SKK Combos and Various Attacks

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
the grab i use in 9. the kick moves the attackers center away from my center so i am not so crowded and if i rotate the attackers wristexternally then i have musculoskeletal manipulation so it kind of works for me. However, Matt and Jesse are my seniors in kempo so please remember that when taking my approach into consideration. i am seeking to learn

respectfully,
Marlon

On my site, the video he's referencing is of Jim Brassard, a 10th dan in his style of Shaolin American Kempo.

As far as me being your senior in Kempo, Marlon, let's not get carried away- I certainly remember our shodan test together (quite fondly!) - so I certainly think your thoughts on this carry at least the same weight mine do. I know you and I are always looking to learn something that will benefit our Kempo and our students. When we're old, (and hopefully before then) I'm sure we'll be looking back once again at the parallels in our journeys.

I actually don't grab in 9 based on the unbalancing issue, but if you can get the skeletal manipulation going on, then that's one way I might consider it. I tend to like to continue the attacker's movement as to allow a collision with the kick. On Professor Kimo's triple kick with parry ( an outside double parry with a front, round and side kick, what a coincidence!) the outside nature of the positioning makes me more likely to use the manipulation as it keeps me away from the other hand/ shoulder coming around.

p.s.
Master Dwire, this one really reminds me of combination #6...:btg:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:)

our parallels are very curious to me. I, also have fond memoories of the shodan test Matt. i have a great deal of respect for you and your focus and love of kempo and kempo history. I respectf Jesse as well..yet it is a fact you both out rank me and are at mastery level. My friend it would be good to train with you this summer , if we can work it out

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, here goes, Marlon. This is a variation to our #16 ...

- Left foot steps towards 1030.
- Left hand parries across.
- Righthand leopard paw to the throat.
- Right hand wraps the neck and pulls down into a right knee strike.
- Pivot body clockwise to 0600, right arm staying in contact with inside of opponents right arm, sliding down to the wrist.
- Left forearm strike to elbow causing break or armbar at the least.
- Finish like #16, left leg steps over arm, may axe kick back of head on way to ground.
- Slight rotation counter clockwise to again break arm.
- Step out counter clockwise with right foot.
- Deliver right phoenix fist to base of skull.

... I hope that is understandable

right hand leopard paw to the throat or neck...? cause i am thinking of the body reation to a leopard paw to the throat and i cannot see how the attacker would be close enough for the wrap..although i really like the strike sequence. thanks

respectfully,
Marlon

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
right hand leopard paw to the throat or neck...? cause i am thinking of the body reation to a leopard paw to the throat and i cannot see how the attacker would be close enough for the wrap..although i really like the strike sequence. thanks

respectfully,
Marlon

It's to the throat, a speed strike, not a power strike. I am right hip-to-right hip in this position, same position as combo 3. If a straight punch, I parry with my left off my right shoulder. The right comes up underneath and at a slight angle into the adams apple, then snakes over thier shoulder, around the right side of thier neck.

Hopefully that helps clarify the positioning.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which combo are we talking about currently? Just trying to keep up with the discussion. :)

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which combo are we talking about currently? Just trying to keep up with the discussion. :)

We are talking about #9. I personally do the wrist grab for the front and roundhouse and then grab the fore arm with my right, as well, to pull him into the side kick. Reasoning - both the front and the roundhouse are snapping here. I want to get his head moving forward with the front kick so that the snapping roundhouse whips his head back then grab with my right hand as well, pulling him into the side kick (lua principles). The other reason I want that attacking hand is that I work two different sequences of lock flow from there. B (breaking sequence) - bringing the arm over the left shoulder, turning away from the attacker for an elbow break on my shoulder, then over my right shoulder for the same break, then into a shoulder wrench (aikido type throw four directions I believe it is called). C (control sequence) - we step under the bridge pulling the arm into a 90 deg angle, then sliding the left arm through the bend of the elbow into a cradle (attackers hand is in your inside elbow and yours is through theirs) then with the right hand up to the phyltrum. Again these lock flows are not done as technique extensions but more of a vessel to teach the different lock flows.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We, too, use a grab on #9, however, our version "B" uses the two snapping kicks, they are a bit different in our version "A". We deliver the right front kick, we then return our right leg to the ground, its original position, and deliver a full roundhouse kick. After the round kick, our right leg crosses over the left. As our right foot hits the ground, our left hand still holding on, we deploy a right upward forearm strike to hyperextend, dislocate or break the opponents right elbow. Finish with a right side thrust kick to the ribs.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our #9 is a little shorter.

