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by joining Taekwondo.

Screw the blind techinque and the falling down techinque stand up and fight toe to toe last person standing not just who can dish it out but who can take it.

We don't stand "toe to toe" in Taekwondo competition, and frankly, we never did. Those that do wish to stand "toe to toe" generally are beaten badly by those that understand footwork.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

The concept of electronic scoring is good and is video replay. The problem is that LaJust is too inconsistent and unreliable, and plain and simple, does not work.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The concept of electronic scoring is good and is video replay. The problem is that LaJust is too inconsistent and unreliable, and plain and simple, does not work.

We haven't have much problems with Daedo, the problem is that everything just cost too much money. Now we had to buy Lajust socks and (Daedo socks we had it) for the Germany open.
(juniors fought with Daedo and seniors with Lajust)

/Markku

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Daedo system is WAY better than the LaJust system. The only thing I dont like about the Daedo system is that it seems that cut kicks score with just a light touch. But at least it scores to all the legal targets and scores more consistently than lajust.

We haven't have much problems with Daedo, the problem is that everything just cost too much money. Now we had to buy Lajust socks and (Daedo socks we had it) for the Germany open.
(juniors fought with Daedo and seniors with Lajust)

/Markku

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Daedo system is WAY better than the LaJust system. The only thing I dont like about the Daedo system is that it seems that cut kicks score with just a light touch. But at least it scores to all the legal targets and scores more consistently than lajust.

I understand that Daedo has its problems as well, but I think that it is a much better system than LaJust. Anything and everything is better than LaJust.

Latest Discussions