Rohai: from Matsumora(Tomari-te) or Matsumura(Shuri-te)?

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was always taught that the Rohai kata emerged from Tomari, and later transmitted to Shuri through Itosu, who had learned it, and created the Rohai Sho Dan, Ni Dan and San Dan based on his study of the original(as Itosu did with most the kata he learned). Lately I've looked at the Shitokai, as well as some other styles refer to the kata as Matsumura Rohai, or Matsumura no Rohai.

http://shitokai.com/movies/matsumurarohai.php

http://home.swbell.net/rianardj/shorin.html

Plus you can search "Matsumura Rohai" and see many more links ome up for it.

Which is the real correct name? In my honest opinion, I say it is known by the name Matsumora no Rohai, or by Tomari no Rohai. Let me see what everyone else says....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matsumora no Rohai is what I have always been told. Guess it is up to the teacher who tought you.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always understood it to be Matsumora as well, named for Kosaku Matsumora (1829–1898), a different person entirely from Sokon 'Bushi' Matsumura (1798–1890) who was famous as the security chief of Shuri Castle during the reign of the last king of Okinawa, and who is often identified as the primary figure in the creation of linear karate. See here for a (possibly somewhat apochryphal!) biography of Kosaku M; I'd always understood that Rohai was associated with the latter karateka, who taught both Choki Motobu and Chotoku Kyan. The spelling with 'u' may reflect people assuming that there was only one major 19th c. karate master with a name like that, and so misidentifying Rohai in favor of the more famous of the two...

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The kata in question is Matsumora Rohai. There is also an Itosu Rohai, which is significantly different but recognizably a similar kata.

shoshinkan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rohai is from Tomari Te I believe, however it is Shorin Ryu in reality.

Our system doesn't accredit the kata to Matusmura O'Sensei, but it is taught as part of Seito Matsumura in the main.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Matsubayashi ryu it was just called Rohai. Later when I came in contact with Shito ryu people it was called Matsumora rohai.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Matsubayashi ryu it was just called Rohai. Later when I came in contact with Shito ryu people it was called Matsumora rohai.

That is because there are two distinct versions and a couple of alternate versions. But, the two main Rohai are Itosu Rohai and Matsumora Rohai. The Matsubayashi version is usually Matsumora; Shito ryu do both, but I most often see the Itosu version. Our branch of Shito, Motobu ha, does the Matsumora version.

OP
Muwubu16858

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought. The reason for bringing this up was because in a recent book by the Shitokai, which I bought from http://www.karatedo.co.jp/champ/e_books/e_book.html, they had the Kanji for Bushi Matsumura instead of Matsumora. Is it maybe the newer generations in charge of these styles never learned the kanji for the forms and slipped on pronounciation? I don't know.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it maybe the newer generations in charge of these styles never learned the kanji for the forms and slipped on pronounciation? I don't know.

Actually the kanji for kata names are a later addition. Originally, if they were written at all, my understanding is that they would use hiragana. Some styles actually still use (at least mainly) hiragana in the kata names. When karate went to mainland Japan they started using the kanji. That's at least how I've understood it, but of course I could be wrong

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since there are all these Rohai-knowledgable folks in this discussion, can I ask a question about the form itself without seeming to be going too off-topic?

I was taught a version of the kata which resembles the on shown in the earlier link posted, but is a bit more elaborate. It involves all kinds of crane/heron-like movements; e.g., at the point in the video where the karateka walks three steps towards the camera, my version involves—after the downard knifehand and punch to the (proper) left—a kind of slow rotation of the punchng hand, now held in a kind of beak shape, approximately 120º or so over to the right (with the performer in a kind of crouching cat stance), at which point you stand straight, bring your rear leg forward a step so that it's now right beside your lead leg, bring the hands to the side, bow slightly and take three running steps off-line (at the same angle that you wound up in at the conclusion of that lead-up rotation). At the end of the run, your right leg is in the lead: you bow low at the waist, arms spread out and both hands in a 'beak' shape, tip over to the right side, with the left arm going high and the right correspondingly low, and only then do you do that leaping movement back onto the left left with the left arm raised in 'high block' configuration and the right arm sweeping down. And there are similar elaborations elsewhere. Compared with the version I know, the video Rohai shown is distinctly stripped down. Does anyone recognize this version I've (partially) described... does it ring any bells? And if so, can you tell me which version it is?

