Show me some leg...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My single-leg sucks, so I thought I'd share some videos from someone who is actually good at them.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My single-leg sucks, so I thought I'd share some videos from someone who is actually good at them.
He has some very nice movements. I like that move to a hip toss. I need to see if I can adapt that to a couple of our techniques, as well. If not, it'll still be something to add for students who have the right foundation.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I looked for a video, did not see any good ones that demonstrate what I am about to describe.

Single-leg takedown - the only one in my toolbox.

Opponent brings roundhouse kick (mawashigeri) to middle body. I drop my arm, take hit while moving slightly away from the incoming blow to take the sting off. Wrap my arm up and trap leg in crook of elbow. Step towards opponent's middle, drop my center and take a high horse (seuinchin) stance, kick up and bring heel back on inside of opponent's remaining leg. I may punch his middle body as I apply the kick, to bring him down faster. I may also just keep stepping in while not letting go of his trapped leg; even if I miss the kick, he's hopping backwards and at my mercy.

Single leg takedown. But I don't do it with my arms. I do it by putting him on one leg and then kicking that leg out from under him.

Does that count?
That's more a sweep than what's called a "single leg takedown."

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

While not my own work we have this same technique in our dog-fist style repertoire and I'm personally a big fan of it. The variation shown at 0:20 is the one I prefer, as it puts you in a better position on top of your opponent.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

While not my own work we have this same technique in our dog-fist style repertoire and I'm personally a big fan of it. The variation shown at 0:20 is the one I prefer, as it puts you in a better position on top of your opponent.
We practice this. Very nice.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We practice this as a variation of our Scissors takedown (which is done from standing). There's a forward and reverse version from the ground. I prefer the forward version, as I have more control of the leg.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We practice this as a variation of our Scissors takedown (which is done from standing). There's a forward and reverse version from the ground. I prefer the forward version, as I have more control of the leg.

we dont.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the most universal of techniques, by any stretch. It's among the last techniques we teach. The techniques in the last two sets are mostly either "gap fillers" (to fill spots between the most useful techniques) or "esoteric techniques" (techniques without direct application, that are used to teach some principles that make other techniques more useful).

(NOTE: The terms "gap filler" and "esoteric technique" are mine, not common usage in NGA.)

Latest Discussions