Shootings at US army base.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it ironic that he was finally taken down by a female police officer. I hope that irony is not lost on the fundamentalists who are probably celebrating this event.

She did exactly what a cop should do in that situation and did it well. She's a hero.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, of West Jordan, Utah
how ironic.

I usually can project myself pretty well into another person's situation, but situations like these are just incomprehensable.

The more we learn the less clear everything becomes.

Of course, there are always individuals who rock the boat and then claim abuse...

Godspeed to all, and prayers to the surviors and families.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the first shock of the horror goes off how often we hear of the stories of bravery and heroism that took place and how much it makes us realise that for every evil act there are hundreds, thousands, of good people who will place their fellow humans before themselves and do the right thing.
Through the tears you have to smile with pride.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is nearly impossible for me to comment on this in a way that wont get me banned from martialtalk, and as I've grown rather fond of this place, I'll confine my remarks to the following:

1. As a soldier, I can't fathom the idea of killing one of my comrades. The horrific vileness of the act is a betrayal of all of the ideals and values that we, as warriors, are supposed to embody. This piece of filth is a disgrace to the two hundred years of tradition, honor, service, and brotherhood that our uniforms stands for.

2. The fallen are murder and attempted murder victims and the disgusting worm that opened fire on them is a murderer. He should be tried and punished to the fullest extent under the UCMJ.

Mark

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you here, even as a Capt, there aren't a whole lot of people who even CAN harrass me, let alone actually do. Most of the time, even other CGO's (Company Grade Officers; 2LT, 1LT, Capt) are respectful and use sirs, ranks, etc until you know the person.

I'm sorry, but if you're a Major, in the Army, you know what you got into. You know the deployment tempo, you know that you have to go, and you know better than to listen to every private coming back from the field. The guy was just a nut job.

We take any kind of discrimination or harrassment VERY VERY seriously. Prosecutions are quick and investigations are thorough.

Very, very true.

To expand. I am a Promotable Staff Sergeant in the Army (E6-P) and anyone attempting that to someone at my rank would have to have a lot on their collar to get away with it, let alone a major. Not only on account of rank, but the genral policies on EO. Those sorts of violations are carrer enders.

I don't get the idea of someone that joins up in the current operating environment and expects not to deploy. We've been at war for 8 years now, so it isn't like its a surprise. I guess the Army was good enough to pay for his education but when the time came to do his duty, well...

Mark

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition, soldiers are not issued the carry permits that a private citizen may apply for. In addition, while in uniform and/or on (non-combat) duty, a soldier generally cannot carry a personal weapon.

The soldiers had no way of fighting back. What a dispicable, cowardly act.

We are able to get conceal carry permits. I have one. We just are not able to carry on post, which is a shame as this sort of this wouldn't have reached the numbers that it did if more soldiers had been armed.Some states are a bit restrictive about issuing to soldiers based on the soldiers actual state of residency, but there is no blanket prohibition in any state that issues such permits that I have been stationed.

Just wanted to clarify.

Mark

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is nearly impossible for me to comment on this in a way that wont get me banned from martialtalk, and as I've grown rather fond of this place, I'll confine my remarks to the following:

1. As a soldier, I can't fathom the idea of killing one of my comrades. The horrific vileness of the act is a betrayal of all of the ideals and values that we, as warriors, are supposed to embody. This piece of filth is a disgrace to the two hundred years of tradition, honor, service, and brotherhood that our uniforms stands for.

2. The fallen are murder and attempted murder victims and the disgusting worm that opened fire on them is a murderer. He should be tried and punished to the fullest extent under the UCMJ.

Mark

Mark, you have said it all and there's no one will disagree with you. The comments from our soldiers I heard yesterday are all unrepeatable for reasons you'll understand, British squaddies language is colourful and very descriptive but not suitable here. I doubt it's nothing that hasn't however been said by their American comrades in arms.
There's no honour only evil in a medic gunning down unarmed comrades.
The body count may well have been lower if others had carried weapons but that would mean a basic lack of trust in a place where trust is sacred, if you can't trust fellow soldiers there is no hope.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
List of dead and partial list of wounded.

13 Killed

• Pfc. Michael Pearson, 21, of Bolingbrook, Illinois
  • Russell Seager, 51 of Racine, Wisconsin
  • Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29 of Kiel, Wisconsin
  • Franceska Valez, 21, Chicago, Illinois . She had just returned from Afghanistan due to pregnancy. She was 3 months pregnant.
  • Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, of West Jordan, Utah
  • Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22, of Frederick, Okla
  • Spc. Kham Xiong, 23, of St. Paul, Minn
  • Juanita Warman, 55, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - military physician assistant
  • Mike Cahill, 62, Cameron TX - civilian physician’s assistant
  • Capt. John Gaffaney, 56, Williston, N.D - psychiatric nurse
  • Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, 32, Plymouth, Ind
  • Major L. Eduardo Caraveo, 52, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico / Arizona

30 Wounded

• Amber Bahr, 19 of Random Lake, Wisconsin
  • Cpl. Nathan A. Hewitt, 27, of Lafayette, Indiana
  • Reservist Keara Bono, 21
  • Army Reserve Spc. Grant Moxon, 23 of Lodi Wisconsin
  • Ray Saucedo, wounded, from Greenville (Grand Rapids area), Michigan.
  • Keara Bono, wounded, Twin Cities/Kansas City.
  • Joy Clark, wounded, Des Moines, Iowa.
  • Nathan Hewitt, wounded, Lafayette, Indiana.
  • Alan Carroll, New Jersey
  • Matthew Cooke, New York
  • Joey Foster, Utah
  • Justin Johnson, Florida
  • Staff Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, North Carolina
  • 2nd Lt. Brandy Mason
  • Maj. Randy Royer, Alabama
  • George Stratton, Idaho

Fort Hood Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley - Wounded
Munley, 34, was wounded in the exchange with the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. Authorities said she shot Hasan four times. She is being treated for her wounds.
Fort Hood Commander Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said Friday that Fort Hood police Sgt. Kimberly Munley and her partner responded within three minutes of reported gunfire Thursday afternoon. Cone said Munley shot the gunman four times despite being shot herself. Officials said Munley was in stable condition. Cone said, "It was an amazing and an aggressive performance by this police officer." Cone also said he was inspired by a woman who helped carry a wounded victim and used her blouse as a tourniquet, then later realized she'd been shot in the hip.

Sources:
CNN.com
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Midwests-Fort-Hood-Casualties-69376622.html
http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11458413
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572726,00.html
http://www.kwtx.com/localnews/headlines/69396362.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572726,00.html

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions