Flaming birds? Solar power?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, elder999?

You find a new way to roast birds? ;) What? Ants and magnifying glasses aren't cool enough?

Seems that some solar power plants in the Mojave are frying birds that fly over them...

More seriously? Looks to me like the birds are flying through foci of the mirrors, and they're getting toasted in the highly focused beam.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that today as well. Pretty wild and sad for the birds.

I don't know... Tweak it a little, maybe get 'em to fly through a seasoning mist... And you have a new income stream! Solar-roasted pheasant, anyone? Sun-baked squab?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was fascinating. I never thought of the light attracting insects, and insects attracting birds.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually think they will be able to find a solution ie. noise, etc. to scare them off and around it. I regularly pass this place and it is interesting to look at!

AdamGrose

White Belt
Reaction score
That's fine until you start getting pigeons... rats with wings. Bleah!!! ;)

I don't know... Tweak it a little, maybe get 'em to fly through a seasoning mist... And you have a new income stream! Solar-roasted pheasant, anyone? Sun-baked squab?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if someone brought a chicken out there...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I thought Angry Birds was just a game...

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
There surely has to be a way to mitigate against this. Proper focusing of the mirrors, combined with airport style bird deterrents? I would hate the fossil fuel companies to have the chance to use this to scare people off. All new ideas have their issues that need to be resolved.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the smoke plume that comes from birds that ignite in midair.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I know it wrong of me, but that is the funniest thing I have read all year. Interesting use of technology though.[/FONT]

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love that idea :)

i've been to your end of the country and it's littered with the flying mosquito's ;) no wonder you got so many down there though when you consider just how many old folks are feeding the flying vermin ;)

Yeah it's mad. Sometimes when I am on patrol, I feel like I am walking past a clone army. Keeping on topic though, that sort of power plant could be built at Dungeness. Not sure the Gatwick flight path, but surely it would appease the Greenies. Natural light on waste ground would have minimal impact, what are you going to find aside from super sized Cockroaches. The current power plant is due to be de-commissioned in 2018.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the nuclear plant on anglesey just down the road from me is due to get decomissioned soon too :( so at least it'll match the one next to it that got decomissioned a while back :(

so now what we'll have is 2 monster concrete tower blocks :( and they tried to appease the green lobby by creating 4 huge wind turbine farms about a mile off the north wales coast and they're planning on adding more to the ones that are already there...........

my electric comes from the hydro electric plant on the other side of mountain to my house :) think that it's the most environmentally friendly option -- people like waterfalls and lakes and things so for me it adds to the scenery rather than detracting from it. thinking that more could and should be put into wave and tidal technology cos that wouldn't be so much of a blot on the landscape plus it'd make power even when there's little or no wind --- forgot my grandad's had baked beans for his dinner ;)

if they want to try an experiment then try this :-

get a piece of 50lb fishing line -- about 3ft should be enough -- and tie a biggish hook on one end and a decent sized fishing weight -- 4ounces or more -- then get a fairly big piece of bread then push the hook through it and leave it where the gull will eat it :) then watch as it takes the bread and flies off, once it starts turning in the air the lead weight will spin round it wrapping it up and making it crash into whatever :) if it lands in the sea then it'll go straight to the bottom with a big splash :) spent many hours doing this sort of stuff when i was younger :)

misspent youth and all that ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
donnaTKD said:
get a piece of 50lb fishing line -- about 3ft should be enough -- and tie a biggish hook on one end and a decent sized fishing weight -- 4ounces or more -- then get a fairly big piece of bread then push the hook through it and leave it where the gull will eat it :) then watch as it takes the bread and flies off, once it starts turning in the air the lead weight will spin round it wrapping it up and making it crash into whatever :) if it lands in the sea then it'll go straight to the bottom with a big splash :) spent many hours doing this sort of stuff when i was younger :)

misspent youth and all that ;)

That is pretty ****ed up right there :idunno:

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
no really !!!!! thought that's what every kid did -- O oh..........

the solar thing though that would be most useful in towns and cities with a massive pigeon population.........

just saying............ ;)

I've heard of such. I'm not sure its right though. Where I work ( a very popular seaside town) you have to know what you're doing to eat fish and chips outdoors without being mugged by a seagull. To be honest though, I love watching the tourists get robbed of their seaside delights. Their faces are a picture. First, the terror, or realising they have been surrounded by a gang of 300 birds that are each considerably larger than they looked on TV, then the shock when one of them takes something right from their paper. Sometimes I wish there were more seagulls, then there might be less zombies (people - tourists - who forget that the town is actually a real working town with working people) getting in my way on my lunch break.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like what they did here -- tehy reintroduced red kites into our valley and it's made a huge difference to the number of gulls that venture into our valley when it's rough out at sea :)

yay for common sense in the reintroduction of the red kite :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of such. I'm not sure its right though. Where I work ( a very popular seaside town) you have to know what you're doing to eat fish and chips outdoors without being mugged by a seagull. To be honest though, I love watching the tourists get robbed of their seaside delights. Their faces are a picture. First, the terror, or realising they have been surrounded by a gang of 300 birds that are each considerably larger than they looked on TV, then the shock when one of them takes something right from their paper. Sometimes I wish there were more seagulls, then there might be less zombies (people - tourists - who forget that the town is actually a real working town with working people) getting in my way on my lunch break.

Man you need a chill pill. I also work in a big City that is Brighton and Hove. Seagulls, if we did not dump so much **** then there would be no issues. Tourists only go for advertisements, you don't want them, don't advertise. You want Common Gulls, cool!!

Latest Discussions