Sine Wave Article - thoughts comfirmed!

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you see boxers punching like Karate people without flexing their knees to generate force and keeping their heads level? That's not what the Boxer in the video described, and it's not what the video describes.

AFAIAC most everyone like Boxer's do it. Bruce lee did it in the secret of the 1 and 3 inch punch. Thye just don't use the metaphor.

I've never seen a boxer bounce around like many TKD students are taught today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never seen a boxer bounce around like many TKD students are taught today.

Thats because today its severely exaggerated.

When done subtly, its more like dropping down slightly, then 'springing' forward, and only slightly up. Its kinda like how You bend your knees a bit before trying to jump for height+distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knee Spring has been around in ITF Taekwon-Do since the 1960's. In the first TKD Bible (1973?) it went into explaining knee spring in movement and raising and lowering the body when stationary. In the 1980's a new name was given to it, Sine Wave, to show the smooth movement of the practitioner. It wasn't until the late 1990's that the Down-Up-Down came into play. Why this came into play I don't know.
Taekwon!!
Mike

At the first IIC I attended - 1990 I observed general Choi as he taught the Sine wave motion. Although he said "up/down" there was a slight "Down " or relaxation before the initial "Up" . Ask anyone to "Jump Up" yo will see them initialy go down slightly. I flew a guy into my school to teach this because althoughi understood it he could do it better than I . He is gifted and able to assimilate technique from seemingly just watching, and without thinking. I noticed he did the initial dwn as well. I asked aboutit and first he said "No" but as he thought about it he understood what I meant and acknolwedged there was a slight don first. GM Sereff tells how he was traveling with General Choi in the early 1990's for numerous IICs in the east and being dof tired they were waiting on a train platform and Geenral choi was reviewing the motion with the hosts and he took note of the initital "Down". Subsequent to that time, I don't know exactly when but I saw it at the 1994 IIC Geral Choi was explaining it as down / up / down. The methodology was exactly the same. The explanation was refined. (Just to give a more accurate picture of the time line / methodology / explanations I experienced firsthand.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
""Haakon

I've never seen a boxer bounce around like many TKD students are taught today."

I bet you never saw a boxer pull the opposite hand to the hip when they punch either. Lots of stuff in patterns is exagerated. Some is for esthetics. Some perhaps for other reasons.

I was at RMCAT where they do a lot of adrenal stress training. The founder of RMCAT says "This is not a Martial Art."

Then they teach a self defense combo using exagerated motions and explain that under adrenal stress motions become smaller and truncated. By practicing large motions, when they become samller under adrenal stress they will retain more effectiveness than if smaller motions were learned or practiced. As he says this I am thinking "Patterns".​

Latest Discussions