So why didn't Daniel press charges?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep... Scooby Doo is intense... truly does get you thinking. One of the best whodunnits :D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I made my second pass at the Scooby franchise a few years ago, when my son was in that age group, we used to shout out "SUSPECT!" when we had a theory, then that was our guess for the episode. I have to say, that show really holds up and the modern "What's New Scooby Doo?" reboot was quite well done. The monster chase scene always had an early 80s punk rock sound track and my son started saying "pop, you've got to hear this song!" and most of the time I would say "we have that record."

Sort of like the alternate view of Karate Kid that we're bantering though, I always wondered where these "kids" parents were, where they got their money, why didn't they have anyplace else to be, and how did they drive the Mystery Machine to Nepal or France or wherever they were that week?

This might just be my favorite MT thread of all times, by the way.
I got my 8 and 6 year old daughters into The Roadrunner. We watch old episodes on YouTube. Holds up quite well. There’s new ones, but they don’t like them. Either do I. After a good hour of it one day, my 8 year old asked if the coyote ever catches the roadrunner.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got my 8 and 6 year old daughters into The Roadrunner. We watch old episodes on YouTube. Holds up quite well. There’s new ones, but they don’t like them. Either do I. After a good hour of it one day, my 8 year old asked if the coyote ever catches the roadrunner.
There's a seth mcfarlane video short on it. The coyote just kinda gets depressed, not knowing what to do with his life now.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... Scooby Doo is intense... truly does get you thinking. One of the best whodunnits :D

There was a series (books and TV) back in the late-70's or early 80's that would basically run through a mystery giving clues along the way. At the end of the show, there was a break and when they came back they'd tell you what the clues were and what the solution was. The whole idea was to solve the crime yourself. I think it was called "Ellery Queen" or somesuch.
Very entertaining.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a series (books and TV) back in the late-70's or early 80's that would basically run through a mystery giving clues along the way. At the end of the show, there was a break and when they came back they'd tell you what the clues were and what the solution was. The whole idea was to solve the crime yourself. I think it was called "Ellery Queen" or somesuch.
Very entertaining.
The Encyclopedia Brown kids’ books had that, too. You had to go to the back to look up the solution to each case.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Encyclopedia Brown kids’ books had that, too. You had to go to the back to look up the solution to each case.

I remember one of his cases there was a road race after a blueberry pie eating contest. The boy that won was suspected of cheating. It was solved by the fact his teeth weren't stained, after eating the pie. It turns out, he had a twin brother and they switched places at some blind spot.

Anyway, my teeth don't get blueberry pie stains. So, I started looking at those stories as twisting some facts; to make them work.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember one of his cases there was a road race after a blueberry pie eating contest. The boy that won was suspected of cheating. It was solved by the fact his teeth weren't stained, after eating the pie. It turns out, he had a twin brother and they switched places at some blind spot.

Anyway, my teeth don't get blueberry pie stains. So, I started looking at those stories as twisting some facts; to make them work.
Oh, some of the logic was definitely strained. I remember arguing with the book more than once.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Who is old enough to remember the Ant and the Aardvark? I found that one on-line for my son when he was the right age. There's a cartoon that DEFINITELY holds up.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who is old enough to remember the Ant and the Aardvark? I found that one on-line for my son when he was the right age. There's a cartoon that DEFINITELY holds up.

The one from Pink Panther? The aardvark was blue, I think? Good stuff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

My 9th grade english teacher did this thing where at the beginning of each class, he gave us all a story from one of those cheap detective story books, with the ending removed. We had to solve it, and whoever solved it first got something (cant remember what). Normally was the first 5 minutes while everyone was filling in, so it rewarded both critical thinking/reading and timeliness.
Anyway, one day the story was about this guy calling the police about his store, which had been ransacked...money stolen, glass broken, tables turned, phone ripped out the wall, etc. And the cops figured out he did all that stuff himself.

None of us could figure out how they figured it out, and 15 minutes in we gave up and he told us. He told us that since the phone was ripped off, how had the guy called the police, so he must have called to report the robbery then ripped the phone off. Because it didnt make more sense that he just called from a cell phone (which were by that point in time a thing), or gone to the shop next door to call...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 9th grade english teacher did this thing where at the beginning of each class, he gave us all a story from one of those cheap detective story books, with the ending removed. We had to solve it, and whoever solved it first got something (cant remember what). Normally was the first 5 minutes while everyone was filling in, so it rewarded both critical thinking/reading and timeliness.
Anyway, one day the story was about this guy calling the police about his store, which had been ransacked...money stolen, glass broken, tables turned, phone ripped out the wall, etc. And the cops figured out he did all that stuff himself.

None of us could figure out how they figured it out, and 15 minutes in we gave up and he told us. He told us that since the phone was ripped off, how had the guy called the police, so he must have called to report the robbery then ripped the phone off. Because it didnt make more sense that he just called from a cell phone (which were by that point in time a thing), or gone to the shop next door to call...

Caller ID was a thing long before cell phones.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Caller ID was a thing long before cell phones.
That was actually one of the arguments my teacher made. But nowhere in the story did it mention where they got the call from, the phrasing was something like "The police got a call about X store being robbed, and when they got there, the store owner informed them he called, which was when they cuffed him.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That argument/story is one of those things I remember weirdly well. I dont remember any of the other stories, I couldnt tell you what books I read that year, and I couldnt tell you what the rewards were. But I remember that story.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I used to yell at the books about.

Latest Discussions