Shuri-te

N

nbcdecon

I am currently studing the Shuri-te id there any body else that studys this system. The system is very much like Muay thai because of the shin kicks and use of the use of the knees and elbows.
I have to see if their are other players out there.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You will find, if you get in touch with enough people, that it is commonly held that Shuri-te never left Okinawa, and was incorporated into other styles of karate so much so that it ceased to be "Shuri-te" at all...

Shuri-ryu has a well known history, easily found via internet search.

If what I remember from studying with Onozaki-sensei is correct, his Shuri-te Ha Karate-do is his own combination of Shotokan, Kyokushin, and some other skills. I am not sure that it is Shuri-te in its proper context.

Best bet - talk to him about its background. He could likely point you toward his students that have since left Japan...

Gambarimasu!

:samurai: :tank:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Mr. Stone is correct.

The only place that Shuri te, Naha te, and Tomari te actually existed was in the minds of the people that decided they needed a niche to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. People say they are different because of the geographical locations in Okinawa........go to Okinawa and go to Naha...........walk around a bit and you will find yourself in Shurei and won't even know you left Naha.

For all intents and purposes their is not much of (if any) or very little difference between Shuri te, Naha te, and Tomari te. People will say "well Goju and Uechi are not like Shorin Ryu" etc...........and that is true............but Goju and Uechi are not, but then again they just came over from China a little more than 100 years ago.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
During the time I lived on Okinawa, late 1959 - mid-1962, you could actually go from Naha to Shurei or to Naminuie and know when you left one and entered the other. From what people tell me it is all one huge city now.

I practiced at Nagamine's dojo that was on the way from Naha AB to downtown Naha and I think it was in Shurei. Could be wrong since it has been a long time. Also, I joined Miyazato's Gojuryu dojo before leaving Okinawa. He was also the President of the Okinawan Judo Federation. That is how I met him and he was my Judo sensei at the Naha Police Dojo whenever I worked out there.

The history of Okinawa is interesting and I don't think any one person has the right story yet.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Yes it has changed a bit. There is basically one big city now.
However, the island is only about 7 miles wide and 60 miles long.....everything is not very far from one place to another.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We used run from the dojo to downtown Naha and back during new year, bare feet! I guess being just out of my teens made me foolish :) We also did some running elsewhere near the beach in Namanouie (SP?) and you could actually see the separation from one place to the other.

I spent two years there and it was a great time in my life. It seems like I was here to practice Judo, and karate at times, then had a part time job in the Air Force :D The Good Old Days! When I was young. Now retired and trying to live the good life :confused:

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you now on Okinawa? I was just visiting my son, a Naval Officer at Atsugi NAF, Japan, in March and was invited to fly down there with some astronomers for a meeting. One of the astronomers was a Judo and Akido student, retired as I am, after many years of practice. It would have been fun to see the "Rock" again. I grew up there :) (was 19 years old when I arrived there and left at least 40 in spirit) :D

OP
R

RyuShiKan

No, I live close to Yokosuka now. About 10 miles from the base.
I have been to Atsugi and Zama several times.
I go to Okinawa about once or twice a year for relaxation. The folks in Okinawa are a lot more friendly than the folks in Japan. It is kind of a home away from home for me.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My son has been going to school down at Yokosuka for several weeks. We didn’t get down there during our visit with him the last three weeks on March. We did go to the park on Camp Zama though with our three grandchildren. Tired us out!

The friendlier folks in Okinawa is a true statement. Of course, when I was there they were very friendly and had not experienced all the fuzz with Japan taking over and the ugly American stuff I hear about. In 1959 we had a great relationship with them and seemed to get along well. We Judo players would visit a lot of dojos around the island and made lost of friends. They didn’t seem to be so hyped up over international competition then so the commercial aspect was less so than what I have been told about the place now. We would nearly kill each other on the tatami, but drink beer afterwards as friends. The karate people were a nice lot as well. It was a fun time for me then. Time flies by too fast though.

My son practices Judo at times near Atsugi with a sensei named "Rocky."

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I have noticed a big difference in the Budoka in japan and Okinawa.
The ones in Okinawa are there to train hard, beat the living hell out of each other, and then pound down goodly amounts of beer and Awamori afterwards with each other.
On the mainland I am sorry to say it is not always that way.......a lot of times it is a "pecker contest" with them and seem to have something to "prove".

