Getting to know you....question for ya

TAYLOR

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well one thing that was fun in the academy when we were talking to some of the "old school" cops was asking them what "did it for them". In other words....what was one of the most rewarding things that happened to them on the job. I pose a similar question here, considering that bujinkan training is a life long journey. What is one expierience (in this martial art or any other) that has happened to you that was really rewarding or sticks out as something that you'll never forget. I'm just curious because I believe that is a lot to learn from people that have been doing something for a long time. I also thought it would be fun to hear some of your stories, so anyone that has a story....I'd like to hear it.

-Taylor #463

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cannot relate any stories...The first time a stranger walked up and shook my hand and said "Thank You" for being on the job did it for me...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
In October of 2002, I was part of a security team from The Steele Foundation helping secure for evidentiary purposes the premises of a Wells Fargo Bank branch whose manager had been shot to death in the course of an armed robbery a few hours before. For me it wasn't just another assignment: Having spent 8 years as a member of Wells Fargo's security department, I sort of took this whole thing personally.

So there I am, feeling sort of grim and gloomy, when my cellphone rings.

Former student, relocated to Florida a decade earlier and hadn't trained since he was at my dojo. He'd been walking home the night before and was attacked by a gang, and was absolutely convinced that were it not for his training he would have died. As it was, he was fine; and he was calling to thank me.

At that point I was thinking, "Well, a life was lost here today. But another elsewhere was saved because of Hatsumi sensei's training, and I had a hand in that. If I get run over by a truck tomorrow, my life will on balance have been worthwhile."

But it got better. This former student also insisted on sending me a check for $10,000 as a strings-free donation to use in any way I wished, though what he'd most like was to see it used to help others in their training in some way.

So I, my wife, and one of our seniors set up what we came to call the "Angel Fund". We didn't make any sort of announcement about it and kept it very quiet while it lasted. But during that time, when deserving but financially challenged students in our estimation really needed to be able to attend someone's seminar -- or go to Japan -- we quietly let them know it could happen, and we made it so.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I had a story. All I can say is it has changed my life! I have had a couple of close calls but nothing to really elaborate about. They were really personal discoveries.

Latest Discussions