Setting the story straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynx6

White Belt
Reaction score
I just watched that Nat Geo doco about Fight Science and watched Glen Levy, who i had no previous knowledge of knowing in the Bujinkan. A quick browse of the internet and some less than legal info searches (fairly decent hacking skills, every ninja needs them these days) got me all the info i needed to find out exactly who this character is. In the process i was able to uncover this little forum and although i am reluctant to post on the internet anything related to the Bujinkan i felt i had to do it because there are some fairly decent people on this forum.

Firstly back to Glen Levy. He does not train under the Bujinkan anymore (although he once did, which is fairly obvious if you watch the doco) and created his own art... fair enough. Although because of the facts above he cannot be referred to as an expert or representitive of Ninjutsu, the 9 Ryu or the Bujinkan.

Secondly. Genbukan and Jinenkan should not be referred to as "decendents of" Bujinkan or any reference made to them or Manaka and Tanemura. NEVER EVER utter the names of either of these individuals in a Bujinkan dojo.
I've read there are some individuals who train in Japan atm under the Soke, it is your responsibility to make others aware. You don't need to know the reason, just know we don't mention them ... ever.

However
, if you wish to study ninjutsu and there is no Bujinkan dojo but another ninjutsu dojo it is acceptable to seek training from either the Genbukan and Jinenkan. Why? Ninjas are practical, if you want to train don't let something like that stand in your way. But always remember that Hatsumi is the Soke and whatever he says goes.

Third and most important point. Whatever anyone says on the internet is overriden by your certified Bujinkan Shidoshi... more on that point, whatever anyone else says is overriden by your Shidoshi, the Japanese Shihan and the most importantly the Soke himself.

Very good desu,
Train hard and know there are many talented Shihan around the world.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Secondly. Genbukan and Jinenkan should not be referred to as "decendents of" Bujinkan or any reference made to them or Manaka and Tanemura. NEVER EVER utter the names of either of these individuals in a Bujinkan dojo.
I've read there are some individuals who train in Japan atm under the Soke, it is your responsibility to make others aware. You don't need to know the reason, just know we don't mention them ... ever.

Uh.... I have had conversations with Japanese about these people. Lightning did not fall and strike me down. A Japanese I know once said that when Manaka left he gave a new name to his dojo, even his art and that was a lot better than a certain (gaijin) individual we were talking about. They may not be popular subjects of conversation, but they are not in the catagory of names that must never be mentioned.

However, if you wish to study ninjutsu and there is no Bujinkan dojo but another ninjutsu dojo it is acceptable to seek training from either the Genbukan and Jinenkan. Why? Ninjas are practical, if you want to train don't let something like that stand in your way. But always remember that Hatsumi is the Soke and whatever he says goes.

No. If you are a member of the Bujikan then the above goes against the wishes of Hatsumi. If you come on this board wanting to train in the art but there are no Bujinkan dojos near you to start your training, then you are correct in saying that we would point them in the direction of a Genbukan dojo or Jinenkan dojo. But the Genbukan has a rule against training with the Bujinkan and Hatsumi has made it known he does not want people studying in both styles at once.

Third and most important point. Whatever anyone says on the internet is overriden by your certified Bujinkan Shidoshi...

No. That sounds like a damn cult. If people are talking about acceptable behavior in the dojo, then it is only natural that the teacher you goes to has more say in what goes on in his dojo than anyone on the internet. In all other matters your advice sounds silly. I can't tell you the amount of times some poster tried to counter what I have said about Japanese history and language by giving their source as some high ranked teacher they trained under. I just sigh and point out that you don't need to speak Japanese to get a rank in Bujinkan but you need it to get the certification I have from the Japanese goverment and continue to explain the truth about Japanese expressions.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score

Or what? This is ridiculous.

Third and most important point. Whatever anyone says on the internet is overriden by your certified Bujinkan Shidoshi... more on that point, whatever anyone else says is overriden by your Shidoshi, the Japanese Shihan and the most importantly the Soke himself.
Again, ridiculous. What exactly is the point of this thread?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one of the things that irks me about those who study Traditional Ninjutsu. That it's a serious legitimate art by itself but often times there's so much bull crap hype around it that it's hard to take it seriously. When I meet a person who says they are studying ninjutsu, I will give them the proper respect a fellow martial artist is due. But as soon as the word NINJA comes up in the first person then all that respect goes flying out the window.
When a person says stuff like:
lynx6 said:
I have to agree with Seattletcj that it's just plain ridiculous. All that oooh secretcy and all that... c'mon man... if you're a serious MA-ist/Ninjutsu-ist then you're not going to go into the ultra secret handshakes and *poof* vanish in a cloud of smoke. You're going to study and practice and train and be serious about your art and appreciate the benefits it can give to you.
There are true practicioners of Ninjutsu (the legitimate martial art) and then there's the guys who spend several hundred dollars buying "authentic" outfits and gear that'll make people more likely to giggle than to shudder in fear when you're seen.

IF they're seen!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of the things that irks me about those who study Traditional Ninjutsu. That it's a serious legitimate art by itself but often times there's so much bull crap hype around it that it's hard to take it seriously. When I meet a person who says they are studying ninjutsu, I will give them the proper respect a fellow martial artist is due. But as soon as the word NINJA comes up in the first person then all that respect goes flying out the window.
When a person says stuff like:

I have to agree with Seattletcj that it's just plain ridiculous. All that oooh secretcy and all that... c'mon man... if you're a serious MA-ist/Ninjutsu-ist then you're not going to go into the ultra secret handshakes and *poof* vanish in a cloud of smoke. You're going to study and practice and train and be serious about your art and appreciate the benefits it can give to you.
There are true practicioners of Ninjutsu (the legitimate martial art) and then there's the guys who spend several hundred dollars buying "authentic" outfits and gear that'll make people more likely to giggle than to shudder in fear when you're seen.

IF they're seen!

Yes, that is a very good post! True practitioners of Budo Taijutsu are like every other type of martial artist in that we train and train hard in Bujutsu. Unfortunately because of stereotypes many people are hangers on and never study under a legitimate instructor and have a very, very, very skewed (messed up) reality regarding this art.

Tenchijin2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Setting the story straight? You don't even know what you're talking about.

You started with some cryptic references to the National Geographic program and some guy named Glenn Levy... and then we're talking about genbukan and jinenkan and what you're allowed to talk about?

Seriously man, where are you getting this stuff?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread closed pending review, since the OP is in violation of forum rules (and clueless besides :rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions