Social Responsibility to the Deluded

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Further to the discussion in this thread, I am curious as to the thoughts of the people here regarding our responsibility as citizens to address or otherwise intervene when we become aware of someone who is clearly and quite obviously not living in reality.

Should we, as members of society, be intervening, or should we mind our own business? If we are to intervene, how far should we go?
There is this guy that has a lot where my parents spend their summers. He parks his car under a tinfoil tent, all his windows have tinfoil on them and he covers his signals on his car with duct tape. He also goes around town with a helmet lined with tin foil on his head. He is sure "somebody" is trying to read his thoughts. :)

The locals pretty much leave him be, they know he is "harmless" enough and his delusions are his own. He isn't impressing his beliefs on anyone and isn't expecting anyone else to join him in his unusual fashion choices and wear helmets themselves. The local police had to intervene and get him to remove the duct tape from his headlights and signals while driving, something, he did albeit he is nervous when driving now and only drives when absolutely necessary.

The man is obviously delusional. Probably needs some help but pays his rent for his lot on time and no one has ever had issues with him.

I say, if you wanna believe that someone is reading your thoughts, more power to you, if you wanna believe in the fact that you are a vampire, hey buddy be the best damn vampire you can be, hope your happy. Just don't push it in my face and don't make me feel threatened or in fear of you and we will get along just fine. I will intervene if I think myself or someone I love is in danger or if I am fearful you could hurt yourself.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can agree to that bro... can you agree to speak only for yourself? And not for those who think differently?

Believing you're a vampire is not a case of "thinking differently." It is a case of being mentally deranged. This is true for everyone, regardless of whether they own Macintosh computers. ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil. would you not say that the Goth / Vampire 'experience' is a common phase among young people between the ages of 10 and 30 and that some just need more time that others to grow out of it?

Not trying to be belligerent here, it's just that I've rarely seen a 40-year-old vampire ....

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Phil. would you not say that the Goth / Vampire 'experience' is a common phase among young people between the ages of 10 and 30 and that some just need more time that others to grow out of it?

Not trying to be belligerent here, it's just that I've rarely seen a 40-year-old vampire ....
No. Its not common. If it were common it would not be a "Subculture" it would be a "Culture". I agree its a Phase most of them grow out of, but also MOST of the Goths I know and love dont drink blood or actually believe they are vampires... and that seems to go for a majority of goths all over.

I mean, I'm in my early thirties, I still hang with goths, and I still do my rivethead thing, but I have "matured" into it...

Latest Discussions