Tolerance of Intolerance

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I look it, from my own beliefs versus politics is:

"Republicans say 'Change and then I will accept you'
Democrats say 'I accept you, no bother to change'
Jesus says 'I accept you as you are, however you do need to change'"

I know that's awfully simplistic, it's just a summation, but it's a summation that a) outlines how I feel I'm supposed to treat people and b) why I have a hard time fully identifying with either poltical party, or understanding why people supposedly of similar spritual belief as me in general, choose to do so.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everybody wants the OTHER guy to accept the fact that they may be wrong in their beliefs while not accepting the idea that they may be wrong themselves....

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"There are only 2 things I can't stand -

Those who are intolerant of other peoples cultures...

And the Dutch!"

Kind of sums up the problem, don't you think? I believe the the two words "Consentual" and "harm" are the key. If it doesn't hurt anyone, and all involved (adults) consent - let them do it.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well in terms of beliefs this is usually doesnt make much sense.
it doesnt really make sense you have faith and at the same time think you're wrong, right?
plus, it is very difficult to think clearly and objectively in this society. like i said everybody is labeled. that's a "commy" or a "jap" or a "jew" or a "muslamic" you cannot help but to descriminate and be intolerant eventually.
i do not "want the other guy" to accept the "fact" that they may be wrong. but if i do think they are I just wish they change. but that wish is only in my mind and i dont think it should pass my mouth usually
Tgace, thanks for the contribution, it made me think deeper! (good thing it made me "think")
ALTHOUGH YOU ARE WRONG AND NEED TO CHANGE YOUR OPINION
AND GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM TOO!
:D

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
"There are only 2 things I can't stand -

Those who are intolerant of other peoples cultures...

And the Dutch!"

Kind of sums up the problem, don't you think?

I'm not sure it needs to be this way. Lets take my church's service the other day. I think there is a way to deliver the message so that Christians are still feel welcomed despite their differing beliefs AND express the opinion that all citizens should be treated equally. Like I said before, I would be perfectly content with someone believing that homosexuality is wrong if homosexuals were treated equally under the law.

I think the society will eventually become more accepting of homosexuality anyway. It will just take time. However, we must be more cognizent of the application and equity of our laws.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
"Republicans say 'Change and then I will accept you'
Democrats say 'I accept you, no bother to change'
Jesus says 'I accept you as you are, however you do need to change'"

ROFLMAO.

You believe that, do you?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Wait, I don't get it. So we're supposed to tolerate bigotry? I don't think so.

As long as the bigotry is not law and it is a personal decision, then I would have to say, yes (well maybe as I'm still thinking about this). Tolerate does not mean agree, nor does it mean ignore.

Also, I think we need to make a distinction between persecution and people expressing their personal beliefs. I don't think we should be tolerant of persecution.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure, a person can be bigoted. It's a free country. A person may not be able to act on some of those beliefs in the way that he or she might want, but he or she can certainly hold those beliefs. Archie Bunker is alive and well and living in America, folks--and tolerating that is good. Neo-Nazis can hold rallies...and people can point out that they're imbeciles. That's freedom.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well what do you mean by "tolerate"? If a friend or associate tells a racist joke, or uses a racial slur, you'd just stand there and "tolerate"? Or would you say something?

If a local politician was a blatant racist, would you consider speaking out against him/her, or maybe write a letter to the editor, or tell your friends not to vote for him?

Well, if you'd say something or do something, that's not "tolerating" it. Thats protesting it, which would be, IMO, appropriate.

I don't "tolerate" racism or prejudice. In my opinion, that's immoral.

My father told me, "Don't tolerate prejudice. If someone tells you a racist joke, as soon as you turn your back, he's going to be telling jokes about you."

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Well what do you mean by "tolerate"? If a friend or associate tells a racist joke, or uses a racial slur, you'd just stand there and "tolerate"? Or would you say something?

If a local politician was a blatant racist, would you consider speaking out against him/her, or maybe write a letter to the editor, or tell your friends not to vote for him?

Well, if you'd say something or do something, that's not "tolerating" it. Thats protesting it, which would be, IMO, appropriate.

I don't "tolerate" racism or prejudice. In my opinion, that's immoral.

My father told me, "Don't tolerate prejudice. If someone tells you a racist joke, as soon as you turn your back, he's going to be telling jokes about you."
you're right
im probably the best at racist jokes, but i start with my own race, and usually people around me dont feel offended or anything
just like watching a comedy show, but now that im outta college (almost) i dont do it as much, but you're right

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tolerate doesn't mean support the beliefs. You can still state disagreement while tolerating. That's what differentiates toleration from agreement.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, then maybe we're just using different definitions of the word "tolerance." To me, "tolerating" bigotry would mean keeping my mouth shut and letting the bigot say or do what s/he pleases. To me, speaking out against bigotry isn't "tolerating" it.

On the other hand, if "tolerance" means speaking out against the bigot without kicking the &%^$ out of him/her, yeah, then I guess I'm tolerating it.

:)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Well, then maybe we're just using different definitions of the word "tolerance." To me, "tolerating" bigotry would mean keeping my mouth shut and letting the bigot say or do what s/he pleases. To me, speaking out against bigotry isn't "tolerating" it.

On the other hand, if "tolerance" means speaking out against the bigot without kicking the &%^$ out of him/her, yeah, then I guess I'm tolerating it.

:)

I agree. The difference, as I see it is that you can tell a person who is bigoted that they are an ignorant bigot... you cannot tell them they cant say the things they say. You can certainly tell them they SHOULDNT... just not that they CANNOT.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup. Germany outlaws Nazism. It's not tolerated there. Here, we have counter-rallies. That's toleration...not approval.

Latest Discussions