We do the same block/grab wit the left hand, and front ball kick to SP.
After the kick we return the right foot into a crossover (twist stance), then side thrust kick to floating ribs, while with our right hand we use a rising tiger mouth strike to the wrist, knocking their arm straigh upwards. This elongates and their right side making it more vulnerable to the kick.

That's all, 2 kicks. but I do like the idea of flowing into a lock flow, more fun for class :D :whip:

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our #9 is a little shorter.

We do the same block/grab wit the left hand, and front ball kick to SP.
After the kick we return the right foot into a crossover (twist stance), then side thrust kick to floating ribs, while with our right hand we use a rising tiger mouth strike to the wrist, knocking their arm straigh upwards. This elongates and their right side making it more vulnerable to the kick.

That's all, 2 kicks. but I do like the idea of flowing into a lock flow, more fun for class :D :whip:

At a previous school I attended (name withheld ... LOL), we used the tiger's mouth to raise the arm, but we still had the three kicks.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are talking about #9. I personally do the wrist grab for the front and roundhouse and then grab the fore arm with my right, as well, to pull him into the side kick. Reasoning - both the front and the roundhouse are snapping here. I want to get his head moving forward with the front kick so that the snapping roundhouse whips his head back then grab with my right hand as well, pulling him into the side kick (lua principles). The other reason I want that attacking hand is that I work two different sequences of lock flow from there. B (breaking sequence) - bringing the arm over the left shoulder, turning away from the attacker for an elbow break on my shoulder, then over my right shoulder for the same break, then into a shoulder wrench (aikido type throw four directions I believe it is called). C (control sequence) - we step under the bridge pulling the arm into a 90 deg angle, then sliding the left arm through the bend of the elbow into a cradle (attackers hand is in your inside elbow and yours is through theirs) then with the right hand up to the phyltrum. Again these lock flows are not done as technique extensions but more of a vessel to teach the different lock flows.

Ok, thanks. :) As for 9...you and I are performing this pretty much the same way. I feel that if you don't change to the right before the sidekick, you'll be in an awkward position.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. :) As for 9...you and I are performing this pretty much the same way. I feel that if you don't change to the right before the sidekick, you'll be in an awkward position.

i guess i can see how it might feel ackward, however i think of it as unbalancing the person with my weight and then having then fall into myon coming side thrust. With the right timing it feels like the kick in 3 kata. front ball back then side thrust then escape with the left leg and suddenly return a left side thrust. But without looking at the timing it does feel ackward. If the wrist grab is done as a msk manipulation then the step down into a dragon stance after the roundhouse could easily drop the attacker on thier back...then the kick is to a downed opponent and if it does not take them down then their motion to straighten up you use as added force for your kick that is in the same direction they are most likely moving.

ok i think we were at 11 when i hijacked this for 9...apologies

Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
11 is good if you can slip in close to the attacker's body anything from a punch to a grab to a standing clinch..it is a great takedown and more eeffective than a basic "tackle" if you rush someone.

respectfully,
marlon

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
11 is good if you can slip in close to the attacker's body anything from a punch to a grab to a standing clinch..it is a great takedown and more eeffective than a basic "tackle" if you rush someone.

respectfully,
marlon

Also very effective if you find yourself down on one or two knees as well!

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also very effective if you find yourself down on one or two knees as well!

I like it!! Might have to tie my shoe when some jrk tries to do me wrong, very nice.

I like 11 against a two handed push (ok attempted push as I do not train to get hit in the face with an attempted punch either). It flows nice, my left hand can block then check both of the attackers hands while I get into the technique.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like it!! Might have to tie my shoe when some jrk tries to do me wrong, very nice.

I like 11 against a two handed push (ok attempted push as I do not train to get hit in the face with an attempted punch either). It flows nice, my left hand can block then check both of the attackers hands while I get into the technique.

Nice, I can see that ...

Also, the take down, try it from one knee. Use your foot to hook behind thier leg and a forearm strike just above their knee to execute the takedown.

