Shorin and Goju.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've practiced Goju and seen some Shorin. I recently commented to someone that, despite the fact that Goju means hard and soft, I find it harder and so more similar to Shotokan than Shorin, which I find softer. Would others agree? My Shorin knowledge is somewhat meager.

I should say that I felt constrained to use these two as comparisons, and overall I don't find Goju nearly as hard as Shotokan or even all that similar to it; Goju has lots of circular movements, and soft kata like Tesnho. It was a relative comparison of Shorin and Goju.

T

tmanifold

I had a friend whose father had black belts in both Goju and shotokan. He said that Goju was softer and more flexible(in terms of using both hard and soft instead of just hard). One must remember that Goju is a Karate, therefore mostly comes from the Okanowin Te style and that Shorin is a kempo which is a style of fung fu with a lot more chinese influence. This could explian the differnence, maybe Goju is considered "soft" for a karate style while Shorin is in a different group all together.

Tony

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have always been intrested in Goju Ryu. how does it differ from say Okinawa Kempo. I know the kata's are different, but what else makes it different.
Bob :asian:

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by tmanifold

...... He said that Goju was softer and more flexible(in terms of using both hard and soft instead of just hard). One must remember that Goju is a Karate, therefore mostly comes from the Okanowin Te style.......

Uh........please look at the history of Goju a little closer and you can find it came from China and not too long ago at that.

Originally posted by tmanifold

...... and that Shorin is a kempo which is a style of fung fu with a lot more chinese influence. This could explian the differnence, maybe Goju is considered "soft" for a karate style while Shorin is in a different group all together.

Actually Shorin has more of a connection and influence from Okinawa te.

The hardness and softness are influenced more by the practitioner/teacher than anything else.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

I have always been intrested in Goju Ryu. how does it differ from say Okinawa Kempo. I know the kata's are different, but what else makes it different.

My teacher had 3 main teachers and one of them was Nakamura Shigeru the founder of Okinawa Kempo.
The katas are the main difference, also full contact sparring is done in Okinawa Kempo, Kobudo is also more emphasized.

C

Chiduce

Actually, the shuri-te development into Shorin-Ryu ( Young Forest Style) was a more speedier and offensive system; while the naha- te development into Goju-Ryu system was more forceful and defensive. Naha-te emphasized more soft techniques and taoist breathing philosophy. Shuri-te is believed to have derived from Shaolin Kenpo. One of the first Shuri-te practitioners was Shinjo Choken in the (late 1600-early 1700's), which started the historical beginnings the of Shorin-Ryu style. Next, considered the first true teacher of okinawan karate was Tode Sakugawa; who's style was a mixture of Chinese Kenpo and Shuri-te. In 1756 Tode Sakugawa became the student of the well known Kenpo Master, Kusanku. Next comes Sakugawa's most noted student of Sokon Matsumura. Sokon Bushi Matsumura studied the teachings of Sakugawa's Shuri-te, Chinese Kenpo, and Kusanku Kenpo mixture; until 1830 when he traveled to China himself to study the Shaolin style of Chinese Kenpo and Weaponry.
So, it can be safely assumed that the Shorin-Ryu System indeed resulted from the Shaolin Chinese Kenpo Style. For Matsumura Seito, this would be the White Crane Style Of Shaolin Chinese Kenpo, of which i'am a Kinshinkan member! This is also evident in the systems kata (though all the styles of Shorin-Ryu, (matsu, ko, and shobayashi) kata are basically the same) of, Hakutsuru/White Crane (which uses the elements taught in the shaolin chinese kenpo system) and stresses using the Crane's Hane/Wing; Chinto, ( which stresses the White Cranes One Legged Stance); and Gojushiho, (or Fifty- Four Steps Of The Black Tiger, which emphaiszes the using of the Cranes Beak and Neck).
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Is there a difference in these styles of GoJu?
If i understand your meaning correctly; there are different derivatives of Goju-Ryu. Yet, the kata, like shorin-ryu are all basically the same and very traditional in dojo execution.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

T

tmanifold

I think Chinese Goju is the style Ron Vanclef invented. Either that or he is just the most well known. I can't remember.

Tony

M

Mike Clarke

Intresting post.
My undestanding is that Go and Ju in the name goju-ryu does not really mean Hard and Soft in the sense that this is how the techniques are done.
In any case, it would be closer to the meaning of go and ju to say strong and gentle (as in pliable). Miyagi Chojun sensei was trying as far as I can tell, to get people to understand the sense of balance one needs to achieve things (in life and in the dojo).
In much the same way as Yin and Yang work together to make a whole, so too do go and ju.
Within each one there is something of the opposit, so we can not see goju in such simplistic terms as hard and soft. Such lines of thought are not unusual when one thinks of goju-ryu's history. Almost every Okinawan karate teacher who was asked to put a name to his style by the Butokukai, came up with a way of discribing this sense of balance, Shito-ryu for example was originaly called Hanko-ryu, meaning Half-hard style.
Also, we should not get hooked on the names people use for their training. I've met many people who say they train in goju-ryu but have little sense of balance (in the bigger sense), and know little of the history of the'tradition' they say they are following.
This does not make them bad people, only ill-educated.