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

For all intents and purposes their is not much of (if any) or very little difference between Shuri te, Naha te, and Tomari te. People will say "well Goju and Uechi are not like Shorin Ryu" etc...........and that is true............but Goju and Uechi are not, but then again they just came over from China a little more than 100 years ago.

I've always felt there was less difference between those odler Okinawan styles than I was told--it's good to hear that someone agress with me as I was feeling rather alone.

As to the newer styles, Uechi-ryu really is in a category of its own--it's literal kung fu, augmented by the son with additional newly-created kata after the death of the father. At least Goju-ryu shows the effects of other Okinawan systems.

OP
C

Chiduce

Mr. Stone is correct.

The only place that Shuri te, Naha te, and Tomari te actually existed was in the minds of the people that decided they needed a niche to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. People say they are different because of the geographical locations in Okinawa........go to Okinawa and go to Naha...........walk around a bit and you will find yourself in Shurei and won't even know you left Naha.

:I would say that it depends on the actual style of shorin-ryu. Matsubayashi, Shobayashi, Kobayashi, or Matsumura Seito. I know that matsurmura seito is very different from goju and uechi ryu. They also have their versions of the hakutsuru. Yet, matsumura seito is the only shorin-ryu system where the hakutsuru or white crane system was passed down to each family member in secret! I'am from the matsumura seito clan of the mid eighties and the differences then were very visible. Now matsumura orthodox is not widely recognized due to the secretive nature of the system's practitioner's which carry on the tradition of Soken Sensei. For more info on the kung fu side of the white crane fist system, go to http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken My butokutsuru ryu kenpojutsu has similarities here. Great Site! :asian: Ami Tou Fou! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Chiduce

Yet, matsumura seito is the only shorin-ryu system where the hakutsuru or white crane system was passed down to each family member in secret!

No it wasn't. See below.

I'am from the matsumura seito clan of the mid eighties and the differences then were very visible. Now matsumura orthodox is not widely recognized due to the secretive nature of the system's practitioner's which carry on the tradition of Soken Sensei.

For being part of their "clan" you sure are lacking on some of the basic information on the style.
Now matsumura orthodox is not "widely recognized" due to all the muck Kise Fusei & Seiki Arakaki stirred up. That is a different thread and none of my business.

For being such a "secret style" oddly enough Chotoku Kyan learned Sesan, Naihanchi and Gojushiho from Matsumura Sokon, Soken's grandfather.
In fact Soken's grandfather, Matsumura Sokon, studied from Tode Sakugawa, Ason, and Iwah not from a Matsumura.
Matsumura Sokon was the founder of his Matsumura style and he taught, Sakihara peichin, Kiyuna, Chotoku Kyan, Hanashiro Chomo, Nabe Matsumura (his own son) Ryosei Kuwae, Anko Asato, Anko Itosu, Kentsu Yabu, Ishimine Peichin.............just to name a few that were in the "secret system" that was taught "only to family."
I fail to see where and how it was only taught to family members, in fact Matsumura Soken would have only been the 3rd generation.

This is exactly how come karate has so much controversy in it.
Someone doesn't check their facts and just repeats the same BS they were told and sooner or later when enough people hear it and repeat it then it becomes "fact".
Do your homework.

OP
C

Chiduce

You seem to see the shorin-ryu from a different side! What about nabe matsumura and hohan soken. The hakutsuru which they were taught was different. Nabe made hohan practice on a board floating in the water, it is said. Just as the gojushiho kata not only carries the name Fifty Four Steps among the other shorin-ryu styles. The matsumura seito kata carries the name fifty four steps of the black tiger. The kata are similar but not exactly the same. Elements of black tiger kung fu was added to the matsumura kata. You say that you know what i know and yet you do not mention the differences. So, if you want to talk matsumura, talk nabe matsumura and hohan soken. Your clarity here is a little misaligned. Just because the other masters learned those kata versions from matsumura; it does not mean that they learned the family white crane system. Like i said before, that hakutsuru system was passed down only to family members. Check the lineage. None of the other masters are on the tree line from bushi to hohan soken. After hohan soken the tree expands. In the eighties seiki arakaki and fusei kise (still is) and (ronald lindsey(was up and coming)) were the ranking leaders and kuda had matsumura kenpo (still does)! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is exactly how come karate has so much controversy in it.
Someone doesn't check their facts and just repeats the same BS they were told and sooner or later when enough people hear it and repeat it then it becomes "fact".
Do your homework.

