Smart phone is telling on you...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html

A WSJ Investigation finds that iPhone and Android apps are breaching the privacy of smartphone users.

Few devices know more personal details about people than the smartphones in their pockets: phone numbers, current location, often the owner's real name—even a unique ID number that can never be changed or turned off.

These phones don't keep secrets. They are sharing this personal data widely and regularly, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found.

An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent. Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age, gender and other personal details to outsiders.

The findings reveal the intrusive effort by online-tracking companies to gather personal data about people in order to flesh out detailed dossiers on them...

eek...
and there, I thought I was dumb having a cheap flip phone with no apps....

bad enough what I tell about myself... don't need a phone spilling the beans on me, too.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too :D.

Can't abide phones even when they are safely tied to the wall where they belong

This obsession that what someone has to say simply cannot wait until they are actually with the person they want to say it to has ever befuddled me.

When the phone becomes the dominant partner in the arrangement then a human has a real problem.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The robot uprising will depend on smart phones to rat us out. Then who you gonna call????

Tough....

My phone is usually not charged or lost some place...

But carrier pigeon might reach me... ^_^

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The robot uprising will depend on smart phones to rat us out. Then who you gonna call????
ghostbusters.gif

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not have or want a smart phone. I don't use 90% of the features on the phone I have. In a year, maybe two, there will be nothing marketed except smart phones.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not have or want a smart phone. I don't use 90% of the features on the phone I have. In a year, maybe two, there will be nothing marketed except smart phones.

I have to see if I own the book, the image is not online as far as I know....

but a German humorist had a stunning little drawing about something like this....5 years ago.

It shows a lady sitting on a room sized sewing machine, manuverung levers and such.

In the text it says something to the context 'this sewing machine does the cooking child rearing, etc, but we chose to omit a sewing program....

Every time I see a new version of a smart phone or whatever, I have to think about that: does it even still do phone calls?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to see if I own the book, the image is not online as far as I know....

but a German humorist had a stunning little drawing about something like this....5 years ago.

It shows a lady sitting on a room sized sewing machine, manuverung levers and such.

In the text it says something to the context 'this sewing machine does the cooking child rearing, etc, but we chose to omit a sewing program....

Every time I see a new version of a smart phone or whatever, I have to think about that: does it even still do phone calls?
Consider that an iPad is little more than an oversized iPhone, less telephony functionality...

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Consider that an iPad is little more than an oversized iPhone, less telephony functionality...

I know, it's more than twice the size of a kindle - with less functions
10 times as big as an iPhone....
and about what half the size of a net book - also with less functions...so why?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know, it's more than twice the size of a kindle - with less functions
10 times as big as an iPhone....
and about what half the size of a net book - also with less functions...so why?

How else ya gonna goof off at work without the boss catching you? You know with corporate internet traffic being monitored and all that.

On a more serious note...there is a lot to be said for keeping work and personal communications completely separate.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How else ya gonna goof off at work without the boss catching you? You know with corporate internet traffic being monitored and all that.
read a book on kindle...

it's not like the ipad is invisible....
(actually something my Husband noticed where he works, everybody having their iPhones and Pads up on the work bench, streaming movies and junk....and naturally expecting a big paycheck at the end of the week....)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to confess I listen to BBC podcasts whilst I am working ... but I don't get a big paycheck (thanks to Maggie killing the Unions) so that's probably okay :D.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like my smartphone and all. Its helped me out in all kinds of situations. It even makes calls too! but the personal information thing creeps me out.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quit hitting on me in the thread!
Ah, keep crushing my wee little heart....:vu:

:lfao:
(hitting on you otherwise is out of the question, I'm afraid!)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions