Shootings at US army base.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're reporting that one of the shooters is a US Army major. Major Malik Nadal Hasan. But don't read too much into that, of course, he was probably just stressed.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
We're hearing 12 confirmed dead and over 20 injured. One of the dead is a gunman. The report was three gunman, all soldiers.

:asian:

Joel

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
12 dead and 31 wounded. This is about 60 miles from me.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to the friends and families, more so for those waiting for news.
It's late here so have to go off to bed, work early in morning. If there's any sort of thing like a memorial book, fund etc going to be put in place please could someone post up for me? I know it's early yet but would like to pay respects and let someone know us over the water in our Garrison are thinking of them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad. Disgusting. Horrible.

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/b...od-ABC-identifies/eiYdLkNHr0mkJ9VVi0AOSA.cspx

According to a source on the base, it is rare for firearms to be on the base because they are locked up.

In addition, soldiers are not issued the carry permits that a private citizen may apply for. In addition, while in uniform and/or on (non-combat) duty, a soldier generally cannot carry a personal weapon.

The soldiers had no way of fighting back. What a dispicable, cowardly act.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/soldiers-killed-fort-hood-shooting/story?id=9007938
"Twelve people have been killed and 31 wounded"
"The suspected gunman was identified by ABC News as Major Malik Nadal Hasan."
"
The shooter was killed and two other suspects, who are also soldiers, have been apprehended, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone said.
The general said there were "eyewitness accounts of more than one shooter," and the others were tracked to an adjacent facility."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.shootings/index.html
The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, according to a law enforcement source. The source believes he is 39 or 40 years old.
Ten of the other dead also were soldiers, while the remaining one was a civilian police officer who was working as a contractor on the base, Cone said.
Two of the injured were in "very serious" condition, Fort Hood spokesman Christopher Hogue said.
Watch developments live
More than one shooter may have been involved, Cone said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572305,00.html
A shooting rampage Thursday afternoon at the Army's Fort Hood in Texas killed 11 and wounded 31 before the gunman was killed and two suspects taken into custody.
All three of the people believed to have carried out the shooting were soldiers, Lt. General Bob Cone told reporters Thursday evening, though the motive remains unclear.
AP cites an unnamed source saying the gunman was Major Malik Nadal Hasan, though authorities have not publicly identified him.
Cone said witnesses reported seeing more than one shooter, but that couldn't be confirmed. The primary shooter used two handguns, he said.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He was in the deployment processing center at the time.

Apparently he had just gotten orders to deploy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS:

The shooter is alive!

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/fort-hood-shooting-army-doctor-leaves-12-dead/Story?id=9007938&page=1

The shooter was initially reported to have been killed, but Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone told a late night news conference that the suspect was wounded and in custody. Cone would not say what Hasan's medical condition was, but said the suspect was not in danger of dying.
Hasan is not talking to authorities, said Cone.
The officer emphasized that there was only one gunman. Two other soldiers were taken into custody, but were later released.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The cynic in me sees a psychiatrist who went ape, and expects an insanity plea.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sickening.

brothers be warned... the enemy is within.

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
If he took the natural route he would have to be in a while. I have heard that he has been in the Army since before 9/11.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has there been any confirmation from a reliable source that the shooter was Muslim? Other than the "I saw his name and I just knew it was time for another anti-muslim rant" crowd that's all over Facebook? I haven't seen it confirmed or not yet.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has there been any confirmation from a reliable source that the shooter was Muslim? Other than the "I saw his name and I just knew it was time for another anti-muslim rant" crowd that's all over Facebook? I haven't seen it confirmed or not yet.
Fox had a cousin of his on the phone, stated, unequivocally that he was a lifelong Muslim.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he took the natural route he would have to be in a while. I have heard that he has been in the Army since before 9/11.

Which he almost undoubtedly was. His undergrad was from VA Tech where he was ROTC, graduating in 1997. He earned his medical degree at USUHC which means he would have been commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant upon entering.

Assuming he graduated from VA Tech in the Spring of 1997 and started at USUHC shortly thereafter, he's been a commissioned officer for 12 years.

Rank of Major sounds appropriate for his length of service.

Latest Discussions