Single leg hopping

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't train single leg hopping. We may have done it once or twice in class as a warm up but it's not something we train. I use other stance and footwork training that's a little more suitable for the movements in Jow Ga Kung Fu.
a million years ago when i dif jow ga, the instructor was very big on hopping, he said it helped the jump kick amongst other things, he would have us hopping round and round the gym, then he would have me do it,again with a,250 lb guy on my back, that was just me who got to carry him, everyone else got,someone their own weight or less, i don't think he liked me for somexr
Not discounting it. Many of us skip rope for 30 minutes a day (skipping rope works more than the calves and ankles), do one leg & 2 leg explosion drills, on top of the other things I've stated. Is it something to do from time to time sure, ok, I get and drill my guys a lot on leg exercises as it is and most are multi aspect drills. That work skill as well as strength and flexibility.
For someone who doesn't do any other type exercises it is great.

If I had stairs in my home or office maybe I would do some extra stair hopping.

skipping is indeed hard, but as you say it works lots of things rather than hitting the calf muscle. If you watch someone,skipping at pace, you see that as much as jumping, they are lifting the leg over the rope, which hits the hamstrings, another much neglected muscle, but not the calf so much. This is why there are so many people with really skinny calfs, its near impossible to hit it hard other than hopping or walking on tip toes like a ballet dancer, and that is hard

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In wrestling, when you use your right leg to attack your opponent's left leg, if your opponent raises his left leg up, before he drops it back down, if you can hop, and use your right leg to attack his right leg, he will be down. Sometime you don't have the luxury to drop your leg back down.

One of my junior high school teacher died this year by falling down. IMO, single leg hopping ability can prevent you from those disaster during your old age.

I like to use my leg to sweep my other leg behind the ankle and force my rooting leg to slide on the ground. I believe this training can also enhance the "dynamic rooting".
I'm with you mate, I'm going to increase my hopping from this moment on,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to do single leg hops, double leg hops, skipping - all the time as part of movement and balance drills. And they were kind of fun.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a million years ago when i dif jow ga, the instructor was very big on hopping, he said it helped the jump kick amongst other things, he would have us hopping round and round the gym, then he would have me do it,again with a,250 lb guy on my back, that was just me who got to carry him, everyone else got,someone their own weight or less, i don't think he liked me for some reason, but by god i had strong legs
Where did you train Jow Ga? Do you remember who your Sifu was?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where did you train Jow Ga? Do you remember who your Sifu was?
it was in Bolton, a small town near Manchester England in the late 80s, he was called Chris????
that all i remember, he was very good, used to,stand on one leg, with the other up above head height for most of the lesson and he had a,really nice,sports car and,a very pretty wife

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to do single leg hops, double leg hops, skipping - all the time as part of movement and balance drills. And they were kind of fun.
We do train double leg hop

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it was in Bolton, a small town near Manchester England in the late 80s, he was called Chris????
that all i remember, he was very good, used to,stand on one leg, with the other up above head height for most of the lesson and he had a,really nice,sports car and,a very pretty wife
Definitely way before my time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely way before my time.
giving that up was one of many major regrets i have, i was really quite good, i was in my late 20s and as fit,as i could be, the training was brutal, but i got engaged, she came with me,a,couple of times then kept finding better things for me to do three night a week,

, then when i was fat and unfit, left me for someone thin and fit, funny things women!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
?? Isn't a,double leg hop a jump?
It's a jump, but it's not a single leg jump. We train the double leg jump because there are strikes and evasions that we do that require us to jump off both feet. The double leg hops for us are a coordination and balance issue and not so much a strength issue. We have a double leg jump where we jump as high as we can and land in the opposite stance when we land. If the right leg is the lead leg when we jump then the left will become the lead leg when we land.

We do the frog hops for warm ups but that's about it. The other jump that I described is the one we train and the one everyone hates.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never train hopping. I've never needed to. I guess I spent enough time on one leg playing soccer (football) growing up.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anybody skip? Not rope, skip like little kids skip?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anybody skip? Not rope, skip like little kids skip?
yes, I've got a whole bag of silly walks i do when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and no one is watching. They are great for conditioning I'm working on my goosestep at the moment, that's really hard going, i only do that,after dark

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, I've got a whole bag of silly walks i do when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and no one is watching. They are great for conditioning I'm working on my goosestep at the moment, that's really hard going, i only do that,after dark
I'm picturing a scary clown goose-stepping down the middle of the road at midnight.

Latest Discussions