Society to blame for Obesity

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morph I agree and have bought this to there attention and there exact words well pizza hut brings in over a million dollars a year to the district in sponsordhip and lease payments. That kinds of kill that and the PTA is this is all the kids will spend money on. So it is a double edge sword that cannot be removed or they feel it will kill there funding. What a load of crap.

So the school board and PTA are trading on the kids health for profit. You should tell the PTA that you want to sell fireworks and knives, bet the kids would buy those too.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What really gets me are the people who order fried chicken, extra french fries, and then they get a diet coke- as if that is gonna make a difference.

I know this was a joke, but I hear it a lot so Im gonna address it here... I cant speak for anyone else, but I often, if ordering soda with a meal order diet... its not because I expect it to be healthy... but pop has a LOT of refined sugar in it, and I try and stay away from a lot of really sweet refined sugars. No captain crunch, no hohos, very very little candy, black coffee... I stay away from raw sugars - I get enough of those in beer.

Which leads me to another "Social" issue. We as american males are pre-programed drinkers. Watchin Sports? Cant do it without drinking! Wanna Socialize? Meet me at the bar! etc etc... Beer is great for makin you fat. Which is sad because as a HomeBrewer I LOVE beer. I make beer and I drink Beer.

But I also try to be more moderate in my beer intake than in my past, but I tell you... it is DAMN hard to convince friends to meet me for Coffee. They wanna go to the bar. Plus the restaruants around here frown on you hanging out all night just drinking coffee, but a bar doesnt care how long you sit there.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Yes, this PTA being allowed to sell that stuff seems hypocritical on the part of the school.

This school example is where it is so important for parents to educate kids from an early age to eat sensibly and understanding how to make good food choices. This example should be set by the parents as an example and reinforced constantly. It is learned at home and can be reinforced at home. I know several parents who started this when their kids were very young (2 years of age) and at 10 years of age it is amazing the choices these kids make when out at a restaurant or during activities for snacks. Of course, kids will be kids and some will sneak snacks. I know that I did. :)

I also know from experience that when I stop eating sugary snacks, sodas, and fast food for an extended period of time, I really lose an interest in them and they are almost a repulsion.

I think it is the individual's choice on what to eat and how to treat their bodies.

R. McLain

I believe society has to step in at sometimes and make certain people a ware of the potential problem.

Here is one of my concerns our school district took away the candy and soda pops, for they are not healthy but yet they let pizza hut or burger king set up shop in the cafeteria, what type of rules are they giving us.
Also the elementary school does not allow coolies cake chips or pop, but yet the PTA and other groups sell this stuff everyday in the hallways during lunch and afterschool. Where does that make any sense.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If only it were so simple... but the above person's health issues affect his/her insurance rates, either through private or public health care, and therefore affects my rates as well, either in my own premiums or through my taxes - and therefore it affects me, financially and also in terms of access to health care, as the above person, when s/he becomes ill as a result or as an adjunct to the weight issues, takes up time/space/personnel that are then not available for others.

Is it fair? Probably not. Is it right? Also probably not. Is it the way things go at the moment? Yeah... sadly, it is.

And this right here is one of the reasons why a lot of us are opposed to any kind of socialized medicine or health care. It's like the mafia - once they've done you a favor, now you owe them. "Sure, we'll pay for your coverage. Now we'd like to have a talk about the way you're living your life. For starters, you'll have to wear seat belts. And motorcycle helmets. And do you really think you need that bacon cheeseburger? "

So maybe the solution is not to start browbeating people for their eating habits, but to let them deal with the consequences themselves.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I mentioned on another thread, 25% of incoming kindergarterners in NYC are obese. The NYC Commissioner of Health said, "If the trend continues as is, in 10 years the complications of obesity will completely overwhelm the public health system."

It's not just about one individual eating a Big Mac.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which leads me to another "Social" issue. We as american males are pre-programed drinkers. Watchin Sports? Cant do it without drinking! Wanna Socialize? Meet me at the bar! etc etc... Beer is great for makin you fat. Which is sad because as a HomeBrewer I LOVE beer. I make beer and I drink Beer.

Well you are in luck...Beer is healthy for you. The average beer has no fat, no cholesterol, and around a 150 calories. Beer has vitamins and protien and carbohydrates. And it is mostly water. Guiness' had an advertising campain a while back that proposed that you "drink it for health". New studies show that a beer is better for you than water after a work out. It was the prohibition fanatics in the late 1800's that eventually made the government step in and control the general population with prohibition, that gave beer a bad rap. We all know the ill affects this step towards communism brought us. Should the government be to blame for fat kids...IMO...I don't think so. Should Mc Donald's be held acountable ...no. People need to be responsible for thier own actions and choices. I feel the same way about cigarettes. And even about the tennis elbow I've developed...damn Playboy.

Latest Discussions