SKK Combos and Various Attacks

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks...i would be interested in knowing oneof your kempo's that go straight for the throat. we have a few also.

marlon

I'll do that for you, just have to be after this hellish weekend sometime. We had testing yesterday and a street faire today where we were told on Friday that we had a 45 minute demo to prepare ... it's going to be pretty much impromptu. Whatever they like, they get more of.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll do that for you, just have to be after this hellish weekend sometime. We had testing yesterday and a street faire today where we were told on Friday that we had a 45 minute demo to prepare ... it's going to be pretty much impromptu. Whatever they like, they get more of.

Good luck!!! :karate: :duel: :boing1:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, left block/left *step*--a very aggressive 'block' meant to stop their momentum dead, and even unbalance them.

Interesting the differences, we do this technique with more of an aikido flow to it. there is no stop until the assailant is on the ground. i want thier momentum to become my tool.

respectfully,
marlon
That is an interesting take. We have other techniques that are more take down (shuaijiao) than percussive, and these would be right in line with your version of combo 10. Like the old saying, The ground never misses. :D

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've always done 10 with a right step, simultaneous left outward block and spearhand to the groin (shearing across the berries), followed by the takedown already detailed. We strive to flow quickly to the takedown. I'm looking forward to trying the variation with a neck grab instead of the bear paw to the ear (thumb to the carotid, mastoid grab?). An interesting variation after the takedown is a head stomp with the left, then fall into an armbar. I know, don't go to the ground unless you have to
icon12.gif

I was never really clear on why the system has 8 and 9, as they're so similar. What am I missing?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always done 10 with a right step, simultaneous left outward block and spearhand to the groin (shearing across the berries), followed by the takedown already detailed. We strive to flow quickly to the takedown. I'm looking forward to trying the variation with a neck grab instead of the bear paw to the ear (thumb to the carotid, mastoid grab?). An interesting variation after the takedown is a head stomp with the left, then fall into an armbar. I know, don't go to the ground unless you have to
icon12.gif

I was never really clear on why the system has 8 and 9, as they're so similar. What am I missing?

Hello Mark, i think a neck grab in 10 uses too much force whereas the bear paw moves the head back and continues the circles to bring the opponents rt ear into your chest (from a right attack) this controls the spine and if the spine is controlled... just how i do it.

as for 8 and 9 i do them differently from each other. I mentioned the differences in post 154 of this thread. I see little value in doing them the same with an extra kick added to 9

respectfully,
marlon

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marlon,
Thanks, I'll look at that post on 8 and 9. As for 10, I'm with you on keeping the circle going. But I'm going to try the neck thing just for fun, even if it does disrupt the flow, 'cause I can picture the grimace ...
Mark

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK. I agree that 8 and 9 are different than 6, but don't see that they're significantly different from each other. What I do see is that 8 is (simplistically stated), a defend, counter, then get out of Dodge. 9 does all that, then goes back with a potentially devastating finish.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK. I agree that 8 and 9 are different than 6, but don't see that they're significantly different from each other. What I do see is that 8 is (simplistically stated), a defend, counter, then get out of Dodge. 9 does all that, then goes back with a potentially devastating finish.

With 9 there is a wrist grab and a control that allows for some musculoskeletal manipulation. the first kick in 9 acts like 16 in that it checks the forward motion to facilitate the grab. the step down before the side kick uses your weight shift to unbalance the attacker before the kick or can cause a reaction in the attacker to pull back thereby allowing you to borrow force that is channeled into the side kick..there is also the possiblity for a great amount of tension to the elbow of the attacker before the last kick. hope what i am typing is clear enough.

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon,
Thanks, I'll look at that post on 8 and 9. As for 10, I'm with you on keeping the circle going. But I'm going to try the neck thing just for fun, even if it does disrupt the flow, 'cause I can picture the grimace ...
Mark

:)

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Marlon. I was never taught the wrist grab, that certainly does present options not available otherwise.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think our #8 must be different.

Ours starts with the outer block and right HM step, but also uses a simultaneous tiger-mouth to the throat. Then we drop the elbow to the SP, bending them forward, where we wrap the head up similar to a guillotine choke, then step back, grabbing the chin and pulling it up and around while slapping downward with the left hand to the bladder meridian (between the spine and scapula).

9 sounds the same. I never thought of it as 6 with an extension, but it sure is :).

For 10, (we use ridgehand to groin) if the block and strike are in fact done at the same time, I don;t think you have to wrry about the left - at the time when your right hand is low, he is still punching with his right. by the time he is able to throw the left your right hand should be already circling around to strike the neck, the path of that strike should cover that zone.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
8,9,12,19,27 i teach as a "bubble" just a term which means they fit together. I show how they are all extensions of 6. And yes marlon, I am sure there are a million strategies and principles in there but the main one is combo 6 did not take the person out so we have to do more.
Jesse

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Marlon. I was never taught the wrist grab, that certainly does present options not available otherwise.

On Matts page Kempoinfo.com there is a video on 8 and how he talks about not holding the arm.. I was originally with a grab, but holding onto them after such a powerful kick did not work for me.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On Matts page Kempoinfo.com there is a video on 8 and how he talks about not holding the arm.. I was originally with a grab, but holding onto them after such a powerful kick did not work for me.
Yup, seems like I'd be too crowded for the RH if we didn't let the body react to the front kick.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
On my #8 after the front kick i put my foot down and set up for more of a Muay Thai wheel kick to the head. for #9. I do the double kick followed by a step behind side kick.. I remember when i first learned nine it was am outward knife hand block with the left, then the 2 kicks, switch hands so you are now holding with the right arm, raise attackers arm up and then almost a back kick to the floaters. I have also seen SGM Pesare do a kindof 9 in his video and in person where after the double kick you move towards 10 o'clock getting behind the person as they are being erected back up after the second kick and side kicking them in the back/kidneys.
Jesse

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never had a bear paw in 10, I do have it in 17 though. In 10 I was always taught the ridge hand to the groin followed by a willows palm to the ear. My bear paw is not just a slap though.. It strikes like the willows palm then digs into the ear holding onto it and tearing it with the takedown.
Jesse

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i block above the knee. the bent wrist is either coming up or is used in a swining motion without a hard stop so i do not see any issues with injury...by the way, keeping the bent wrist places your elbow in a very disadvatageous position for the attacker.

marlon

Ok..thanks for the clarification. :)

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, here goes, Marlon. This is a variation to our #16 ...

- Left foot steps towards 1030.
- Left hand parries across.
- Righthand leopard paw to the throat.
- Right hand wraps the neck and pulls down into a right knee strike.
- Pivot body clockwise to 0600, right arm staying in contact with inside of opponents right arm, sliding down to the wrist.
- Left forearm strike to elbow causing break or armbar at the least.
- Finish like #16, left leg steps over arm, may axe kick back of head on way to ground.
- Slight rotation counter clockwise to again break arm.
- Step out counter clockwise with right foot.
- Deliver right phoenix fist to base of skull.

... I hope that is understandable

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

the grab i use in 9. the kick moves the attackers center away from my center so i am not so crowded and if i rotate the attackers wristexternally then i have musculoskeletal manipulation so it kind of works for me. However, Matt and Jesse are my seniors in kempo so please remember that when taking my approach into consideration. i am seeking to learn

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the main one is combo 6 did not take the person out so we have to do more.
Jesse[/quote]

interesting..i was never taught it that way, but i understand your thinking here. The front kick did not end the attack so continue with something else. i look at it as though my intention with my kick was to do something different and follow up appropriately. i will re think things. I hope to get out to you guys sometime this summer and train with you.

respectfully,
marlon

Latest Discussions