Shoulders up, chin down...feels akward

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
So recently, Iv'e switched schools, for a variety of reasons....they're boxing and kyokushin gym, and most my experience was origionally boxing, then I went to muay thai....well the muay thai gym I was, changed my old boxing habits, to adjust to their style...

well this new gym i'm at, is trying to get me back into my old habits... Shoulders raised, head tucked into the chin. I was wondering if this particular technique is a good mesh for kickboxing, and if anyone has advice on getting speed while my shoulders are up/shrugged.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Advice? Keep you Chin tucked, and keep your head moving. It might feel awkward if you're used to something else but you know what is even more awkward?

Not knowing where you are or what happened for those first few seconds after waking up from having the electricity shut off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You will strike more effectively with your chin up and your hands about shoulder hight.

You will also get your face smashed in if somone is hitting back.

What I do is bring my elbows forwards and rest them on the front of my body. This takes the pressure off my shoulders a bit. While still letting me keep a tight guard.

images

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chin down, shoulders rolled forward (will engage your lat muscles) and help keep your hands up while also helping cover your chin.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
You will strike more effectively with your chin up and your hands about shoulder hight.

You will also get your face smashed in if somone is hitting back.

What I do is bring my elbows forwards and rest them on the front of my body. This takes the pressure off my shoulders a bit. While still letting me keep a tight guard.

images
I'm trying your advice, it feels more "natural" and it makes me feel like i'm throwing my jabs and crosses, straighter with more ease.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer chin up and moving. By this I mean the head should move as needed. Walking around with the Chin down changes your field of vision. It shifts the blind spot making it easier to sneak in hits at the top. Chin down will help protect the chin, but for my system I only know of one technique that targets the chin, everything else targets things I can break or specific areas on the side, top, or back of the skull.

There are some areas under the chin that can be protected by having the Chin down but most people don't go for those areas.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I fight with shoulders up but not by choice I have broad shoulders that aren't flexible and as a result they naturally rise. I wish I could get them to fall down a little. I think they are stuck because they don't go down much when I relax.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chin down and shoulders up is what I was taught and is what comes natural.

I also like a Crab Style stance

e916f3_d822bee83b8c425cac65b5bd2773e2a6.jpg

Chin down behind lead shoulder

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So recently, Iv'e switched schools, for a variety of reasons....they're boxing and kyokushin gym, and most my experience was origionally boxing, then I went to muay thai....well the muay thai gym I was, changed my old boxing habits, to adjust to their style...

well this new gym i'm at, is trying to get me back into my old habits... Shoulders raised, head tucked into the chin. I was wondering if this particular technique is a good mesh for kickboxing, and if anyone has advice on getting speed while my shoulders are up/shrugged.
I use shoulders up or hands up. Often, lead shoulder up and rear hand up. But never freezing in a position. Everything up is like... panic. :)

Speed with shoulders up/shrugged? It seems a tense stance. And tension slows the movement...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A little trick. Bend your knees, more, and the shoulders will rise up, naturally.
I wonder if that's what's going on with me, being that I fight in a low stance. I need to review my videos to see if there is a difference between my high stance in low stance.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if that's what's going on with me, being that I fight in a low stance. I need to review my videos to see if there is a difference between my high stance in low stance.
You will find weight lifting is easier with the knees bent, It releases some mechanism, inside.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shoulders up, chin down...feels akward

Defense is important. But when strong defense can prevent you from having strong offense, there will be problem. You just can't hide yourself in cave all your life. The moment that you crawl out of your cave, you have to deal with risk.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hands up, chin down - shoulders take care of themselves if you know how to use them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little trick. Bend your knees, more, and the shoulders will rise up, naturally.
Interesting. I don't seem to do that, but I think I've trained my shoulders down (need them down during technique). I wonder if that's why students have a hard time getting their shoulders down when they should be down.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thoracic extension and tucked chin is ideal. My bastard throat, good for nothing but eating and singing, is structured so that I suffocate myself when I tuck my chin. Thankfully I made sure I was extra good at blocking and slipping.

Latest Discussions