Should all head strikes in a self defense situation be considered deadly force?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a punch to the head is considered lethal force merely because it can (in very rare cases) kill, then a strike ANYWHERE is lethal force, because any strike could conceivably kill.

Indeed. Exactly precisely, indeed. Exactly.

All attacks are "potentially lethal." All lethal responses are, in fact, justifiable under the doctrine of self-defense.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not quite.

I could push you...knock you over...have your head hit the pavement and kill you. A shove isn't cause for using deadly physical force.

The circumstances and reasonableness of your actions will always factor in more than any particular strike directed at you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not quite.

I could push you...knock you over...have your head hit the pavement and kill you. A shove isn't cause for using deadly physical force.

The circumstances and reasonableness of your actions will always factor in more than any particular strike directed at you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

But it also could be. If I was an old and frail man and some young guy pushed me down on the side walk, that might kill me. I might be justified in pulling a revolver and shooting the young man.

I feel like there are some limitations in our societies thinking that muddy this up intentionally. Society is as it is though.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, should someone decide to take a swing at my head, there's precedent for considering it a deadly threat-especially if they happen to say something along the lines of, oh, I'm gonna effing kill you!!! while they're doing it..

You would also have to consider their tone when they say that, it does not necessarily mean they intend to murder you it can be just a figure of speech.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've asked myself this before, when I read a similar article when a kid slugger punched a ref over a disagreement. The kid was huge though, and the man middle-aged, and died of the injury.

I ask this- who throws a head strike, in a realistic setting, without the hope of it knocking someone out, even if its by accident?

That being said, then isn't any head-contact, which always risks that, to a degree life-risking?

I say yes, and couch that all head strikes are potentially lethal.

Unlikely when it happens, unless deliberately sought for, but all techniques carry risk like this, to a degree. Striking to nerves, arteries, etc., vital points, all really carry such risk.

Latest Discussions