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since there are all these Rohai-knowledgable folks in this discussion, can I ask a question about the form itself without seeming to be going too off-topic?

I was taught a version of the kata which resembles the on shown in the earlier link posted, but is a bit more elaborate. It involves all kinds of crane/heron-like movements; e.g., at the point in the video where the karateka walks three steps towards the camera, my version involves—after the downard knifehand and punch to the (proper) left—a kind of slow rotation of the punchng hand, now held in a kind of beak shape, approximately 120º or so over to the right (with the performer in a kind of crouching cat stance), at which point you stand straight, bring your rear leg forward a step so that it's now right beside your lead leg, bring the hands to the side, bow slightly and take three running steps off-line (at the same angle that you wound up in at the conclusion of that lead-up rotation). At the end of the run, your right leg is in the lead: you bow low at the waist, arms spread out and both hands in a 'beak' shape, tip over to the right side, with the left arm going high and the right correspondingly low, and only then do you do that leaping movement back onto the left left with the left arm raised in 'high block' configuration and the right arm sweeping down. And there are similar elaborations elsewhere. Compared with the version I know, the video Rohai shown is distinctly stripped down. Does anyone recognize this version I've (partially) described... does it ring any bells? And if so, can you tell me which version it is?

There is no traditional Rohai that fits that description. Sounds like somebody's home-cooking. TKD has messed with the traditional kata considerably, and self-styled, 3-bong hit Itosu's spring up in America every day.

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score

I've never seen anything like that. I would like to, though, could you make a video of it and show us? I don't doubt that karate kata are "stripped down", in general, compared to the Chinese forms that may have inspired or influenced them (which mostly don't exist any more, in the case of shuri and tomari kata).
The version of rohai I know and practice is the matsubayashi version, which is said to be from tomari.

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I don't know anything about it.... did it look like this form, Exile?

Ran across this gentleman's videos when looking for some Chinto vids, and his Chinto has more elaborate movements than the one I learned... by chance, he has a Rohai video also.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no traditional Rohai that fits that description. Sounds like somebody's home-cooking. TKD has messed with the traditional kata considerably, and self-styled, 3-bong hit Itosu's spring up in America every day.

A couple of thoughts here:

(i) my TKD lineage is very closely associated with Shotokan (Song Moo Kwan is an almost word-for word translation of Shotokan; Byung Jik Ro, the lineage founder, was a fourth dan under GF, and was very strict about the technical content of the SMK curriculum); and

(ii) while it's true that TKD forms have, as you say, altered karate kate significantly, almost always the direction of modification has been to strip down the form (or recombine subsquences), rather than make the form more elaborate. The Rohai version I do has always struck me as much more like a Chinese form than anything else... and Korean modifications of kata don't usually come out looking like that.

Lemme see some of the links that people have suggested here....

While I don't know anything about it.... did it look like this form, Exile?

Ran across this gentleman's videos when looking for some Chinto vids, and his Chinto has more elaborate movements than the one I learned... by chance, he has a Rohai video also.

ESY, I'm eternally in your debt... that's exactly the version we do. Brilliant!! I am so happy! :) I've looked at a dozen or more vids of the form and never seen anything close...

So please folks, can you take a look at the video that ESY linked to and tell me if you recognize what species of Rohai this one is? I'm interested in lineage, and sources... I'm making no value judgments about these forms, clearly, but I'm very curious, in terms of historical questions, about just which Rohai this is that got picked up and included in the SMK curriculum...

