Sharing My Training - Footwork

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the second part of the 25 minute video I made with the samples of some of the exercises that do for warm ups. I went slow so that you can see what's going on and then I went fast. These may not see important but if you have seen any of my sparring videos then you would have seen similar foot movement used in takedowns and takedown defenses. I won't go into a lot details on exactly how the exercises help. But below I touch on each clip.

The 1st clip shows what I call Cross Overs. You may know it by other names. The goal here is to keep your feet tight as possible without tripping over each other. Jow Ga Kung Fu is known for it's short shuffles and close footwork. How close? Well it's often compared to the footwork of a rat. This movement comes from Choy ga which is not the same as Jow Ga. 2 different families.

The 2nd clip are called side hops. I got slack on these. The feet shouldn't come together at all and shouldn't be as close as what you see here.

The 3rd clips show side hops changing directions. You can see here that my side hops are not as close as the second clip. Side hops are "magical" because there really is no forward or backwards. It's all relative to the direction my head is facing.

The 4th clip shows side shuffle in horse.

The 5th clip shows side shuffle in horse with staff foot work.

Like always feel free to ask question make recommendations.

Why are short steps important in Jow Ga? The longer it takes for your foot to plant on the ground the slower you are and the easier it is to sweep you. The shorter it takes for your foot to plant on the quicker you'll be and the sooner you'll have your root making more difficult for someone to sweep you.

This is Choy Ga. You can see how close the footwork is.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Form 0.10 - 1.12, in CMA, it's called

1. cover step - move one leg in front of another leg.
2. stealing step - move one leg behind another leg.

When you use either footwork, your opponent can sweep you if you are in your opponent's kicking range.
The purpose of this drill is to teach minimum distance between your feet and mobility. If you have good awareness of the distance between your feet then you are less likely to trip over your own feet or stumble. It helps to build agility in my footwork and It allows me to move quickly where foot room is limited.

When I do this the at the right time and the right place, then I don't have to worry about someone sweeping me. These are highly mobile movements. In the video you can see me easily move in and out of my partner's kicking range. You can also see me plant that uncertainty that I spoke of in another post. People hesitate when they are uncertain.
Bait kick to side hop
Bait kick to side hop
Crossover (stealing step) to takedown.

The best thing about this, is that most people have a difficulty in sweeping legs even if they take martial arts, so the risk is extremely low. Like everything else in martial arts you just have to set it up and time it when they are least able to counter or exploit the weakness.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me know when you see something that looks similar to what was in the first video posted.

similar here as well

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
most people have a difficulty in sweeping legs even if they take martial arts, so the risk is extremely low.
I agree that in the striking art, not too many people train the foot sweep.

When you sweep your opponent's leading leg, you don't have to sweep him down. As long as you can sweep his leading leg to be off the ground (put him in defense mode), you can safely enter at that moment. The foot sweep (or low roundhouse kick) can be just a set up for your entering strategy.

foot-landing-sweep.gif

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that in the striking art, not too many people train the foot sweep.

When you sweep your opponent's leading leg, you don't have to sweep him down. As long as you can sweep his leading leg to be off the ground (put him in defense mode), you can safely enter at that moment. The foot sweep (or low roundhouse kick) can be just a set up for your entering strategy.

foot-landing-sweep.gif
Ha the dummy in that video went full aikido throwing himself on the floor

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the second part of the 25 minute video I made with the samples of some of the exercises that do for warm ups. I went slow so that you can see what's going on and then I went fast. These may not see important but if you have seen any of my sparring videos then you would have seen similar foot movement used in takedowns and takedown defenses. I won't go into a lot details on exactly how the exercises help. But below I touch on each clip.

The 1st clip shows what I call Cross Overs. You may know it by other names. The goal here is to keep your feet tight as possible without tripping over each other. Jow Ga Kung Fu is known for it's short shuffles and close footwork. How close? Well it's often compared to the footwork of a rat. This movement comes from Choy ga which is not the same as Jow Ga. 2 different families.

The 2nd clip are called side hops. I got slack on these. The feet shouldn't come together at all and shouldn't be as close as what you see here.

The 3rd clips show side hops changing directions. You can see here that my side hops are not as close as the second clip. Side hops are "magical" because there really is no forward or backwards. It's all relative to the direction my head is facing.

The 4th clip shows side shuffle in horse.

The 5th clip shows side shuffle in horse with staff foot work.

Like always feel free to ask question make recommendations.

Why are short steps important in Jow Ga? The longer it takes for your foot to plant on the ground the slower you are and the easier it is to sweep you. The shorter it takes for your foot to plant on the quicker you'll be and the sooner you'll have your root making more difficult for someone to sweep you.

This is Choy Ga. You can see how close the footwork is.
thats very remonisant of exercises we ised to do as part of soccer training, apart drom the crab one later on

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thats very remonisant of exercises we ised to do as part of soccer training, apart drom the crab one later on
It's a good exercise and can be trained different ways by making slight adjustments. Perfect for a warmup for what I do

Latest Discussions