A question of getting started again

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had started out in Genbukan but due to financial diffilculty (my own fault as I lacked focus) I had to drop out. This was a few years ago. I also had a contact in the Bujinkan (A very nice Shidoshi who helped me finish up a fourth year multimedia project on Ninjutsu) and contacted him to see about training. At the time, there was a teacher close to us and for around 6 months or so we trained. Life intervened (in this case the car) and we had to stop for a bit. During that time, the gentleman moved around two + hours away.

There is a Genbukan dojo very close to us. But having had some training in Bujinkan, would I even be allowed to start with the organization.

I'm not in good enough shape to train at this dojo as it is quite intense. Not good enough shape YET that is. And I will be honest and say that I do tend to speak my mind, even though it may get me into hot water.

I'm curious in any case and before I go putting my foot in my mouth, figured I should get counsel of those that are wiser.

I thank you, whatever the outcome may be.

Last edited:
OP
C

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do tend to ramble a bit. Basically, given the fact that I trained for a time with a Bujinkan instructor (though never was officially a part of the org), would I be allowed to re-join the Genbukan?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I think so.

You were not an official bujinkan member
You never trained with a bujinkan member while being a genbukan member
You don't train with a bujinkan member anymore at the time you seek re-entry to genbukan.

Honestly, I really don't think it will be a problem. If you get questions, be sure to point out the above 3 things and you should be just fine.

WesternCiv

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cypher - obviously you should check with the instructor but as a former Genbukan member (yes- it's been a tough economy and my kids college tuition came before Genbukan dues!) I"m pretty sure there is no problem. I think you just can't be a member in both at the same time.

Each dojo has it's own character and some variations in training. As I'm sure your aware perhaps the biggest difference between the Bujikan and the Genbukan is the way they train - the Genbukan takes a more traditional approach while the Buj (please correct me if I'm wrong) has a more modern, or western approach to training. When I started training three years ago I walked into the dojo at 270 lbs and 47 years old. I did what I could and my instructor didn't have me do things that I obviously could not safely accomplish. Within seven months I had dropped almost forty lbs! The training was tough - lots of aches and pains and several workouts where I had to fight the urge to vomit - but the "brotherhood" or fellowship of the dojo, along with the encouragement from the Sensei and the feeling of accomplishment you get from learning and growing in a truely wonderful art helps get you through.

IMO both organizations offer excellent instruction. I'd go with the instuctor and dojo that you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck to you.

Troy Wideman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Cyber,

Yes, of course you can train in the Genbukan. The only rule is that you cannot be a member of both orgs at the same time. This goes for both organizations.

Good luck.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

OP
C

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Kyoshi Wideman. It will be a while before I jot down the street to visit (need to get into shape a bit first), but I am glad that I can do so.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you Kyoshi Wideman. It will be a while before I jot down the street to visit (need to get into shape a bit first), but I am glad that I can do so.

Don't waste too much time doing this, if I may give you a tip.
I've heard many people come up with this idea, but somehow they never get to the point where they actually join. If you want to do it, do it now and you will get into shape too.

You don't have to be in great shape to join. You will grow into it automatically, and learn martial arts at the same time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you make excuses, you won't go back.

Why not go back -- AND get in shape at the same time?

Kevin Geaslin

White Belt
Reaction score
In the "old days" you only had one opportunity to leave the Genbukan - anyone was welcome to join, but if you left, that was it. But reentry has become less stringent over the years. I know of a few people who left the Genbukan and came back years later, some even joined other ninpo organizations. But in most cases, people just don't pay their annual dues for a while and are afraid to ask about coming back. Just contact your local dojo, you shouldn't have a problem.