So... What Are You Playing?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My two boys have recently become interested in learning to play musical instruments. I got my 15 year old a piano and gave my Yamaha electric/acoustic to my 13 year old. Their now taking lessons. So, all of the sudden, I don't have a guitar and decided to treat myself to a new one :)

I bought a Martin DCPA5 electric/acoustic, and I love it It's one of their lower end guitars but still looks and sounds great. Since I haven't played much, it's more than good enough for me. The boys inspired me to learn and play more. I'd like to get good enough where I can justify spending more money on equipment. My wife's getting nervous because now I'm looking at some Gibson Electric guitars ;)

So, what I'm interested in knowing... what are you guys playing?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you, Tames D. I wish I could say I played something but alas the best I got is foot tapping. :)
Now, my son and daughter started piano at a young age with my son, after 10 years, dropping it for teen boy things. My daughter is still going strong after 28 years.

Music is food for the soul.

It sounds like your heading in the right direction with the boys and yourself. The challenge now will be getting the wife on board, thanks for sharing..... :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my "sister" (i was adopted and she's theirs) played in the bermudan orchestra -- flute and piccolo -- she now lives in new york somewhere don't know if she's still playing though.

she top graded in both flute and piccolo before she left high school :) --- i've not seen her for about 15years though :(

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I got enrolled into a local music group. I was given a Violin to try, but was pretty terrible. Don't have an ear for music, unless it was my 1210's years later lol.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you, Tames D. I wish I could say I played something but alas the best I got is foot tapping. :)
Now, my son and daughter started piano at a young age with my son, after 10 years, dropping it for teen boy things. My daughter is still going strong after 28 years.

Music is food for the soul.

It sounds like your heading in the right direction with the boys and yourself. The challenge now will be getting the wife on board, thanks for sharing..... :)

I seem to recall a video of your family around the piano? I believe your daughter was playing? she was very good. It was a while back, so I may have it wrong.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I played bass in a folk-rock band for years. These days I mostly play guitar. I have an acoustic Carvin guitar that I love. My repertoire is primarily folk, but I'm trying to build up some bluegrass style flatpicking skills.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an Ibanez CraigsList Deluxe ;)

In all seriousness, its an Ibanez Mikro. Short-scale bass that my old guitarist found for a great price on Craig's List. It was originally a kind of purple metallic that was done over with dark blue automotive paint. Now the paint is starting to wear off and the purple is coming through...pretty funny. :D Some folks like to poo-poo short scale basses. So, I pair it with another thing some purists don't care for --- a GK Ultralight amp (250 watts through twin 10" speakers, 35 pounds!!!) Critics can say what they are gonna say, but I gotta tell ya -- that bass through that amp sounds FREAKING AMAZING. And having been through a lot of setups and breakdowns with that rig, I've never, ever dreaded moving it-- even when a flight of stairs is involved. (Now, where were all those critics when I had a 135 pound Trace Elliot rig that had to be schlepped back and forth? LMAO!)

On a bass forum, one instructor posted a photo of a young girl at his church who received the same bass for Christmas. Never met them, but I found the photo to be so moving, that I kept it. The young bassist's name is Grace, she was 12 at the time, and I wish her all the best on her musical journey :asian:

Grace2.jpg