Simultaneous strikes

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The question is do you really need to "seize the collar" in order to finish that take down? IMO, that collar seizing is not necessary. A simple neck push will be good enough to take your opponent down after you have picked his leading leg.

Of course not. It's a setup to finish.

The question is answered in the use of force spectrum. The applicant may be using this on a bandit who may have killed or injured someone already, and merely pushing him over isn't a viable option at this point. The goal or objective is to incapacitate his ability, perhaps even terminally.

While the gi is not common attire for westerners, the attire or clothing of the period would play a role in kata development.

Yes, a push would be an easier and earlier end to the exercise. As the opponent is on the ground, and the defender is standing. A good outcome, but it hasn't fully resolved the conflict. Some opponents may refuse to give up hostiles here, and simply stand up and continue to fight.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have issue with this head control. You use both hands to control your opponent's head while give him 2 free arms. His 2 free arms can do a lot of things on you.

Here is a simple math.

If you use

1. both arms to control my both arms, I will have 0 free arm.
2. one arm to control one of my arms, use another arm to control my head, I will have 1 free arm.
3. both arms to control my head, I will have 2 free arms.

IMO, 1 > 2 > 3.

While there is a great deal of truth in what you say...
I think that you are missing out on something here. If you leg pick someone you have compromised a lot of their posture and structure.

Starting in a clinch, subtract your lead leg as it is stuck in the pick. Now, you had both your hand in the clinch up.. they are now free to do things...

Please share with me, how you would go about your power generation for striking on one leg, and how powerful that is going to be while simultaneously, getting punched in the face.

It is pretty disconcerting.... because me and some boys have been playing with this position.
And there is a strong reflex to stop the face punching, and it's hard to mount an offence when your eating punches.

Especially, when it's coming like a left hook, out of the blindspot. It's a lots easier when the punch is still expected, but even, then Roger knocked another guy down because he put too much power into the punch. And it's worse because its a freebie, because both defending hands were in the clinch behind the head.

But back to your dislike of this head control....

You raised a few points against this head control from clinch.....
4.-Double-Collar-Tie-Knees.gif

What is Rich Doing? He has two free hands! By your argument.... He should be free to do a lot of other things with those two free hands. And he just lets Silva knee kick him three times, and drag him back away from the fence.

And yet we still see this two handed head control popping up alot.
Why?
Because it is powerful, because if left undefended it can lead to knock out knee strikes.

It is hard to defend your head and torso, regain posture and mount an offence when knees are constantly striking.

it is a staple of Muy Thai, Muy Boran and Okinawan Karate.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you leg pick someone you have compromised a lot of their posture and structure.
When someone gets you into a MT clinch and knee you, if you are a good wrestler and you can't grab his leg and take him down, you should get a rope, find a quite place, and hang yourself. :)

The single leg is a wrestler's bread and butter. If a MT guy's knee strike can't kill a wrestler. The wrestler's single leg should be able to take that MT guy down.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When someone gets you into a MT clinch and knee you, if you are a good wrestler and you can't grab his leg and take him down, you should get a rope, find a quite place, and hang yourself. :)

The single leg is a wrestler's bread and butter. If a MT guy's knee strike can't kill a wrestler. The wrestler's single leg should be able to take that MT guy down.

The question is how fast a knee strike can a wrestler catch, and how fast can the Striker return to starting/prechamber position?

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To quote Dirty Dog from another thread

"As with other things you've said, this mostly shows that you're still stuck in the 'techniques' stage, and haven't progressed to the principles yet.
This movement is a block. It's also a strike. It's also a grapple. It's also a release."

kata's are a practice of motion. The application is dictated by the situation.

As others have articulated, a simultaneous strike could be truly a strike, a push, a clinch, the beginning of a throw, a method to distract, obstruct vision, etc. this list goes on.

Kata practice is to put these movements into your muscle memory to be pulled out when required. Play with the principles in your sparring.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To quote Dirty Dog from another thread

"As with other things you've said, this mostly shows that you're still stuck in the 'techniques' stage, and haven't progressed to the principles yet.
This movement is a block. It's also a strike. It's also a grapple. It's also a release."

kata's are a practice of motion. The application is dictated by the situation.

As others have articulated, a simultaneous strike could be truly a strike, a push, a clinch, the beginning of a throw, a method to distract, obstruct vision, etc. this list goes on.

Kata practice is to put these movements into your muscle memory to be pulled out when required. Play with the principles in your sparring.

Yes, I've heard this before. Because it was directed at me. You may have seen in this thread and others that I get this.

However, I want to understand if there IS an application for two simultaneous strikes. Knowing the motion can be used for other things doesn't help me with this application.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Double kick technique
cap_kick.gif
is a good one. yes that is from a movie.... but this one isn't.
images.gif

While I am not the biggest fan of sacrifice throws or kicks, and their narrow opportunity windows.... they are impressive and dangerous.

and i believe that those sacrifice kicks are slightly more applicable than the dual target double kicks...
like these.
DSC_1090trim.jpg
double-kick-KB-Park.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions