Should We Put Cameras On Cops?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If bad cops were the epidemic some would have you believe, we'd be seeing daily maybe even hourly reports. Still, cops (and judges and lawmakers) should be monitored.

how many cops are currently facing charges for breaking the law?
400 or so just in New York... thats more then 1 a day right?

of course I still think they are the exception rather then the norm with many more cops being good people.
But it doesn't mean anyone should blindly trust them.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO the fact of the matter (all "One is too many" aside...) is that there has been, is, and always will be a percentage of "Bad (X)" X=profession of choice. Humans hold these jobs.

While we should do everything we can to hold that percentage down, I believe that there are some people who will hold the belief that there is a widespread problem regardless of how small we make it. I have said it before and I will say it again. THE POLICE is not some monolithic group that all act the same, think the same, or work alike. We are not. I refuse to accept responsibility for a single cop, or even an entire department tainted by corruption or other problem. I don't act that way and neither does MY department.

Last edited:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From January 2010 through December 2010 the National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project recorded 4,861 unique reports of police misconduct that involved 6,613 sworn law enforcement officers and 6,826 alleged victims.
The current US average projected police misconduct rate is an estimated 977.98 officers per 100,000 officers (mean 909.31 per 100k) as calculated using data gathered from all of 2010.
.98%
Note the -point-98, not 98.
http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/?page_id=4135
More data there, mine as you will.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a complicated issue and no mistake! In the end, I think I have to come down on the "No" side for constant monitoring of what our police are doing.

Leaving aside the rights issues of the fact that they would also be recording "us" if they were always 'wired', these men and women are those entrusted to enforce the laws of the land.

Implicit in that is that "we" trust "them" to hold themselves to a standard of conduct that justifies our faith. Recording all of "them" all the time demonstrates to the Thin Blue Line that we do not trust them and that has all kinds of consequences on how the police behave and operate and recruit.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. I think you're right that many officers would feel affronted. I'm of the opinion that the cameras would support the officers though, much as the dash board cams have. I do think it would be kind of unnerving to have a camera on board during the normal day of my job.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
.98%
Note the -point-98, not 98.
http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/?page_id=4135
More data there, mine as you will.

yep I had no delusions that the numbers would be high.
1% chance the cop you are confronted by is a dirty cop... actually let me change that, they catch 1% of all cops being dirty cops, that doesn't include the oens they dont catch, whether that is 1 more cop, or 1000's noone can say.
Just for kicks...
I wonder what the chances of the average citizen you meet being a serial killer? Probably less then 1%.
I wonder what the chances of the average citizen being a gang member? Probably once again less then 1%
I wonder what the chances of the average citizen fighting say brain cancer, or lung cancer, or aids.... no clue the percentage... but I think you get my point, and the only point I have ever tried to make when it comes to police officers.
I think that if you have a confrontation with an officer the chances are great its going to be handled professionally, and according to the law, but there is a 1% or higher chance it won't be. Making sure you are not blindly allowing yourself to be at greater risk by that 1% is a good thing.
I try to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I think when it comes to LEOs most people hope for the best, and dont bother thinking about planning for anything.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think when it comes to LEOs most people hope for the best, and dont bother thinking about planning for anything.
This is why I have 5 attorneys on my speed dial, and travel with contact info for most of the LEO's I know. Never had to use either though.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I have 5 attorneys on my speed dial, and travel with contact info for most of the LEO's I know. Never had to use either though.

+1

All of which will be far more effective than planning to fight some rouge cop out of a fantasy episode of The Shield or obsessing about some scenario involving shooting at cops who are trying to force their way into your house.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
+1

All of which will be far more effective than planning to fight some rouge cop out of a fantasy episode of The Shield or obsessing about some scenario involving shooting at cops who are trying to force their way into your house.

I really hope this is a hot female cop we are talking about and not some crazy lunatic out of the Rocky Horror Picture show...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This technology is coming it really only is a matter of time!
icon6.gif

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is, it has to be an always on situation. If you allow for officer control, you will have cases where they will "forget" to turn it on.
Case in DC where 11 responding cars all had "broken" cameras comes to mind.
You can argue the officers right to take a crap without being listened in on, something I can sympathize with, but unless it's an always-on, there will be room for abuse, and there will be those who will abuse it.

Another point in support of 'always on' is how many times have we posted videos where someone has said 'you don't know what was said/happened before the clip shown'. Always on negates most of that.

ANY such system should also be monitored by a unbiased 3rd party. A real-time system could also be used where officers doing stops can be monitored in real time. Again, how many clips have we seen where a lone officer has been attacked and often killed? Real time monitoring would allow officers performing stops to more rapidly receive assistance and back up when needed.

Anyone on here volunteer to have 8 hours of their working day entirely monitored with both audio and video?.......including private conversations had between you and a co-worker? These are always a good idea 'for other people'.

I'd volunteer for 'always on' when the Chief and the Mayor volunteer to carry one around too.

In fact, perhaps these would be a good idea for presidents and members of congress.......they do far more harm with their interactions than any individual officer ever could.

Latest Discussions