Shoppers stepped over victim

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is kind of sad....

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

Why would this stop anyone (other than emt) from rendering help? This is beyond comprehension. If the danger is past and someone is hurt, why (as a bystander) do not help?

It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of a car accident. Eagle columnist Mark McCormick told The Associated Press he learned about the video when he called Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams to inquire about a phone call he had received from a reader complaining about a Police Department policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a crime scene before rendering aid.

Link to article below:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/STABBING_VIDEO?SITE=UTSAC&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

- Ceicei

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. I know we need to suspend judgment till all the facts are in. I know that a lot of times things are not nearly as straightforward as they appear...

... but, in my current state of near-total ignorance of the situation, I still find it hard to avoid feelings of loathing for the person who (apparently calmly) snapped a photo of this poor woman dying on the floor of a convenience store... is that the best she could do for a fellow suffering human in what turned out to be the latter's last moments? No evidence of compassion or grief for what happened? Just a voyeur's souvenir of an unexpected death in the course of a shopping trip for some diet Coke?

It could be very different. I hope it is. But I'm finding it very hard not to react along those lines.... and I'd be very glad to turn out to be wrong about it...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The article stated that it took ~2 minutes to call 911... I can imagine being in shock and not reacting immediately - but continuing to shop? To take pictures? Eeuuww....

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FIVE people stepped over the victim?! That is outrageous. Has society as a whole become so callous that the life of anyone means nothing? What does it say about us as a people when things like this happen? I could not have just walked away and still been able to look at myself in the mirror afterward. I know that I'm not the most eloquent guy in the world but even my limited ability to express my disgust has been overloaded by this.

The law requiring EMTs to wait only applies if there is still an expectation of danger to the lives of the rescuers I think.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I second Exile's opinions made clear above and, letch, that short paragraph said all it needed to as eloquently as can be :tup:.

I've said elsewhere that I've been 'programmed' from an early age to render assistence if required, sometimes to the point of not allowing fear of consequences to hold me back.

Perhaps it's the latter fear of consequences that is in play here i.e. the litigous society has reared up to bite individual members because others will not come to their aid in case they get sued?

Anyway, like Exile rightly said, we don't know the facts so I shall bite my tongue ... but sometimes I'm not proud of my species.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can say is that, yes, society has indeed been filled with such callous folk. I'm only amazed that no one actually stepped ON her...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I programmed myself to render aid where needed, especially in a situation like that. Where the perp had already left the scene and someone's life's blood is running out on the ground crying for help.
Inexcusable, inhuman and one hopes that the same will befall those who didn't help. That they will SEE people stepping over them as they lie bleeding.

Sad.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I programmed myself to render aid where needed, especially in a situation like that. Where the perp had already left the scene and someone's life's blood is running out on the ground crying for help.
Inexcusable, inhuman and one hopes that the same will befall those who didn't help. That they will SEE people stepping over them as they lie bleeding.

Sad.

Being a civilian and having been a first responder to couple of accidents, I understand giving aid, even if it nothing more than a jacket or blanket while a person is trapped in a vehicle. Or trying to stop the blood flow. Or in one case making sure no one else came along in the fog and ran into them.

Although, given what I read in the linked article, it seems to be either a triangle or two woman who were fighting and one stabbed the other. Not knowing tghe neighborhood and past issues, but if it was a gang issue then some people might be concerned about retaliation if they helped. In particular if it has happened before. So, until more information is available I will hold my comments, and hope that it just does not happen again.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being a civilian and having been a first responder to couple of accidents, I understand giving aid, even if it nothing more than a jacket or blanket while a person is trapped in a vehicle. Or trying to stop the blood flow. Or in one case making sure no one else came along in the fog and ran into them.

Although, given what I read in the linked article, it seems to be either a triangle or two woman who were fighting and one stabbed the other. Not knowing tghe neighborhood and past issues, but if it was a gang issue then some people might be concerned about retaliation if they helped. In particular if it has happened before. So, until more information is available I will hold my comments, and hope that it just does not happen again.
I've got no sympathy for these bystanders...

We know at least one had a damn cell phone. How ****ing hard would it be to dial 911, say "A woman's been stabbed at wherever" and hang up?

I guarantee police would have responded to check it out. Caller would have been anonymous.

The need to publish the video, complete with stills and enhanced images of the people who walked by... They apparently can't be bothered to do the bare minimum... No, wait. They did do the bare minimum in that they didn't step on the victim. What they didn't do was the minimum duty expected of another human being, especially Christians.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I can say is that, yes, society has indeed been filled with such callous folk. I'm only amazed that no one actually stepped ON her...

Ya beat me to saying that..Just when I think I've seen every act of calliousness, something like this happens..

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was not there and will try to withhold rendering my own judgment on the bystanders and the stabber and the women stabbed. Gangs, retaliations and street justice may be individually or together playing a part in this particular event. Having seen first hand man’s inhumanity I am no longer surprised at it but now marvel at how man can risk all for a stranger and understand and deeply admire the greatness and grace that some display. This event is a reminder to all that bad things do happen and that to rely on help from authorities or even from others can be a lethal mistake. I pray for the victim and the young lady charged in the murder and those that witnessed the crime and their families. A single brief act of violence can affect so many people in so many ways.

Brian King

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if nobody was medically trained, at the least, someone should have called 911 and started medical and police services. Had this been done sooner, there may have been a chance that she could've lived.