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's not any Okinawan version that I've seen, and it's not even close to the shotokan version. It's closer to the Okinawan tomari rohai, because it has the one legged stance, and the embusen goes in the same direction, a step to the right, then back left, then 45 degrees right and left, then back to the center. It's defintely changed, though, some techniques are obviously performed in tae kwon do manner, and there are some extra punches and kicks in there. A couple things look like extra crane style moves added on, like the double strike out at the beinning, and the double beak move.
I think it's definately derived from the tomari/Mastsumora kata, not the Itosu or shotokan version. It's differences come from the tae kwon do influence, and in my opinion, someone's attempt to accentuate it's identity as a "crane" kata by adding a couple stereotypical Chinese crane movements.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts here:

(i) my TKD lineage is very closely associated with Shotokan (Song Moo Kwan is an almost word-for word translation of Shotokan; Byung Jik Ro, the lineage founder, was a fourth dan under GF, and was very strict about the technical content of the SMK curriculum); and

(ii) while it's true that TKD forms have, as you say, altered karate kate significantly, almost always the direction of modification has been to strip down the form (or recombine subsquences), rather than make the form more elaborate. The Rohai version I do has always struck me as much more like a Chinese form than anything else... and Korean modifications of kata don't usually come out looking like that.

Lemme see some of the links that people have suggested here....

ESY, I'm eternally in your debt... that's exactly the version we do. Brilliant!! I am so happy! :) I've looked at a dozen or more vids of the form and never seen anything close...

So please folks, can you take a look at the video that ESY linked to and tell me if you recognize what species of Rohai this one is? I'm interested in lineage, and sources... I'm making no value judgments about these forms, clearly, but I'm very curious, in terms of historical questions, about just which Rohai this is that got picked up and included in the SMK curriculum...

Pardon me, but that is simply awful stuff. It is a highly bastardized version of the kata, hardly recognizable at all to anyone familiar with the original kata. Also, the performance of the kata is bad. This is why Okinawan traditionalists get disgusted with Shotokan, TKD, etc. These people "borrow" a kata, screw it up completely, then act like they are doing the same thing we are. Sorry. End rant. PS The sword "form" he does in the other vid...that is awful, too. It is made up crap. He doesn't know how to hold the sword, chops instead of cuts, and misleads the public into thinking that is swordsmanship.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not any Okinawan version that I've seen, and it's not even close to the shotokan version. It's closer to the Okinawan tomari rohai, because it has the one legged stance, and the embusen goes in the same direction, a step to the right, then back left, then 45 degrees right and left, then back to the center. It's defintely changed, though, some techniques are obviously performed in tae kwon do manner, and there are some extra punches and kicks in there. A couple things look like extra crane style moves added on, like the double strike out at the beinning, and the double beak move.
I think it's definately derived from the tomari/Mastsumora kata, not the Itosu or shotokan version. It's differences come from the tae kwon do influence, and in my opinion, someone's attempt to accentuate it's identity as a "crane" kata by adding a couple stereotypical Chinese crane movements.

Pardon me, but that is simply awful stuff. It is a highly bastardized version of the kata, hardly recognizable at all to anyone familiar with the original kata. Also, the performance of the kata is bad. This is why Okinawan traditionalists get disgusted with Shotokan, TKD, etc. These people "borrow" a kata, screw it up completely, then act like they are doing the same thing we are. Sorry. End rant. PS The sword "form" he does in the other vid...that is awful, too. It is made up crap. He doesn't know how to hold the sword, chops instead of cuts, and misleads the public into thinking that is swordsmanship.

If any of you have seen my comments on the modifications of Empi which surface in the Eunbi hyung, you'll know that I'm no apologist for the modifications which TKD has often imposed on Okinawan forms. I'm just interested in reconstructing the history of this particular version and how it happened to appear in the SMK syllabus. Here's the point: I've no clue who this chap is, but the fact that he does a version of Rohai which is almost identical to the SMK version of Rohai suggests that there was a single source for this version (apart, that is, from the original Matsumora Okinawan source). What I'd really like to do is pin down that common source, which appears to have modified the Okinawan version considerably...

Latest Discussions