Shotokan and Van Damme

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I saw Bloodsport in High School, I liked it. Looking back as an adult, I think he is an absolutely lousey actor, and his fight choreography is terrible.

The Quest is another showcase of horrible acting and gawd-awful fight choreography on his part. Boy, there is just nothing like standing nose-to-nose with a beefy bruiser, trading body shots with neither making any effort to block or evade in the mean time. Just dish out and take an equal amount of punishment. Stupid.

Wow, you must absolutely love the Rocky movies. I have seen all six countless times and he was the absolute worst at blocking I have ever seen.

I know I am not a Seagal fan at all, after Above the Law, I never watched another film. With his Aikido he never puts space between himself and other attackers. It is just ridiculous, I mean the roots of Aikido and Hapkido come from the same place. Now, remember I love flow drills against multiple attackers so using an aggressor to separate myself from another is just my favorite strategy. Actually, Shotokan is a very straight forward art, he did use parries to make attacking blows.

Plus, every block is a strike and every strike is a crippling technique. Shotokan and Tae Kwon Do as arts, not playful sparring as they have become, do share those commonalities.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, we have a new student in Tae Kwon Do and my Yudo class. Jeff, a brown belt in Shotokan made the comment to me in class Thursday Night. "Van Damme is a great champion and has a handful of movies I like." So I suppose that is saying something.

Latest Discussions