Silat Variations

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread, there was discussion of Joe Simonet and his tapes. The discussion split off onto his Silat and his interpretations of it.

I'm starting this thread to discuss the various styles of Silat out there, as well as what people do differently or wrong.

I'll close by saying that I do not come from a Silat background, so my knowledge is limited to a few videos and Youtube clips I've seen. I do think that it is a rather interesting art, so I'd like to hear more about it.

Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread, there was discussion of Joe Simonet and his tapes. The discussion split off onto his Silat and his interpretations of it.

I'm starting this thread to discuss the various styles of Silat out there, as well as what people do differently or wrong.

I'll close by saying that I do not come from a Silat background, so my knowledge is limited to a few videos and Youtube clips I've seen. I do think that it is a rather interesting art, so I'd like to hear more about it.

Mike

That is a very broad subject.

There are about 1000 styles of Silat from Indonesia alone. Malaysia and the Philippines also have styles of Silat.

GM Edward Lebe once told me that there are four main reasons why people study Silat - for dance, culture, self-defense, or metaphysical (black magic) reasons.

In Indonesia, Silat predates Islam. There are some Muslims that believe that Muslims should be the only people that practice Silat. Some Muslims believe that the "benefits of Silat" (again nodding to the metaphysical) can only be realized by Muslims. Others believe that Silat should only be practiced by Muslims.

I personally do not wish not choose to train under folks that seek metaphysical realizations or attach specific spiritual values to the training.

Someone else may have different reasons and goals...that is their freedom and their choice. :asian:

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
GM Edward Lebe once told me that there are four main reasons why people study Silat - for dance, culture, self-defense, or metaphysical (black magic) reasons.
It appears as though I don't fall into one of the 'categories' -- I do it just for fun ;).

I personally do not wish not choose to train under folks that seek metaphysical realizations or attach specific spiritual values to the training.

I'm glad to see that there are more people who think the same ;)

However, about the styles... I don't really know much about the styles, but I seem to recall that some differences between styles could be caused by the... soil. Some styles have much low stances because the ground was very slippery, other styles tend to favor high stances because the soil there was firmer etc.
Also, there can be differences regarding the weapons, but I don't know whether there are real differences in the techniques? I know that the harimau style has more 'ground work'..

I'd also like to hear more about the styles ;).

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I'm not a Silat player then. I do it because I enjoy it and think that Guru Plinck is the best martial arts teacher I could find in the area.

The whole metaphysical/magical thing is a separate issue which earned me the Cynical Curmudgeon badge of honor. Certainly I've gotten a few insights and good mental habits etc. from Silat Sera, but those come from following any worthwhile discipline that involves the body, the mind and the emotions on a deep level. It could have been carpentry, modern dance or bow hunting. And frankly, I grew up in North America. My emotional substructure is not the same as an Indonesians. I wasn't raised with the same stories and symbols and grew up hearing a different set of myths and superstitions. Trying to wedge Javanese traditional beliefs in would be a poor fit in any case.

People do Silat for the same reasons they do any martial art. There are probably as many reasons as there are practitioners. The reasons change over a person's life. That's as true in Bandung as in Boston.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess I'm not a Silat player then. I do it because I enjoy it and think that Guru Plinck is the best martial arts teacher I could find in the area.
Weren't those 'reasons' for doing Silat the four aspects of Silat itself, then?

I seem to recall something about culture & dance aspects (seni) and the self-defence aspect (bela diri)...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weren't those 'reasons' for doing Silat the four aspects of Silat itself, then?

I seem to recall something about culture & dance aspects (seni) and the self-defence aspect (bela diri)...

Probably a good way of putting it, especially as English is not GM Lebe's first language.

I never heard him say "You are ONLY a Silat plyer if..." :D

The fellow is in his 60s and in great shape. It clear to me from the gleam in his eyes and excitement in his voice, that he did Silat because he loves it too. ;)

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score

Mike

Hmm, that is a great question, but the problem is that there are so many different styles and diverse systems of silat that often the students and practitioners themselves disagree on what is good silat or not good silat. Further, kun tao has co-mingled with silat so much over the centuries that it is often difficult to separate that out as well. For example, Mustika Kwitang is known as a silat style, but someone with an experienced eye will observe that the significant majority of the movements are of kun tao origin that contain a silat influence. Different schools of silat in the same system even disagree about many things, but most of the experienced practitioners can identify properly performed silat in their system (or even outside it) while they may argue about the technical refinements, unless they have some biases that color their perceptions making them unable to think objectively.

I do hope this helped.

Simon42

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing Silat now for 6 months now it is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in a physical sense,it is also the most rewarding complete fighting system I have found.From the tiger to the turtle,the cat and not forgetting the crocodile.We are now turning more toward the satria fighting arts which complement my muay thai so well. Silat has helped make me a more complete fighter and certainly a lot,lot fitter. Believe me I am not pretending to be an expert and there is room for all styles in this world,this is just my personal experience and the fact that I have found what I was looking for in a fighting system and a terrific instructor.Even if he does train us hard :cool: .

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lemme guess, Simon. You're one of Steve Benitez' people :)

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi , i am kinda new here but i am a silat practitioner, as it stand there a lot of variations in silat. as in kung fu is a general term so is silat. i don't know much about silat out of my own country( malaysia) but here the bigger organizations do accept on non muslim. i think gayung and lincah do accept non muslim.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, that is a great question, but the problem is that there are so many different styles and diverse systems of silat that often the students and practitioners themselves disagree on what is good silat or not good silat. Further, kun tao has co-mingled with silat so much over the centuries that it is often difficult to separate that out as well. For example, Mustika Kwitang is known as a silat style, but someone with an experienced eye will observe that the significant majority of the movements are of kun tao origin that contain a silat influence. Different schools of silat in the same system even disagree about many things, but most of the experienced practitioners can identify properly performed silat in their system (or even outside it) while they may argue about the technical refinements, unless they have some biases that color their perceptions making them unable to think objectively.

I do hope this helped.

You know, this post has the potential to be tremendously confusing.

And yet, it is a very accurate description of how Silat relates to Silat.

Good Post :)

& I agree. Kuntao adapted to Silat just as Silat adapted to Kuntao, and there was some some cross-pollenization, so to speak.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I must admit it is a bit confusing, but the most forthright thing I could say about it. I was hoping the post and explanation reflected reality a bit, and if it's a bit confusing it may after all.

I'm glad you understood it at least.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the book "The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia" by Donn F. Draeger. It contains an in depth look at many different styles of silat from all across Indonesia.

You have to hand it to Don Draeger that he really did do a pretty good book for that time frame. Still stands up pretty well!
icon14.gif

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Mike

How do you propose to discuss "what people do differently or wrong" in the various styles of Silat if you don't practice Silat? Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong...

Latest Discussions