In this particular case there may be enough documentation to allow that--I don't know--and there is more documentation available than people generally realize. For many of the historical issues in karate it seems that legend is all there is to go on, however, and repeating what one's instructor has said is the only alternative to saying nothing. Which then is preferable?

To put it another way, I think the admonition to do one's homework must be qualified by the fact that that often isn't feasible in this arena.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

You seem to see the shorin-ryu from a different side! What about nabe matsumura and hohan soken.

:eek:
A different side uh......you seem to be the one with all your facts screwed up.
What about Nabe Matsumura and Hohan Soken?
Nabe Matsumura was Sokon Matsumura's Grandson, Nabe Matsumura was Soken's uncle.....................and your point is................. :rolleyes:

The hakutsuru which they were taught was different. Nabe made hohan practice on a board floating in the water, it is said.

He was not "made to" he chose to do it himself.

You say that you know what i know and yet you do not mention the differences.

You've lost me I have no idea what the hell you are going on about..............

Check the lineage.

I think you are the one that should reading up on things since you jumble things around.

None of the other masters are on the tree line from bushi to hohan soken.

:rofl: What the heck are you lookin' at? Because I am looking at several different books and they are all pretty similar to what I have posted.

All of the people I mentioned previously were actually senior to Soken.............
You should also know that Soken also trained with Gokenki, who just by chance teaches.......... hakatsuru.

From now on do your own research. Most of what you are talking about you can look up in any number of decent martial arts historical texts to find out if it correct or not.

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jusr basing it on my foggy memory I would say there is a big difference between Matsubayashi and goju-ryu. I practiced both while there and noticed that the two were very different, not so much in kata but in methods. But, it has been a long time sicne I was there in 1962 and brain cells have a way of going away.

OP
C

Chiduce

:rofl: What the heck are you lookin' at? Because I am looking at several different books and they are all pretty similar to what I have posted.

All of the people I mentioned previously were actually senior to Soken.............
You should also know that Soken also trained with Gokenki, who just by chance teaches.......... hakatsuru.

From now on do your own research. Most of what you are talking about you can look up in any number of decent martial arts historical texts to find out if it correct or not.
There you go again dude! My information is in fact fact! I do not care about the masters or seniors before bushi matsumura! I'am only talking about the lineage of the family white crane system from bushi to nabe to hohan soken to arakaki to kise to kuda etc. " The purest teachings, according to hohan soken (1889-1982) was carried on by nabe matsumura (1860=1930). He ( hohan soken) received training in the Family Style of matsumura shorin-ryu which also included the "Secret Techniques Of The White Crane". The white crane system was reputed to be a secret family style that was only taught to immediate family members. Hohan Soken trained 10 years in the basics before learning the techniques of the hakutsuru. He was 23 yrs. old at this time. According to soken, this was a secret family technique or training methodology which was confined to the matsumura family. The hakutsuru kata which was erroneously referred to as the "White Swan Technique" is The Advanced Level Of Matsumura Shorin-Ryu". Now, Gokenki style was Hakutsuru Kenpo or (white crane fist) which was a different white crane system than the family style of matsumura. Sure there would be similarities; yet not that many. Gokenki kept the chinese version while hohan soken was taught the okinawan version. You have to remember also that the temple that bushi studied in was an okinawan temple in china. Gokenki was from the Fukien china coast. So, it would be safe to assume that Gokenki learned in the chinese temple at fukien. So, if there would be any modern day mixing of the chinese kenpo aspects of the okinawan matsumura family white crane system, it would be after hohan soken took over the system, not before! Yet, Kuda, in carrying on the matsumura tradition founded matsumura kenpo to keep the original family white crane system of 18 kata and the hakutsuru kata alive from soken sensei. This would again keep the system in it's purest form. I do not exactly know now if it is still true, but from the mid-80's; you had to be a matsumura shorin-ryu practitioner in order to study matsumura kenpo. Again, the kenpo system was confined to the clan members only! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

.......... You have to remember also that the temple that bushi studied in was an okinawan temple in china. ........

Good God where do you get this drivel?
Sorry dude but you ramble too much in your posts for me to actually take your seriously.