Snake Kung Fu

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there's some topics on here but like the leopard I figured I'd try to spark new conversations on it. Anyone willing to share their knowledge? I've got more info on snake than leopard but any forms techniques or training would be appreciated

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This here is something I've wanted to know more about
"The Snake kicks are low and sharp, using either the point of the toes or
the ball of the foot. The Snake will attack while using the bending foot,
kicking foot, low piercing foot, and flowing inserting foot techniques. The
targets for the Snake kicks are the opponent's ankles, shins, calves, knees,
and groin. Practitioners who are quick and agile, have a long reach and
small bone"

The bending foot,kicking foot, low piercing foot, and flowing inserting foot techniques.

They might be super simple but they sound interesting and figured I'd ask if anyone's familiar with these

This from the book The Essence of Internal Martial Arts, Vol 1 by Jerry Alan Johnson

I can post a link to the book if needed/possible

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128_073358_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128_073358_Drive.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This here is something I've wanted to know more about
"The Snake kicks are low and sharp, using either the point of the toes or
the ball of the foot. The Snake will attack while using the bending foot,
kicking foot, low piercing foot, and flowing inserting foot techniques. The
targets for the Snake kicks are the opponent's ankles, shins, calves, knees,
and groin. Practitioners who are quick and agile, have a long reach and
small bone"

The bending foot,kicking foot, low piercing foot, and flowing inserting foot techniques.

They might be super simple but they sound interesting and figured I'd ask if anyone's familiar with these

This from the book The Essence of Internal Martial Arts, Vol 1 by Jerry Alan Johnson

I can post a link to the book if needed/possible
In the Five Family Style, the front kick has the foot turned. Right kick has the toe pointed left...

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the Five Family Style, the front kick has the foot turned. Right kick has the toe pointed left...
I see so we're talking something just as simple as turning either way when doing a front kick? So something like this?
20221215_143934.jpg

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see so we're talking something just as simple as turning either way when doing a front kick? So something like this?
View attachment 29384
If I'm doing a right low kick (like in your bottom picture), the toe points right. Front snap kick with the right leg has the toe pointing left and the left snap kick has the toe pointing right. The side of the foot is what's making contact.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I'm doing a right low kick (like in your bottom picture), the toe points right. Front snap kick with the right leg has the toe pointing left and the left snap kick has the toe pointing right. The side of the foot is what's making contact.
I see so the "blade edge" as some call it is being used for front and side kicks in this sense?

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I see so the "blade edge" as some call it is being used for front and side kicks in this sense?
Or is it more of a general rule whatever kick your doing you should be using the edge of the foot either inside or outside?

Would you happen to know of the others
low piercing foot and flowing inserting foot?
I could assume piercing foot would be toe kicks but I didn't want to assume without knowing

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Or is it more of a general rule whatever kick your doing you should be using the edge of the foot either inside or outside?

Would you happen to know of the others
low piercing foot and flowing inserting foot?
I could assume piercing foot would be toe kicks but I didn't want to assume without knowing
Our Snake form only has front snap kicks. I'm not familiar with the names
low piercing foot and flowing inserting foot.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our Snake form only has front snap kicks. I'm not familiar with the names
I see thanks for letting me know. When it comes to piercing foot it's probably as simple as toe kicks. Although with the bent leg technique are there many combinations? I've only thought of the two I posted above which I'm familiar with just not from snake though.

Would you mind posting anything regarding snake? It's been a style id like to learn more of. I have some content on it that I can post as well

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some Training from the essence of internal Martial arts book

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221216_112737_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216_112737_Drive.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20221216_112747_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216_112747_Drive.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 42

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see thanks for letting me know. When it comes to piercing foot it's probably as simple as toe kicks. Although with the bent leg technique are there many combinations? I've only thought of the two I posted above which I'm familiar with just not from snake though.

Would you mind posting anything regarding snake? It's been a style id like to learn more of. I have some content on it that I can post as well
I'm teaching online as well as privately here in Los Angeles. The Snake is the 7th form to learn and has 108 movements.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm teaching online as well as privately here in Los Angeles. The Snake is the 7th form to learn and has 108 movements.
That's really cool. What are the other forms you teach? Could you possibly link the course? I'm pretty swamped with courses currently but I might check it out and I'm sure others would enjoy it also

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's really cool. What are the other forms you teach? Could you possibly link the course? I'm pretty swamped with courses currently but I might check it out and I'm sure others would enjoy it also
I have one online student in Rome Italy. I send him about 5 moves at a time. He sends back a video that I critique in an email using the time frame to show the correction. The basis of the style is the first six forms, starting with the Salute. There are 5 animals forms. Snake, Tiger, Dragon, Leopard and Crane. There are 4 weapons to learn in-between each animal. So there are 15 forms to learn to get a certificate. There are also a number of "extra" forms, exercises, chin-na, etc. My contact information can be found at kungfuwest.com.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have one online student in Rome Italy. I send him about 5 moves at a time. He sends back a video that I critique in an email using the time frame to show the correction. The basis of the style is the first six forms, starting with the Salute. There are 5 animals forms. Snake, Tiger, Dragon, Leopard and Crane. There are 4 weapons to learn in-between each animal. So there are 15 forms to learn to get a certificate. There are also a number of "extra" forms, exercises, chin-na, etc. My contact information can be found at kungfuwest.com.
Should we just contact you on the site if interested in online classes?

Latest Discussions