Peace and harmony
Mike Clarke.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike Clarke

Almost every Okinawan karate teacher who was asked to put a name to his style by the Butokukai, came up with a way of discribing this sense of balance, Shito-ryu for example was originaly called Hanko-ryu, meaning Half-hard style.

Interesting! I hadn't known that.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

I've practiced Goju and seen some Shorin. I recently commented to someone that, despite the fact that Goju means hard and soft, I find it harder and so more similar to Shotokan than Shorin, which I find softer. Would others agree? My Shorin knowledge is somewhat meager.

I should say that I felt constrained to use these two as comparisons, and overall I don't find Goju nearly as hard as Shotokan or even all that similar to it; Goju has lots of circular movements, and soft kata like Tesnho. It was a relative comparison of Shorin and Goju.

I am not sure what you mean by "hard" in this case. In Karate as well as Chinese arts hard doesn't mean hard like a rock and soft doesn't mean soft like Jell-O..........
However, in my opinion all Japanese styles (JKA,JKF, Wado, Shotokan, Shotokai) tend to be very "stiff" and unnatural in their movements and rather looked down upon by Okinawan karate teachers.
Most Okinawan styles tend to be less "stiff" and use more circular movements using natural body mechanics.

Goju uses a lot of very circular movements and other Okinawan styles tend to "appear" to be more linear in theirs. I say "appear" to be because in actuality they are applied somewhat differently than they seem to be on the surface.

G

GojuBujin

Osu,

Goju karate ka here.

My own Sensei has been working on finding the ju in Goju. I have heard this from alot of people. It amounts to this. Let's say you spend your life time studying Goju. It is in the latter part say your 40's and 50's if you started young, that you move into the Ju cycle. (He's 37 and has only in the past few years of his 20 in the style starting tapping in the ju aspect of the art.)

My other Sensei who has been training for about 40yrs trained in okinawa and Japan and is 10th Dan in Goju and 10th Dan in Shorin-Ryu. (Legit ranks for any of those wondering, he's amazing....) Shorin does seem softer, esp. being primarily a Goju guy myself. He has found the best balancec in a martial artist I have seen, he can be very hard or very soft, it's an amazing thing to see!

Michael C. Byrd
http://www.inigmasoft.com/goyukai

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard something similar about Goju before--sanchin for the young and the softer tensho for the older.

M

Mike Clarke

Hello all,

I think there may be a bit too much 'generalization' going on here? Just because someone uses a name [goju for example] does not mean they are using the principles of that system. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a huge amount of people training in what they think of as 'Traditional' karate these days are involved with only a fraction of the system they think they're learning.

The kata practised in any particular style is of no significence at all. Shito-ryu, Kyokushin, Wado-ryu and Shotokan, all use kata from the Naha-te tradition, but do they look for Naha-te principles when they train in them, I don't think so?

Tenso kata has more to do with a persons understanding of the 'feeling' of goju-ryu than their age. It is listed at the end on the kata board simply because it requiers years of understanding before the movements can be made to work. Get to it too early and you're simply waving your arms about and giving yourself a sore throat with all that deep breathing. But more importantly, you will not have the skill [experience] to make the principles encoded in the kata work for you against an attacker [not a training partner, thats a different thing alltogether].

As I've said before, those who have a basic understanding of karate will only ever do basic karate, regardless of the kata their doing or the bunkai they practise. Those who have a deeper understanding will have the ability to make even the first kata taught to beginners look like 'advanced' technique.
It's not the kata that's advanced or basic, it's the person doing it.

Styles are a very modern thing and we give them far too much attention these days. I remember Michael's second instructor from his days in England [U.S. Airforce, if I remember correctly?], and yes he was fantastic back then in the early 1980's, so I have no doubt he has matured like a fine wine. He has many senior ranks in different styles, so ask yourself a question. If each style is SO different from the next, how come it's possible for someone to grasp so much in one life time?

I think at a certain level the paths converge and we get back to the way it use to be. As individuals we find our own paths but we're heading in the same direction , so should we wonder that after a certain point is reached, we find we can 'see' our own style in others?

Sanchin done correctly is wonderful at any stage of adulthood, as is Tensho. But neither are worth a Brass Razoo [old Australian term], if there done without the correct understanding.

Peace and love,
Mike

G

GojuBujin

Osu,

I suppose you mean me? (Michael)

Yes, Sensei Hobbs very amazing individual it's like living 50 miles away from a Samurai Warrior.

He is Colonel in the United States Aiforce. Highly ranked in Jujutsu and Iiado as well. It's so hard to drag those things out of him. He is, but he doesn't want you to know kind of thing. very very humble.

Michael C. Byrd
http://www.inigmasoft.com/goyukai

M

Mike Clarke

Yes Michael I meant you;)

I have a few old magazine articles and photos on Hobbs sensei, If you like I'll make you up a Christmas parcel, just let me know.

Mike.

Latest Discussions