So what made you change?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my case, i kept expanding what i learned more than really totally changing styles.
Any changes i have made has been because I felt one version or style was more effective for me than another. I would say changing teachers made the biggest difference, not the style.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I have noticed a lot of the members here on the forum have done more then one MA in their training. Many have done one form, only to later change to another.

What made you change? Why did you leave one system for the other? Were you disillusioned with the system you were studying or were you looking to expand your experiences?

For me, while I've trained in a few different arts, Kenpo was and will continue to be my base. I've come across a few other arts, that have caught my eye and have further addressed areas that I've wanted to expand upon.

Many times, I think someone may look to something else to fill a void in the current art they're studying. However, that void may not necessarily be in the art, but in the way that they interpret the art.

Mike

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
What made you change? Why did you leave one system for the other? Were you disillusioned with the system you were studying or were you looking to expand your experiences?

I heard a quote the other day from an employment expert. She said, "Employees don't quit companies, they quit people." Which leads to wonder if people leave systems as much as leave people, too.

In my case, my first TKD instructor sold his school & moved to another state. I thought he hung the moon & was less than thrilled with training under someone else. The guy he sold the school to was not exactly a Dale Carnegie graduate (he had no tact or repoire with people). In my one & only conversation with him (as one of the BB's of the school he had just bought) he told me, "Mr. Kim taught you the wrong way, I'm going to teach you the right way." That's when I got up from the table & left & never went back.

I left & trained at my best friend's school. It was a husband & wife. She was the brains of the outfit, & he falsified his (& later our) rank certificates. It took 8 years for this all to come to light when they divorced. Their brother-in-law (a good guy & a good friend) branched off & started his own school. But by then, I was pretty disillusioned & hurt by all that happened there.
I went looking for something else. I found a great American rules Kickboxing school. I gained a lot of great friends & great instructor. I stayed for 5 years, until the owner/trainer
died of a brain tumor. I boxed for a few years until I was asked to help teach a karate class at the local Community Center by the instructor. That lead to being asked to teach my own TKD program. While I've certainly run into my share of egos in MA, I've known many more really decent folks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in MDK TKD and after a short ime realised that I wanted some thing different. I changed jobs an stats and ended up in N.H. where I stated my study of Sikaran

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven't started another style yet, but I'm looking. It's mainly because of the certain areas that my current style is lacking. I didn't put much thought into choosing the style I'm currently in other than it was the closest to where I lived. But now that I know more about what I'm looking for I want to find a style or place to train that is more to my liking. I don't plan on quitting my current style, just find something that will fill in where I want.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started in Tang Soo Do. I LOVED it, or the dojang that I studied at. My instructor mixed a bit of Muay Thai, and Hapkido into the system. Then the Jujitsu instructor who shared space with him taught our students and instructors, and then they passed it down to us. So, to me, it was a very well rounded art (or school). We did TSD forms and one steps, jujitsu self defense and grappling, and Muay Thai kick boxing (even the point sparring was non-existant in this dojang, unless we had a tourny coming up).

BUT, life changes, and I had to move :( I still train there when I visit family in NJ, though.

I found a TKD dojang here in NY. I didn't really like it. It was too sport at the time. I studied for a year there, then found a TKD MKD school ... McDojang :rolleyes: So I went back to the first dojang, because my better half still trains there, and they do a little more self defense. Studied for another two years, then quit in June. They were back to pushing sport, and it got expensive (not to mention the politic BS got out of hand).

I did Judo for a while, too. But my instructor quit teaching (at the YMCA). But rumor has it, that he's back. I may check it out. I do Jujitsu now. Well, was. My instructor did private lessons with us, but now he's looking to start actual classes (he is looking for space to do so). So that is up in the air right now :(

Right now, I'm not training, except for a short stint at an ITF dojang. I liked it, but I'm a little taken back by these other two TKD dojangs (not really sure if I should trust it). So I studied MA for 6 years, and nothing to show for it. Kidding. I still have my knowledge, I think.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I moved to Indiana I started studying Shorin Ryu - Shorinkan and it was the best thing that had happened. There is were I learned kata and picked up all the depth and detail. I am no longer with my original instructor for unknown reasons and have expanded the system I founded and renamed it as a result.​

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i've left different schools for different reasons. The first school I was in I left due to joining the active duty military. When I returned to my home state, some one else had taken the reins and it was not the same place. I found several schools (jujutsu, aikido, and a JKD/Kali/Kempo school) that I played with untill 1998 when I hurt my knee. I was only able to play with the JKD/Kali/Kempo guys afterwards as my knee was healing and stayed there untill the end of 2005. I left that school due to scheduling conflicts with some life matters (i have my own business and puting in as much time as I was at the school was not going to work). I am now at another Kempo school twice a week and I train privately with some people as often as my schedule will allow.