As Sukerkin stated, its possible people were afraid of retaliation by the suspects, further injuring the victim, etc.

Its certainly a sad situation.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It should just be a natural instinct to want to help someone else, especially if they're injured. Even if no one there knew first aid, they could've at least made an attempt at helping her. It's not exactly brain surgery, in regards of applying a bandage (at the VERY least). All the more reason to learn first aid/ CPR...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
How sad has society gotten when something like this happens?

And what the hell are you going to do with a picture of a dying person? Show it to your mates and say, "Look here's a shot I got of a person I couldn't be buggered to help?"

Two minutes to call 911? What was the store owner doing? Hmm someone's been stabbed in my store, I'll just serve this customer then call emergency services.

Have we become so inured to violence and callous behaviour that it no longer impacts us? Have we become so foolish with petty litigation that we have created a situation where no one will help another?

Hearing of people doing this infuriates me. I'd just like to get them all and give them slap and shout "WAKE UP!!!"

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should just be a natural instinct to want to help someone else, especially if they're injured.

This, I think, is the heart of all our outrage, however we try to suspend it while awaiting more information. How could no one care?? Where is the human warmth and empathy that we ourselves crucially depend on when we're in trouble and must rely, as the old saw has it, on the kindness of strangers?

Beyond our anger at the apparent callousness here—and Drac is dead right, just when you think you've seen or heard of everything, something like this happens—I think it chills us a bit to think that the attitude that the people in the store displayed, particularly the one who took the picture, might be the way we really feel about each other now. Is that the most we can now expect of our fellows?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
exile wrote
“Is that the most we can now expect of our fellows?”

Yes, that is what we can and should expect of our fellows, it is nothing new this callousness and selfishness. It has been with man since the beginning with only a few bright lights shining here and there throughout our shared history. Our job as I see it is to understand this weakness of man and to recognize it in ourselves and with the recognition and understanding to then choose to step beyond the evil of it, setting the example for others to follow and acknowledging and thanking others when they do step beyond, and raise the bar for all with-in our spheres of influence

Brian King

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that the most we can now expect of our fellows?

In a word, no. We're comparing the actions of what? Five people? Against the thousands of people who have seen the report and been horrified by it? The fact that this is even a national news article belies the claim that this is in any way representative of our society in general. If it was, they wouldn't have reported on it because the rest of us wouldn't care either.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
exile wrote

Yes, that is what we can and should expect of our fellows, it is nothing new this callousness and selfishness. It has been with man since the beginning with only a few bright lights shining here and there throughout our shared history. Our job as I see it is to understand this weakness of man and to recognize it in ourselves and with the recognition and understanding to then choose to step beyond the evil of it, setting the example for others to follow and acknowledging and thanking others when they do step beyond, and raise the bar for all with-in our spheres of influence

Brian King

In a word, no. We're comparing the actions of what? Five people? Against the thousands of people who have seen the report and been horrified by it? The fact that this is even a national news article belies the claim that this is in any way representative of our society in general. If it was, they wouldn't have reported on it because the rest of us wouldn't care either.

Well, we have a clear difference of opinion here!

I'd much prefer it if Cory were right (I suspect Brian would as well :))... but I'm not at all sure what the answer is here (or even whether we're asking the right question)...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got no sympathy for these bystanders...

We know at least one had a damn cell phone. How ****ing hard would it be to dial 911, say "A woman's been stabbed at wherever" and hang up?

I guarantee police would have responded to check it out. Caller would have been anonymous.

The need to publish the video, complete with stills and enhanced images of the people who walked by... They apparently can't be bothered to do the bare minimum... No, wait. They did do the bare minimum in that they didn't step on the victim. What they didn't do was the minimum duty expected of another human being, especially Christians.

Believe me, I have no sympathy if as stated it is al the evidence.

Now personally I would be asking who took the picture. To me this sounds like a confirmation picture of someone who put a "hit" or "Lesson" out on someone. This person would be someone I would be investigating. I am not paranoid I know most people are evil and out to get me. I just follow the the idea of wait and see until I have mroe information.

Not trying to bring up old news but I also took a wait and see with the Duke Case. As in this case there seems to be a lot of questions on how people acted and why. What are their affiliations and or motivations (* revenge or survival *). If the person taking the picture was a local "Known" affiliate then I could see people trying to wait to give aid until this person left so as to not be the next target. Terrorism and fear are horrible things to live with.

Yet, as I have painted an even more horrible picture of the fear, it still does not justify their actions. It could explain them, though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now personally I would be asking who took the picture. To me this sounds like a confirmation picture of someone who put a "hit" or "Lesson" out on someone. This person would be someone I would be investigating. I am not paranoid I know most people are evil and out to get me. I just follow the the idea of wait and see until I have mroe information.

It's worth looking into -- but I don't think it's very likely. It's more likely that it was just some loser who decided this was "just to KEWL!" and had to take a picture.

Just like the folks who were busy trying to catch the VA Tech shooting on camera istead of calling the cops with the very same cell phones -- or just plain getting out of the way.

As a culture, we've developed this obsession with watching and recording and getting that "film at at eleven" so much that people are so distanced from what's happening that they don't make the connection to realize that they are seeing real people really getting hurt. At least I hope it's that benign... Because the other alternative is just that people don't give a damn anymore. And that scares me.

Latest Discussions