Shorin and Goju.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
The uniqueness of GoJu is sometimes misunderstood. Where it starts out hard from Sanchin, it more then redeems itself with Tensho kata. Most karate-ka never fully understand how the GoJu, “hard/soft relate, and so miss the greatness of the art. :asian:
Well said. Sadly, many Goju practitioners also miss the proverbial boat when it comes to properly training sanchin and tensho kata. Maybe it is just me, but many here seem to have neglected the obvious when it comes to discussing the hard/soft aspects of karate in general. Here's a brief breakdown of what most students (in our dojo) learn from almost day one: Hard/soft in terms of attacks/strikes= hard against soft (punches,elbows,kicks...against softer areas of body)
Hard/soft in terms of Offensive movement= exhaling while entering/moving into an attackers range/attack. (This is done so as to maintain your stance/breathing if forcefully struck, esp. in the solarplexus) This would be considered a 'hard' attitude.
Defensive movement= Inhaling while retreating/avoiding an attack. Breathing in (soft attitude) brings one out of their rooted stance and also leaves one vulnerable to strikes, but at the same time allows for free movement. This is more emphasized in styles such as Shorin ryu, due to the fact that the majority of its techniques are used to circumvent (cut to the outside) of attacks.
Proper muscular tension in blocking= both hard and soft being used simultaneously. This is something misunderstood and mispracticed by many practioners (from what I have seen over the years-abroad-as well as here in Japan). Looking at sanchin kata as a good example, the blocks are not supposed to be performed with tenseness. The tensing comes in the chest/lat. area at the end of the movement (block) while the arm 'floats' through the block and slightly tenses at the very end. Sorry, this is hard to describe. It must be worked in order to be understood.
Anyway, that is how I view hard/soft training and meaning on one basic level of training.
Hope my ranting and overly simplistic view is found to be useful.
Yoroshiku

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well said. Sadly, many Goju practitioners also miss the proverbial boat when it comes to properly training sanchin and tensho kata. Maybe it is just me, but many here seem to have neglected the obvious when it comes to discussing the hard/soft aspects of karate in general. Here's a brief breakdown of what most students (in our dojo) learn from almost day one: Hard/soft in terms of attacks/strikes= hard against soft (punches,elbows,kicks...against softer areas of body)
Hard/soft in terms of Offensive movement= exhaling while entering/moving into an attackers range/attack. (This is done so as to maintain your stance/breathing if forcefully struck, esp. in the solarplexus) This would be considered a 'hard' attitude.
Defensive movement= Inhaling while retreating/avoiding an attack. Breathing in (soft attitude) brings one out of their rooted stance and also leaves one vulnerable to strikes, but at the same time allows for free movement. This is more emphasized in styles such as Shorin ryu, due to the fact that the majority of its techniques are used to circumvent (cut to the outside) of attacks.
Proper muscular tension in blocking= both hard and soft being used simultaneously. This is something misunderstood and mispracticed by many practioners (from what I have seen over the years-abroad-as well as here in Japan). Looking at sanchin kata as a good example, the blocks are not supposed to be performed with tenseness. The tensing comes in the chest/lat. area at the end of the movement (block) while the arm 'floats' through the block and slightly tenses at the very end. Sorry, this is hard to describe. It must be worked in order to be understood.
Anyway, that is how I view hard/soft training and meaning on one basic level of training.
Hope my ranting and overly simplistic view is found to be useful.
Yoroshiku
Sorry, I got in a hurry and forgot to mention that soft strikes such as the hammer fist and palm heal are generally used against harder areas of an attacker's body/offensive.

Latest Discussions