I won't say that I regretted leaving one school or another as I always enjoyed being the newbie as well as the satisfaction I get from seeing the same thing done in a new way (from changing systems). All in all I would have to say that the only thing I have really changed is locations as all martial arts are the same...just pronounced differently.

Regards,
Walt

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I was wondering after seeing the other posts is, whether or not any of you have considered taking up your "first" art again? I have noticed that some have went back and then had to leave again for varying reasons. I don't want to get this wonderful thread off from where it has been, but I would find this enlightening.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started both TKD and HKD from the same school. My HKD instructor said it would be too much for me eventually -- he was right.

At Il Gup in TKD and blue belt in HKD (about mid-way to bb), I decided to put HKD on hold till I got my TKD bb.

Ended up focusing on TKD for awhile, achieving 2nd dan bb.

One day I decided I needed to return to HKD to work toward my black belt in that art.

I've pretty much decided to stick with HKD as my training art, although sometimes I do miss TKD.

HKD meets my needs better and I want to be able to pass on this particular style of HKD to posterity in honor of GM Lee H. Park and my instructor, Master Mike Morton.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
One thing I was wondering after seeing the other posts is, whether or not any of you have considered taking up your "first" art again? I have noticed that some have went back and then had to leave again for varying reasons. I don't want to get this wonderful thread off from where it has been, but I would find this enlightening.

Yes, I would definitely take up TSD again. If there were a dojang here that taught it, I'd still be learning TSD. If I move again, and I find one, I would switch back (if it's not a McDojang, that is). If I had a chance to attend my first dojang again, that would be even better. But that's "wishful thinking."

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:

When my kenpo school closed, the owner and a few others continued training, but I wanted to find somthing a bit closer to work. I found a place to do Tai Chi and Kung Fu. While I enjoyed the internal arts there, I found the kung fu unwieldy for my body and age so decided to return to Kenpo. A lot of it was to return to the external art I loved and to "finish what I started." It is a bit of a drive, but for only twice a week, it is worth the switch.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good to hear that you would consider going back. I have of recent went back and started reviewing my notes and techniques I learned while training in EPAK. It has allowed me to get back my love for my first style. I will speculate that one of these days I will find another school and take it up again. Thanks for your guy's/gal's insight.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
zDom said:
I started both TKD and HKD from the same school. My HKD instructor said it would be too much for me eventually -- he was right.

At Il Gup in TKD and blue belt in HKD (about mid-way to bb), I decided to put HKD on hold till I got my TKD bb.

Ended up focusing on TKD for awhile, achieving 2nd dan bb.

One day I decided I needed to return to HKD to work toward my black belt in that art.

I've pretty much decided to stick with HKD as my training art, although sometimes I do miss TKD.

HKD meets my needs better and I want to be able to pass on this particular style of HKD to posterity in honor of GM Lee H. Park and my instructor, Master Mike Morton.

Scott,
Dad would be happy to read what you typed. By the way, what you said is the same I want to get out of TKD now that I am on hapkido sabbatical for who knows how long. Grandmaster Charles Hildebrand is a stickler on tae kwon do just as dad is a stickler for hapkido.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started out in Boxing as a young child. It was something my father put me into. Growing up watching Bruce and other famous artists on TV, I became fascinated with kicking. This later led me to seek out Taekwondo, that also included some Hapkido and Gumdo. After sometime, eventually achieving a 2nd Dan while being an instructor... I simply decided it was time for a switch. So I switched to another style of Taekwondo, to find it was mainly the same thing. Due to the lack of leg kicks and hand techs in sparring I decided to change arts completely... starting out with Muay Thai. Ever since then, I have been merely adding experience to my arsenal (including JKD, Kali, Kenpo, BJJ, Savate, Capoeira, and others). Its like trying another culture's cuisine to me. The flavor and tastes are so brillant, I want to try more. And different spices and cooking methods yield different results. Just intriguing stuff... I just can't stop learning. Its a shame things like work, school, bills, life etc. get in the way of continual training.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I have noticed a lot of the members here on the forum have done more then one MA in their training. Many have done one form, only to later change to another.

I changed from primarly Japanese Jujitsu to primarly Muay Thai (with Mixed Martial Arts as my secondary art) because deep down inside , I was always a striker.Even when I did Jujitsu I always leaned towards the "Atemi" ;for years I studied various Striking arts(Karate Taekwondo Freestyle/Hybrid Striking) but none of them quite fit me.I didnt find my fighting style until I found Muay Thai.I fits me so perfectly!!

For my grappling I tend now to lean more toward MMA then Japanese Jujitsu because like Muay Thai,MMA fits me better because it incorporates all the ranges of fighting,as oppose to one dimensional grappling.

Latest Discussions