SKK Combos and Various Attacks

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I also wrap the leg...my r/arm encirles their leg while my left hand presses into it...causing more pain to that nerve area...the intent is to cause them to respond to that pain (and not try and fight me while I turn them over).....After the wrap I drop my r/knee into femoral artery of their l/leg....

or their groin? Def. hit the nerve bundle where their gastroc. (calf) and soleus meet. Give a good tuck on that nerve and they lift their hips off the ground themselves -- JDokan you should check out the seminar I have coming up on Nov. 6th and 7th.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In 11, after the sweep I let the back of the hand that swept the leg stick to the inner ankle and the other hand shaped like a ridge hand makes contact near the small toe. I squeeze both hands to my chest. This applies pressure twisting the ankle.The knee drop to the groin facilitates this little intricay, but once prcticed it flows nicely. As I step across their body they move in no small part because of the pressure on the ankle. If they don't I can walk away because they won't be running after me any time soon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
"So what do people think about combination 4? I read through this entire forum the other day and I don't think it was mentioned. In general it's ridiculously brutal and I don't think expecting the person to fall down immediately after the downward roundhouse ball kick to the chest makes a whole lot of sense. "

When I was taught combination 4 I was told the twist stance was the what if. If the person doesn't fall down you can cross out or anything else you want, but it is there in case they don't fall down. The are different versions of the take down with the roundhouse kick. One version puts the roundhouse slightly below the throat and one of my students had the fun of being put through the air with application so he knew it worked. On the negative side I was told one of the Masters injured a student by kicking slightly too high and catching the throat with the roundhouse. This may be the reason that particular SK school tends to teach roundhouse to the heart for safety.

Another version has the body being constantly manipulated forward and backwards with block pull throw of the arm and roundhouse to face in that version. The changing of direction is supposed to be a major component in performing the takedown. Doesn't really matter if it doesn't take then down however since the changing of direction ends with the face coming forward into the roundhouse so the attempted takedown helps with injuring the attacker even if you don't pull it off well enough for the takedown.

There have been a couple of tips over the years about the jump. When you strike the groin some SK/SKK people hit with just the ball of the foot and slide off to the ground after the strike. Theory being if you do the jump right off their groin they get wobbly with your weight on their groin. The person who taught me that found out the hard way that people move when you step on them.

Also one of the Masters was told by the late Professor Cerio that the ankles will break if you try splitting the face as taught from the jump. I have wondered for awhile if turning the feet outward and using the heel portion of your feet landing on the face would be better for landing on the face and peeling the face as I was taught.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummmm.............

SKK Combo 4, first the person is not going to fall down from a kick to the solar plexus. BUT, let's say you hit the liver with the kick or do knock the wind out of him and the attacker goes down. That's it! Self-Defense is over...get away! If you continue the rest of the attack, you will go to prison for a very long time for the damage you are causing to a helpless person (at this point).

Remember, the attack is against a punch, no weapon involved. You are good with the initial part of defending against the punch and offline to respond. The rest of it is just nonsense that will get you into big legal trouble. You jump and stomp on the attacker's face/head and then poke out both eyes and then kick his head/face again as you leave.

There isn't a scenario I can think of right off that the technique as shown is a tactically logical or legal response. Let's put in a knife into the mix for the sake of discussion so a lethal response would be legally justified in your response. You kick the attacker and then there is NO attempt to control the attacker's knife hand so the response doesn't make sense tactically. If you say that the attacker would "drop the knife" because of the kick, then you are not legally justified in the rest of the response because there is no threat of deadly force.

Let's assume it is a multiple attacker scenario that you are in fear of your life and chose a lethal response. The technique STILL does not make sense because you are taking WAY too much time on one attacker to disable them that you wouldn't be able to pull of that response because you would be pummeled by the rest.

If this was actually taught as a technique, the ONLY thing that keeps running through my mind is that it was a throwback to the "old days" when people did purposely hurt an attacker (think curb stomping) because he pissed you off and it has nothing to do with actual self-defense.

IMO, it looks like Combo 4 should have stopped after the kick and Prof. Cerio (or whoever added it) took a page out of Ed Parker's book on "extensions" and added in the rest of the moves on a downed attacker.

JKDJade

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ummmm.............

SKK Combo 4, first the person is not going to fall down from a kick to the solar plexus. BUT, let's say you hit the liver with the kick or do knock the wind out of him and the attacker goes down. That's it! Self-Defense is over...get away! If you continue the rest of the attack, you will go to prison for a very long time for the damage you are causing to a helpless person (at this point).

Remember, the attack is against a punch, no weapon involved. You are good with the initial part of defending against the punch and offline to respond. The rest of it is just nonsense that will get you into big legal trouble. You jump and stomp on the attacker's face/head and then poke out both eyes and then kick his head/face again as you leave.

There isn't a scenario I can think of right off that the technique as shown is a tactically logical or legal response. Let's put in a knife into the mix for the sake of discussion so a lethal response would be legally justified in your response. You kick the attacker and then there is NO attempt to control the attacker's knife hand so the response doesn't make sense tactically. If you say that the attacker would "drop the knife" because of the kick, then you are not legally justified in the rest of the response because there is no threat of deadly force.

Let's assume it is a multiple attacker scenario that you are in fear of your life and chose a lethal response. The technique STILL does not make sense because you are taking WAY too much time on one attacker to disable them that you wouldn't be able to pull of that response because you would be pummeled by the rest.

If this was actually taught as a technique, the ONLY thing that keeps running through my mind is that it was a throwback to the "old days" when people did purposely hurt an attacker (think curb stomping) because he pissed you off and it has nothing to do with actual self-defense.

IMO, it looks like Combo 4 should have stopped after the kick and Prof. Cerio (or whoever added it) took a page out of Ed Parker's book on "extensions" and added in the rest of the moves on a downed attacker.

Agreed...

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the back “down” concept instead of back up. Prof. teaches the initial block as almost a duck / slip with a small step back in-order to drop your height. Now this position allows better control of the attacker because the cw circular motion manipulates the shoulders not only preventing rotation for a second punch but also turns the attacker into the kick and not to mention opens the base of the skull as a target. Agree the rest is impractical. I use the dragon stance to teach catching ones wieght and balance after good follow through with the kick. And the ability / skill of generating power with speed to a second kick

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummmm.............

Two responses to this. The first is that I learned (and taught) the roundhouse kick from a couple different dojos as one to the face, and teaching it to the ribs/heart/liver/whatever was just to work your way up to the face. The second is that the purpose is to do something lethal in a multiple attacker scenario...but that the tech is an opportunity to practice it, when in reality you would only do one move. So rather than having multiple techniques to get you in a position where you practice two different eye pokes, and two different kicks/stomps, you just learn one technique with an ending where you can practice all of them.

Latest Discussions