Fight scene morals

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so this is the final fight from cobra Kai series 2 it's a very controversial scene on the morals front.

SPOILERS FROM HERE.

So basically the Diaz kid started a fight with the other kid and they were fighting and Diaz put him down in an arm lock and was about to break his arm. But then he realised what he was doing and let go and stood back but the other guy got up and continued fighting and ended up accidentally kicking him over a railing.

Now some people for this scene blame the other kid because Diaz stopped and stepped back and the other carried it on when it could've been over.

But personally in my opinion. He got jumped from behind when he wasn't even trying to fight then got put on the floor in a dangerous position against a guy who'd already done serious damage to him in the previous series after pretending to back off. Plus his adrenaline is still going and he's a teenager....obviously the kid getting kicked over the railing isn't good but that was obviously accidental.

Now yes I know it's a movie or whatever but I'm bored and it's an interesting subject to discuss with other martial artists. What do you guys think?

Clip below

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you need another hobby, or some friends or at least watch game of thrones, no body has any morals in that and it has dragons

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you need another hobby, or some friends or at least watch game of thrones, no body has any morals in that and it has dragons
I have plenty of friends...I'm positing something on a forum don't like it don't comment trying to start an argument as you always do. I think you need a life because all you do here is argue with people. Now bye bye I won't be replying to you anymore

D

Deleted member 39746

I wish i read that, but the face in the thumbnail has distracted me, its oddly hypnotizing and funny at the same time. Anyway, putting aside my issues with choreography and appearances etc basically with the scene.

It just seems like assault/attempted murder/manslaughter for the 2. Grouped in assault to mean GBH and such as well. If you support the revenge/defend your face notion then kicking someone off the balcony seems a reasonable response. (all 4-6 for assault, i saw 4 people other than the two main ones fighting, scratch that re watched and saw about 10 including the ones at the start)

Actually what is it called if you attempt to cause GBH on someone specifically, or would that be bundled into murder/assault/attempted assault. Now that i thought about it, it would be attempted assault, but if anyone can correct that for me. May be conflating U.S and U.K laws/terminology.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh. It's a fight. It is not done until its done.

This is my favorite fight scene.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish i read that, but the face in the thumbnail has distracted me, its oddly hypnotizing and funny at the same time. Anyway, putting aside my issues with choreography and appearances etc basically with the scene.

It just seems like assault/attempted murder/manslaughter for the 2. Grouped in assault to mean GBH and such as well. If you support the revenge/defend your face notion then kicking someone off the balcony seems a reasonable response. (all 4-6 for assault, i saw 4 people other than the two main ones fighting, scratch that re watched and saw about 10 including the ones at the start)

Actually what is it called if you attempt to cause GBH on someone specifically, or would that be bundled into murder/assault/attempted assault. Now that i thought about it, it would be attempted assault, but if anyone can correct that for me. May be conflating U.S and U.K laws/terminology.
I keep correcting you, but it makes no discernable difference to your subsequent posts

rread this
Offences against the Person, incorporating the Charging Standard | The Crown Prosecution Service

D

Deleted member 39746

I keep correcting you, but it makes no discernable difference to your subsequent posts

rread this
Offences against the Person, incorporating the Charging Standard | The Crown Prosecution Service

Thats probably the ONLY thing you have actually cited to me directly from the CPS. But then i also want the U.S angle and common terminology.

Meh. It's a fight. It is not done until its done.

This is my favorite fight scene.

Gotta love the old boy ones.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats probably the ONLY thing you have actually cited to me directly from the CPS. But then i also want the U.S angle and common terminology.

Gotta love the old boy ones.
previously I've taken the trouble to explain it to you, all to no avail, through tez has posted the CPS guidelines 8n som3 of those threads. which you clearly didn't read, as you ask the same basic questions on English law every time. quite why you want to understand American law, when you cant be bothered to learn the laws of your own country, I'm not sure

D

Deleted member 39746

previously I've taken the trouble to explain it to you, all to no avail, through tez has posted the CPS guidelines 8n som3 of those threads. which you clearly didn't read, as you ask the same basic questions on English law every time. quite why you want to understand American law, when you are wilfully ignorant of your own countries laws I'm not sure

I don't recall any real explanations, apart from above with a included CPS document, and of the ones i get i usually skim them. (from you specifically, i recall a quick response about a use of force and relevant force, but this is about assault levels so different enough)

And there are plenty of U.S persons here, and since the series is set in the U.S the relevant local/state/federal laws would apply more accurately and their standards and such not English/U.K law. Apart from actual interest due to exposure to the U.S systems.

Anyway don't overly want to clutter the thread.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't recall any real explanations, apart from above with a included CPS document, and of the ones i get i usually skim them. (from you specifically, i recall a quick response about a use of force and relevant force, but this is about assault levels so different enough)

And there are plenty of U.S persons here, and since the series is set in the U.S the relevant local/state/federal laws would apply more accurately and their standards and such not English/U.K law. Apart from actual interest due to exposure to the U.S systems.

Anyway don't overly want to clutter the thread.
Just ignore him. He likes causing arguments

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so this is the final fight from cobra Kai series 2 it's a very controversial scene on the morals front.

SPOILERS FROM HERE.

So basically the Diaz kid started a fight with the other kid and they were fighting and Diaz put him down in an arm lock and was about to break his arm. But then he realised what he was doing and let go and stood back but the other guy got up and continued fighting and ended up accidentally kicking him over a railing.

Now some people for this scene blame the other kid because Diaz stopped and stepped back and the other carried it on when it could've been over.

But personally in my opinion. He got jumped from behind when he wasn't even trying to fight then got put on the floor in a dangerous position against a guy who'd already done serious damage to him in the previous series after pretending to back off. Plus his adrenaline is still going and he's a teenager....obviously the kid getting kicked over the railing isn't good but that was obviously accidental.

Now yes I know it's a movie or whatever but I'm bored and it's an interesting subject to discuss with other martial artists. What do you guys think?

Clip below

From the looks of it, Diaz didn't "start the fight". When I think of someone as "starting a fight", I think of them provoking someone into a fight, or else sucker punching them with no provocation. In this case, it appears Diaz is stepping in to defend the girl, as the blonde kid is being way too aggressive with her.

As to the morals around the end - he should have done one of two things (actually both, IMO):
  1. Signal to the blond kid that he is done with the fight and doesn't want it to escalate further, AND get acknowledgement that the fight is over
  2. When you release the tension, back away explosively so there isn't room for a retaliation
What he did, realize he didn't want to hurt the guy, and then just release tension and sit there stunned by your own moral dilemma, was the perfect opportunity for the opponent to retaliate.

I will have to agree with @Rat , the choreography was horrible. Lots of those strikes that "hit" were very visibly 6" or more away from their target, a lot of the short clips looked more like one-step drills than a real fight, and there were some very suspect camera angles in there as well.

Latest Discussions