Our normal 11 is ...
- Parry block with left hand pinning them
- Right trigger finger to temple (we dont concern ourselves with the exact target here, could be eyesocket or orbital ... just hit)
- Left crosshand shuto to the neck/throat
- Left circles down to right heel of opponent
- Right forearm strike just above the knee as you lower your level
- Stand up, right kick to tailbone
- Turn clockwise, turning them over
- Various things can happen here
- Smash their knee into the ground
- Twist or break their ankle
- Pull leg back, drop knee on lower back
- Etc.
- Drop the leg and continue your turn clockwise
- Plant the right foot, thrust/vertical punch to the kidney area
- Right front heel kick to their right ribcage/kidney area
- Right axe kick to their left ribcage/kidney area
- May choose to right stomp on the back of the head here or just step out, cross and guard

Damn, it's easier to do this stuff than it is to write it up
icon12.gif

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also, the take down, try it from one knee. Use your foot to hook behind thier leg and a forearm strike just above their knee to execute the takedown.

Damn, it's easier to do this stuff than it is to write it up
icon12.gif

Isn't that the truth....

We have a technique similar to this done from a standing position called circling hook. The similarity is the right hand striking the top half while the left leg pulls the rug out underneath. Very cool.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth....

We have a technique similar to this done from a standing position called circling hook. The similarity is the right hand striking the top half while the left leg pulls the rug out underneath. Very cool.

Here is the technique, I bolded where I see the similarity. Good thing too becuase I found a typo in my write up. :)

CIRCLING HOOK - RIGHT FOOT STEPS BACK TO HALF MOON STANCE WITH LEFT KNIFE HAND BLOCK. EXECUTE RIGHT INVERTED CROSS KNIFE HAND TO UNDERSIDE OF ATTACKERS HAND, GRAB AND PULL TO RIGHT SIDE OF BODY (AS IF DOING A RIGHT DOWNWARD BLOCK) AND EXECUTE RIGHT FRONT KICK TO GROIN. RETURN KICK TO RIGHT HALF MOON STANCE AND EXECUTE LEFT LEG REAP AND RIGHT ROUNDHOUSE ELBOW TO FACE TAKING ATTACKER DOWN. FINISH WITH RIGHT FRONT KICK TO GROIN. CROSS AND COVER.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the technique, I bolded where I see the similarity. Good thing too becuase I found a typo in my write up. :)

CIRCLING HOOK - RIGHT FOOT STEPS BACK TO HALF MOON STANCE WITH LEFT KNIFE HAND BLOCK. EXECUTE RIGHT INVERTED CROSS KNIFE HAND TO UNDERSIDE OF ATTACKERS HAND, GRAB AND PULL TO RIGHT SIDE OF BODY (AS IF DOING A RIGHT DOWNWARD BLOCK) AND EXECUTE RIGHT FRONT KICK TO GROIN. RETURN KICK TO RIGHT HALF MOON STANCE AND EXECUTE LEFT LEG REAP AND RIGHT ROUNDHOUSE ELBOW TO FACE TAKING ATTACKER DOWN. FINISH WITH RIGHT FRONT KICK TO GROIN. CROSS AND COVER.

Yes, very similar technique, done at a different level, of course. Thanks for sharing, I have done a similar, upright leg reap before, we call it 'Deadly Dance'

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What number are we on, 12?

As stated before, this is an extension of #6. Standard version ...

- Left front kick to stop the momentum.
- Right spinning back kick to send them away.

This technique will work against just about any empty hand attack where you have enough time to get the first kick in. Some adjustments can be made dependent upon the attack and your counter. We use the step down after the front kick as a guage step. In other words, I can move forward, stay in place, move to one side or the other, or even backwards ... whatever the need for the situation.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What number are we on, 12?

As stated before, this is an extension of #6. Standard version ...

- Left front kick to stop the momentum.
- Right spinning back kick to send them away.

This technique will work against just about any empty hand attack where you have enough time to get the first kick in. Some adjustments can be made dependent upon the attack and your counter. We use the step down after the front kick as a guage step. In other words, I can move forward, stay in place, move to one side or the other, or even backwards ... whatever the need for the situation.

Yeah 12 is pretty cut and dry in my book to.

Now, 13.....some people have issue with belt techniques I personally like them. Not to say you are going to whip your belt off (if you are even wearing one) but at a gym or pool side you will have a towel.....camping at a camp ground you will probably have some rope. These are not crazy ideas. Along with the standard #13 I have a couple similar belt techniques I teach along with it.

Latest Discussions